ADVERTISEMENT

One small complaint about the court storm…

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Loved seeing it. Even chuckled at the premature celebration. But…and maybe this is me being a curmudgeon…the band should not be storming the floor, especially to the exclusion of the fight song. When Northwestern pulls off an epic win at Welsh-Ryan, the first thing everyone should hear is Go U Northwestern. That’s not possible with the band in the scrum. I think there’s already too little pep band play at the games these days. Gotta play the fight song when we freaking knock off #1!

Loved seeing it. Even chuckled at the premature celebration. But…and maybe this is me being a curmudgeon…the band should not be storming the floor, especially to the exclusion of the fight song. When Northwestern pulls off an epic win at Welsh-Ryan, the first thing everyone should hear is Go U Northwestern. That’s not possible with the band in the scrum. I think there’s already too little pep band play at the games these days. Gotta play the fight song when we freaking knock off #1!
Seems like good point. If the band was blaring, the excitement on the floor would have been even more intense. Gotta do everything you can to make coming out for games so desirable that there is little room for opposing fans.

1. Is the band composed of students
2. Do students get to rush the court

We should be so lucky as to have this problem again.

Could be the best game NU Men's Hoops ever played. Pretty emotional moment and we should forgive the band for storming the floor rather than perform.
If nothing else, the DJ should have a recording as backup. I imagine he does.

Hopefully, court storming protocol is incorporated into future rehearsals.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
I thought you were going to say they might break their instruments! As a parent of a musician, that's what I was thinking. :)

Reactions: WildcatWillie
I, now, know why European soccer fans get killed when storming the gates or pitch. Rewatch the NU fans and count the number that fell down during the rush to midcourt.

I don’t think we ever thought of storming the field/court when I was in the band. Just assumed our job was to stay and play.

They eventually played a recording of the fight song, probably about 10 minutes after the broadcast cut out. Band members on the floor immediately ran back to their section and picked up the song mid-stream to play it.

Let’s maybe not look for nits to pick after one of the great nights in NU athletics history?

They eventually played a recording of the fight song, probably about 10 minutes after the broadcast cut out. Band members on the floor immediately ran back to their section and picked up the song mid-stream to play it.

Let’s maybe not look for nits to pick after one of the great nights in NU athletics history?
It’s not an intense criticism — I just want to hear our fight song when we win! I don’t think that’s a crazy thing to say.

Just watch the scrum from last year with Go U blaring. Still gives me chills.

I, now, know why European soccer fans get killed when storming the gates or pitch. Rewatch the NU fans and count the number that fell down during the rush to midcourt.
I’ve got a great video of my son getting laid out 😂. I told him to stay off to the side but he went right to the middle even though he’s in 4th grade.

I once got stuck in one of those soccer stampedes, celebrating clinching a league title, and I can tell you it's not fun.

I was not injured. But the few seconds I was stuck were complete panic. You are completely helpless, you realize there's nothing anyone can do against the weight of a crowd. Air got cut off for 3 to 5 seconds. And all this was a fairly small and friendly stampede.

I was probably 18 at at the time. They have pretty much eliminated them from euro soccer.

I think the floor storming is great! If I were one of the student band members, I just might keep an eye out for my instrument though. The instruments are really expensive. Could be damaged or even stolen during the celebration??

As an ex-NUMB/NUBB member I can say I was surprised to see it. I thought it was common band knowledge to not participate in a court/field rush, but the times have apparently changed! Hard to get mad at them having fun, though, but I never would have done it since I owned my instrument and would not have want it broken.

I first experienced European crowd control at Parc des Princes in the 1991 Rugby World Cup 1/4 final match between England and France. Crowds of spectators were milling around the stadium because they were making 50K spectators enter single file through one entrance. French supporters launched a tear gas attack on the English fans that caused a panicked rush to get into the stadium- a single lane did not work too well.

I was later surprised to see the same technique used at RFK in DC for a Soccer World Cup game in 1994

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
I first experienced European crowd control at Parc des Princes in the 1991 Rugby World Cup 1/4 final match between England and France. Crowds of spectators were milling around the stadium because they were making 50K spectators enter single file through one entrance. French supporters launched a tear gas attack on the English fans that caused a panicked rush to get into the stadium- a single lane did not work too well.

I was later surprised to see the same technique used at RFK in DC for a Soccer World Cup game in 1994
I once was outside a stadium, and a SWAT team comes running, chasing a group of organized supporters. I step to the side and lean against the wall to let them all go through. One of the SWAT dudes suddenly stops, turns to me, stares me in the eye with what I can describe as animal eyes, and hits me with his stick in my forearm. Those things hurt like a mutha.

I had many other weird events at soccer games in my youth.

It's all very passionate, blah, blah, blah, but I would not take my daughters to a game between big rivals.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
I once was outside a stadium, and a SWAT team comes running, chasing a group of organized supporters. I step to the side and lean against the wall to let them all go through. One of the SWAT dudes suddenly stops, turns to me, stares me in the eye with what I can describe as animal eyes, and hits me with his stick in my forearm. Those things hurt like a mutha.

It's all very passionate, blah, blah, blah, but I would not take my daughters to a game between big rivals.
Sounds like a typical Philly Eagles game.

In Buenos Aires, they routinely station swat teams in front of futbol fans sections. They also separate fans into respective sections since there are oftentimes two BA teams on the pitch. Reassuring and disconcerting all at the same time!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT