ADVERTISEMENT

On banning posters

WaveJumper

Mar 13, 2002
In light of the recent Canoli thread(s) and subsequent action taken, I just couldn't keep my opinion on this subject to myself, especially in light of what I perceive is taking place in our country with wokeness, cancel culture, and subsequent stifiling of the free interchange of ideas. Frankly, I found nothing in the Canoli thread(s) that offended me (as an alum, donor, and season ticket holder for 28 years). The banter was interesting, and nothing was life threatening. Maybe in times like this, for some, everything is life threatening. On the other hand, when you're as old as I am, everything is life threatening.

I've been a member of this board and boards that have preceded it since 1995 - the year that NU suddenly woke up as a Big 10 football team. So I'm going to invoke the longevity priviledge and offer my opinion on the subject of banning posters and ending threads.

Before I do though, I recognize that this is a private site, and the owner can make any rules regarding banning posters and closing threads, that they choose - and we as members either accept it, or go elsewhere - I get it. Having said that, here's a little food for thought:

I believe this board offers a feature to all of us that offers the opportunity to ban (ignore) that, or those, who we don't want to hear from. I also believe that you can reverse your decision to ignore if you have second thoughts. Why choose the irreversible, nuclear option (by a moderator), when a good sight picture with a rifle ( or even cap gun) by each of us, will do the job? Personally, I don't want big brother deciding what is, or is not appropriate for me to read. If I don't like the content, or the individual posting it, I'm fully armed, have taken a class in self defense (including concealed carry), and my judgement alone, is all that is needed to pull the trigger. Poof (or bang) in a spray of pink mist, he ,she, they, them, zhi, y'all are gone.

So what about the egregious, toothless, unwashed, hordes that's made up of opponents who infest this site from time to time? Well, there will always be the need for oversight, I guess.

To me, it wasn't the sharing of opinions that was the problem. Indeed, several posters have shared opinions of harsh criticism without being banned.

The problem was that this poster was claiming to use insider information as the basis to spread unsupported rumors, claiming knowledge about things like the details of Fitz's contract.

Wavejumper -

I completely agree with you 99 percent on this. I think I just disagree about this one because it claimed some sort of inside info without proof.

A post like this should be allowed - "Coach X sucks and should be worried about his job for the following reasons".

A post like this should not be allowed "I have information the Coach X may be stepping down. I cannot reveal my sources".

IMO there is a difference between posting opinion and "'rants" and posting supposed true and actual information.

I'm also 50-50 about "just use ignore". It sure sounds good...but remember Puffcat? He was one of the constantly negative nelly posters that make you almost wonder if this guy is being paid by someone to be negative about stuff ALL THE TIME. Remember how after one of our huge wins when the board was flooded with new people I think it was Puff who posted "anyone remember the Lundy gambling scandal, anything new going on?". WTF?

Wasn't there another poster also who would talk about his days with Gary Barnett on the golf course in Austin, something about wanting the Texas job, not wanting it but wanting it, denials and all sorts of other things - just non-stop? I am forgetting the handle used, we are talking 20 plus years ago, forgive me.

Then you get the constant annoying posts by some users and also the abusive posts attacking other posters "you suck as a poster, etc." the so called "Board Bullies".

I think it's a bit more complicated than just taking the libertarian approach. Sticking to the rant board is safer, it is a forum less likely to attract the doofuses.

Possible solution!

Personally - why not borrow from Georgia Tech and maybe add a thing or two. A kid from my local High School really wants to walk on there so I have been reading their boards latetly, they seem to have things down to a good discussion level using these rules. I think the "abusive posting" phraseology is really good to use.

From the below - (I must note they also had/have number 12 - no calls for firings - which went too far and was completely ignored in recent months before they fired their coach. So I did not like that at all, either don't have a rule or if you do, enforce it. I think it's perfectly fine to - reasonably and without personal rancor - discuss if someone might not be asked to step aside. But if you DO have such a rule, then freaking enforce it, No good comes of rules that are only "on paper".

That having been said - these would handle 99 percent of problems that you raise.

8. Disruptive behavior or excessive abusive behavior will NOT be tolerated.

9. Georgia Tech fans will conduct themselves at all times as though they are a representative/ambassador of Georgia Tech (or your respective school). If you are a fan of a rival, you will not bait, inflame, talk smack, or otherwise be disruptive.

10. Posting of unsubstantiated rumors which may, in any way, denigrate Georgia Tech, its athletic teams, its coaches, or its athletes is prohibited.

Good to see you wavejumper! Hope you are well!

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
I talked about how that is one that they themselves did not follow.

Last edited:
I generally think our society has become over-regulated, over-officiated, over-adjudicated, over-judged, and over the shark. Societies and communities become strongest when they are regularly tested and stressed, and then recover. We aren't made stronger with all this nannying going on in the world.

That said, Cannoli deserved to have those posts deleted (tira misu so much better!). Florida would have done the same thing, as he would occasionally take out the trash.

As far as banning, he can always come back in some new incarnation and try posting something useful. The guy was a fraudster.

Last edited:
To me it's quite simple. Cappy had to make a decision. He's new in a role that for which, apparently, there was no stampede of candidates. He had to make a decision with imperfect information. I'm OK with it

To me, it wasn't the sharing of opinions that was the problem. Indeed, several posters have shared opinions of harsh criticism without being banned.

The problem was that this poster was claiming to use insider information as the basis to spread unsupported rumors, claiming knowledge about things like the details of Fitz's contract.
See another post. Many of us have claimed inside info at various times. Gcg just posted he is using his illustrious powers to persuade. So what. Take it got what it is worth.

Wavejumper -

I completely agree with you 99 percent on this. I think I just disagree about this one because it claimed some sort of inside info without proof.

A post like this should be allowed - "Coach X sucks and should be worried about his job for the following reasons".

A post like this should not be allowed "I have information the Coach X may be stepping down. I cannot reveal my sources".

IMO there is a difference between posting opinion and "'rants" and posting supposed true and actual information.

I'm also 50-50 about "just use ignore". It sure sounds good...but remember Puffcat? He was one of the constantly negative nelly posters that make you almost wonder if this guy is being paid by someone to be negative about stuff ALL THE TIME. Remember how after one of our huge wins when the board was flooded with new people I think it was Puff who posted "anyone remember the Lundy gambling scandal, anything new going on?". WTF?

Wasn't there another poster also who would talk about his days with Gary Barnett on the golf course in Austin, something about wanting the Texas job, not wanting it but wanting it, denials and all sorts of other things - just non-stop? I am forgetting the handle used, we are talking 20 plus years ago, forgive me.

Then you get the constant annoying posts by some users and also the abusive posts attacking other posters "you suck as a poster, etc." the so called "Board Bullies".

I think it's a bit more complicated than just taking the libertarian approach. Sticking to the rant board is safer, it is a forum less likely to attract the doofuses.

Possible solution!

Personally - why not borrow from Georgia Tech and maybe add a thing or two. A kid from my local High School really wants to walk on there so I have been reading their boards latetly, they seem to have things down to a good discussion level using these rules. I think the "abusive posting" phraseology is really good to use.

From the below - (I must note they also had/have number 12 - no calls for firings - which went too far and was completely ignored in recent months before they fired their coach. So I did not like that at all, either don't have a rule or if you do, enforce it. I think it's perfectly fine to - reasonably and without personal rancor - discuss if someone might not be asked to step aside. But if you DO have such a rule, then freaking enforce it, No good comes of rules that are only "on paper".

That having been said - these would handle 99 percent of problems that you raise.

8. Disruptive behavior or excessive abusive behavior will NOT be tolerated.

9. Georgia Tech fans will conduct themselves at all times as though they are a representative/ambassador of Georgia Tech (or your respective school). If you are a fan of a rival, you will not bait, inflame, talk smack, or otherwise be disruptive.

10. Posting of unsubstantiated rumors which may, in any way, denigrate Georgia Tech, its athletic teams, its coaches, or its athletes is prohibited.

Good to see you wavejumper! Hope you are well!
Why have a message board but for rumors and speculation? Sounds like safe space #hardpass #placetodebate

I generally think our society has become over-regulated, over-officiated, over-adjudicated, over-judged, and over the shark. Societies and communities become strongest when they are regularly tested and stressed, and then recover. We aren't made stronger with all this nannying going on in the world.

That said, Canneloni deserved to have those posts deleted (tira misu so much better!). Florida would have done the same thing, as he would occasionally take out the trash.

As far as banning, he can always come back in some new incarnation and try posting something useful. The guy was a fraudster.

You’d be shocked at how much I agree with how soft our society is becoming. I put pronouns in my work bio and think JK Rowling sucks but I think canceling a Halloween parade because there will be “too many strangers” and starting every speech acknowledging tribal lands is ridiculous.

But I also have little patience for instigators who repeatedly and flagrantly violate message board rules. Decorum can still be respected and expected.

You’d be shocked at how much I agree with how soft our society is becoming. I put pronouns in my work bio and think JK Rowling sucks but I think canceling a Halloween parade because there will be “too many strangers” and starting every speech acknowledging tribal lands is ridiculous.

But I also have little patience for instigators who repeatedly and flagrantly violate message board rules. Decorum can still be respected and expected.
Lost me at pronouns in your bio.

This is the most tolerant board on the internet and I am thankful to finally see one visiting suckass sent to the old actors home. Too bad it took a few days.

OTOH, I disagree with the decision to land on rassler for using too many exclams or whatever - he's a fan and that's who we're looking for.

Reactions: drewjin
You and I have been known to toss out some indecorous posts. Yours, as I recall, were justified. Mine, of course, were not.

While this conversation is very interesting, the fact that the topic of a football board is not football but banning posters shows how dismal NU football has become. Dark Ages? Maybe worse, irrelevant.

Reactions: catfans5
While this conversation is very interesting, the fact that the topic of a football board is not football but banning posters shows how dismal NU football has become. Dark Ages? Maybe worse, irrelevant.
Let’s all transfer to Notre Dame!

As long as they have their current head coach that might be a bit of a steep mountain to climb.

Seems like a Bobby Williams at Michigan State situation, popular players coach takes over for coach who leaves for the SEC. Lasts two seasons.

But perhaps he just needs to settle in.

The Canoli posting removals does not have anything to do with ongoing socio-political-culture debates between the Left and Right with regards to so-called wokeness or cancel culture. There is long-standing Rivals forums message board community guidelines or rules, including the current ones posted here:

It clearly states,

"Do not post unsubstantiated rumors about players,
coaches, etc. If you have a link to a news story, that is one
thing. But if you have heard something 'from a friend of a friend,'
this is not the website to post innuendo and rumor. Those posts will be
removed."

So, I supposing in this instance, the moderators are just enforcing the rule that is actually system-wide on the Rivals board sites.

The Canoli posting removals does not have anything to do with ongoing socio-political-culture debates between the Left and Right with regards to so-called wokeness or cancel culture. There is long-standing Rivals forums message board community guidelines or rules, including the current ones posted here:

It clearly states,

removed."

So, I supposing in this instance, the moderators are just enforcing the rule that is actually system-wide on the Rivals board sites.
What if the rumor that is true, is actually a lie?

What a joke.
Corbi, You are the most angry person on this board. But as an NU fan you must have some redeeming qualities. To help in that regard I will contribute to you $75.00 for your first anger management session with the professional of your choice. I am in section 207, row 49, seat 6.
If you show up there with proof of treatment and a receipt from a psychiatrist, psychologist, etc I will pay you said sum in cash.

It clearly states,

removed."

Aren’t rumors and inside information frequently posted on The Rock?

Reactions: IGNORE2

It clearly states,

removed."

If a rumor is unsubstantiated, its a rumor.
Once it is sunstantiated, it is a fact.

So you're saying no one should post a rumor?

How boooorrring.

I am ok with banning if it is earned. Curious why Cannoli’s posts have not been removed. Go ‘Cats.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..."

Reactions: IGNORE2
Corbi, You are the most angry person on this board. But as an NU fan you must have some redeeming qualities. To help in that regard I will contribute to you $75.00 for your first anger management session with the professional of your choice. I am in section 207, row 49, seat 6.
If you show up there with proof of treatment and a receipt from a psychiatrist, psychologist, etc I will pay you said sum in cash.
He’s not angry. He’s just Italian. It’s enthusiasm..

It clearly states,

removed."

Evenhanded enforcement, ok but boring. Case in point, selective enforcement = crap. GCG and corbi plus the dude from the bball board would all be long gone if equally enforced.

But when the right folks like the rumor - it stays and the rule (dumb as it is) is forgotten.

Reactions: peatymeanis
This is the last time I'm addressing this, but it is different when GCG and CSC, who have both at one point been employed by the program and have actual sources, discuss rumors, and another thing when a guy suddenly makes an account and immediately claims to have inside info with every power player in and around the program, and then also starts shit by talking about who should replace Fitz. One is a troll, the others are not.

He’s not angry. He’s just Italian. It’s enthusiasm..
No, in this case it has nothing to do with being Italian and more to do with being an actual fan of the program. Disgusted is more like it. As disgusted as I am with the play on the field, I am even more disgusted with the enthusiasm and the glee that more than a few posters on this board exhibit when the program is struggling. Many of these so called fans hardly speak up in good times but absolutely pour it on and revel when things are not going well. Unfortunately they have had plenty of opportunity lately. By nature I am/choose to remain an optimist and the negativity by some of the miserable SOBs on this board is a real downer. It’s unfortunate because I really enjoy the interaction with many thoughtful and passionate NU fans on this board but the bad apples make this board intolerable in times like these.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT