ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from inside W-R

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
1. Really tough loss. RU was ahead 5-10 for almost the whole game. We’d claw within a possession & they’d go back on a spurt. Then the big run came at exactly the right time for NU. Up 4 at home with 1:05 to play, with all the momentum. Gotta win that kind of game. RU finished on a 7-0 run and that was that. How you leave that guy open for the dagger is beyond me.

2. Rutgers is good. This was a very physical game. Well-matched. Less horrible 3 point shooting in the first half OR less bad FT shooting from a few guys OR not letting those 10 & 4 go crazy from 3 … and that’s a win. But it wasn’t. Feel like it’s pretty important for this crew to steal one of the next two on the road so they don’t start feeling too much pressure.

3. The game experience is just night and day compared to the old place. My only complaint is I’d like a little more pep band & a little more fight song at key moments. Overall, terrific. Just as cozy and loud as the best of the old gym. Just way nicer. Even with 5000 or so in the building, it got very loud at the end. This is overwhelmingly due to the STUDENTS who showed up in force and were fantastic. Good on NUAD for letting them sit in unsold seats once the official sections filled up (way before tip). They were a real presence. Kinda absurd how many unsold seats there were to fill, given the season so far & the time of the game imo. Sometimes I just imagine how brutal of a venue this could be for visiting teams if we consistently filled it with our people.

4. This was probably the only home game I can get to this year. Glad I got to experience an exciting close one. Just hate how it finished. Team showed fight and character. The loss still hurts. By no means a bad loss, but gotta make up for it somewhere in the W column.

Go ‘Cats

I’m hoarse from last night, and have to give a presentation later today. Worth it.

Had a great time with Uber and friends. I really wish we had a guy like Spencer: reliable outside shooter that teams had to guard. Would make a world of difference.

Ty Berry is starting to create shots off the dribble. Love that.

Roper remains a work in progress.

Big Matt had a fine game on defense. But those hands of his…

Two better and more nicely-phrased sentences than I could have put together at the moment. I thought these were two of the larger problems last night.

And for a team that so struggles on offense, Roper had way too many minutes for my taste. Yes, he banked the three. But way too often he dribbled into double teams and upset the flow of any offense. I really dislike the ball in his hands.

To be fair, I could nit pick like this about every player on the floor and a few coaching moves to get those four point NU needs. It was truly a team loss.

I’m hoarse from last night, and have to give a presentation later today. Worth it.

Had a great time with Uber and friends. I really wish we had a guy like Spencer: reliable outside shooter that teams had to guard. Would make a world of difference.

Ty Berry is starting to create shots off the dribble. Love that.

A couple of more free throw makes by Big Matt would've been nice too. His form is decent, but the ball comes out of his hands as if it's stuck there. But overall he's a big plus to this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT