ADVERTISEMENT

On The Field Stuff

Jonny2TheP

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Des Moines, IA
The whole scandal and off-the-field issues have been discussed at length and rightfully will continue to be discussed. So I thought it may be interesting to discuss the on-the-field effect a little bit since there hasn't been much of that so far.

If we get past the fact that Fitz was a perfect guy for the program, was incredibly instrumental in getting the lakeside facility built (and the new stadium to the stage it's at now), etc., the reality is that there were a lot of things going on on the field that left a lot to be desired. His very conservative approach to game plans provided us with some success when we had good defenses, but in the years we didn't, our teams were generally pretty awful and hard to watch. We've talked the last two years about how not only weren't we winning, but we were so painful to watch too. Zero offense and a defense that couldn't stop anyone, whether that be on long plays, or teams like Minnesota just running it down our throat at will.

So, when we strictly look at the football team and the game that they play and what will happen on the field, I'll admit I'm actually sorta excited to see how a different coach may handle things. With the rest of the coaching staff still in place and being so close to the season, we may not see much of a change this year (understandably), but as we go forward into 2024 and beyond, especially if they bring in a new head coach from the outside, it will be pretty exciting to see how someone else strategizes and what their approach will be.

Wondering how others feel about this and what are some other things that you may be thinking/looking forward to with a different coach in charge? Or maybe you just aren't there yet to have this conversation, and if so, that's totally understandable too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.