ADVERTISEMENT

W-R: HOME court

Wilson Club is highly problematic. If it’s not empty for non conference games, it’s opponents in the seats. Either way, it’s a terrible look, especially since it’s right behind the TV announcers table. Why do fat cats buy tickets if they don’t want to come to the games? Also, after IL and Purdue, noticed ex-player Kip Kirkpatrick congratulating Collins. Might he steer his son, an outstanding soph at New Trier, to NU???
The more I think about it, it is likely the seats are being sold by NU as the donations for Wilson Club are down to $6000 (probably per seat). Still have to buy the tickets. I believe that the donation required was $25K for two seats. I have also seen NU trying to peddle upgrades for games to use Wilson Club for $75 for a game which likely included the seat. Seems more and more likely that NU is the culprit peddling those seats to the opposing fans

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Check on StubHub. There are no Wilson Club seats for sale. There were Illinois fans in all parts of Welsh-Ryan, not just the Wilson Club.
Which goes along with the thought that those tickets are probably not being sold by ticketholders. More and more it would seem NU is the culprit

The more I think about it, it is likely the seats are being sold by NU as the donations for Wilson Club are down to $6000 (probably per seat). Still have to buy the tickets. I believe that the donation required was $25K for two seats. I have also seen NU trying to peddle upgrades for games to use Wilson Club for $75 for a game which likely included the seat. Seems more and more likely that NU is the culprit peddling those seats to the opposing fans
NU ticket holders are the culprit not NU.

Last edited:
Check on StubHub. There are no Wilson Club seats for sale. There were Illinois fans in all parts of Welsh-Ryan, not just the Wilson Club.
People that buy Wilson Club seats don’t want or need to mess around with the secondary market. This are “give always” to clients, friends, or someone else looking for a favor.

You are missing the point of the frustration. The donors can do what they want with their tickets, they paid the high cost for them. However, if these are supposed to be some of the biggest supporters of the program, they should understand it’s a terrible look to be half way occupied by visiting team fans. It just is. I don’t think a lot of them care. This should be a harder ticket for opposing fans to get than anywhere else in the stadium. How do I get a ticket in the Wilson Club? Can’t buy them! Have to know someone.

Do you have Wilson Club Seats? If so, how do you feel about screaming opposing fans right behind you when you paid this premium.

I seriously doubt NU is selling "upgrades" to the Wilson Club. I say this because I have seats in 108 and if they were doing this I would think I would be one of the first people they would ask so they could give me a WC sales pitch for next year.

I seriously doubt NU is selling "upgrades" to the Wilson Club. I say this because I have seats in 108 and if they were doing this I would think I would be one of the first people they would ask so they could give me a WC sales pitch for next year.
It's not the Wilson Club, but they offer this for every home game:

Fast Break Experience - Ohio State​

A hospitality experience during Northwestern Men's Basketball games will be available this season in the Group Hospitality club on the upper level concourse, located near section 208.

This exciting gameday experience will feature a private club space and includes gameday food and beverage selections before and throughout the game. See below for more information.

Amenities:

* An open bar featuring beer, wine and other non-alcoholic beverages before and during the game
* Exclusive access to Group Hospitality club near section 208
* A unique social setting with live feeds of the game in the exclusive club area

This is not a game ticket. A separate game ticket is required for access to Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Item CostQuantity
$125.00

A hospitality experience during Northwestern Men's Basketball games will be available this season in the Group Hospitality club on the upper level concourse, located near section 208.

This exciting gameday experience will feature a private club space and includes gameday food and beverage selections before and throughout the game. See below for more information.

Amenities:

* An open bar featuring beer, wine and other non-alcoholic beverages before and during the game
* A unique social setting with live feeds of the game in the exclusive club area

This is not a game ticket. A separate game ticket is required for access to Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Item CostQuantity
$125.00
From the outside, this looks like a banquet room with a few portable bars.

That's what it is. At the top of the stair just around the corner from the elevators. I walk past the room on my way to my seats and sometimes it's packed, sometimes it's empty. It seems like a terrible place to experience the game. I'd rather buy one of the seats along the railing by the concession stand so I could watch the game in person while eating that terrible food.

As for the Wilson Club, I have no idea about any of that high end stuff. I always assumed that most of those seats are bought by alums and local/regional corps (maybe both). A friend of mine has had a long sales career built mainly around taking corporate clients to Chicago/Milwaukee/Indianapolis sports, music, and theater events. His corp has season tickets to pretty much every venue in the midwest for such purposes. It doesn't seem a stretch that businesses like theirs owns 2-4 tickets in the WC.

Sorry but if you can afford to drop 6k per seat you should easily be able to eat a ticket versus giving it to an opposing fan.

Of course I have Illinois, MSU, Wisconsin friends and they’re great.

But under no circumstance would I 1) give them a ticket to a game at our place and 2) go to a game with them when they play us.

Eat the damn tickets if you can’t go and have your accountant write them off as a “business expense.” Cmon.

Sorry but if you can afford to drop 6k per seat you should easily be able to eat a ticket versus giving it to an opposing fan.

But under no circumstance would I 1) give them a ticket to a game at our place and 2) go to a game with them when they play us.

Eat the damn tickets if you can’t go and have your accountant write them off as a “business expense.” Cmon.

NU should prohibit opposing colors in the Wilson Club. You can root for whomever you want but either wear Purple or a neutral color, just not the colors of the opposing teams.

Amenities:

Item CostQuantity
$125.00
This is the upstairs room in upper deck - not Wilson Club.

Reactions: drewjin
Hopefully the same dynamic occurs in the new football stadium. Bigger isn’t always better!
I was wondering about this. What strategies can NU take to get this student enthusiasm to translate over to football? It even makes me think playing in smaller venues during the build could be turned to an advantage if the student body could be convinced that they would have an equally good time and make an equally good impact.

They absolutely were. I saw it advertised on the video board at a couple of the games, It was $75 per seat for the upgrade and that got you the amenities of the Wilson Club. Have to imagine it included the seats as that is the way they separate the Wilson Club. That means either seats donated back or seats not sold. Cost of STs for Wilson Club is $1700 each vs $350-400 elsewhere except courtside. Cost of a single ticket for OSU game from NU $75-85

There were a lot of them at the game. Surprisingly Undie fans weren’t as obnoxious as the Indiana fans (worst), Purdue ( wasn’t at last game) or even Iowa fans.
I had court side seats for last year's upset of Purdue, and of course there was a Purdue fan sitting next to me court side. I didn't like it, and was on him all game. He almost punched me before I ran on the court. I was a dickhead to him for sure, but he was also an obnoxious prick.

Wilson Club is highly problematic. If it’s not empty for non conference games, it’s opponents in the seats. Either way, it’s a terrible look, especially since it’s right behind the TV announcers table. Why do fat cats buy tickets if they don’t want to come to the games? Also, after IL and Purdue, noticed ex-player Kip Kirkpatrick congratulating Collins. Might he steer his son, an outstanding soph at New Trier,

People that buy Wilson Club seats don’t want or need to mess around with the secondary market. This are “give always” to clients, friends, or someone else looking for a favor.

You are missing the point of the frustration. The donors can do what they want with their tickets, they paid the high cost for them. However, if these are supposed to be some of the biggest supporters of the program, they should understand it’s a terrible look to be half way occupied by visiting team fans. It just is. I don’t think a lot of them care. This should be a harder ticket for opposing fans to get than anywhere else in the stadium. How do I get a ticket in the Wilson Club? Can’t buy them! Have to know someone.

Do you have Wilson Club Seats? If so, how do you feel about screaming opposing fans right behind you when you paid this premium.
Were you at the game? I was and saw Illinois fans throughout the arena. This is not a Wilson Club issue, it's a Northwestern ticketing issue. Opposing fans often buy football season tickets so they can see their team play. They sell, give away or simply don't use the remaining tickets. The tickets are cheap compared to other schools. We need more alums to go to games.

Were you at the game? I was and saw Illinois fans throughout the arena. This is not a Wilson Club issue, it's a Northwestern ticketing issue. Opposing fans often buy football season tickets so they can see their team play. They sell, give away or simply don't use the remaining tickets. The tickets are cheap compared to other schools. We need more alums to go to games.
I wish WC ticket holders who didn’t go would donate them so local kids could go. They’d be hooked and fans for life.

Yes I was at the game. Yes there were Illini fans in every section. Do you have WC tickets? I just have a hard time with your premise that opposing fans are buying season tickets to the Wilson Club! Is the annual cost still $6k? Makes no sense at all. An opposing fan can get good season tickets in football for about $600 a year. They aren’t forking over 10 times that amount because they want great seats for the Illini basketball game. Apples and Oranges! There is No aftermarket to even recoup half of the outlay by selling EVERY other basketball game. Furthermore they can sit anywhere else in the entire stadium for no more than $300. Anywhere.

Face the facts, the problem is NU WC ticket holders dispatching the tickets to connections affiliated with the opposing team. Business associates!

Yes I was at the game. Yes there were Illini fans in every section. Do you have WC tickets? I just have a hard time with your premise that opposing fans are buying season tickets to the Wilson Club! Is the annual cost still $6k? Makes no sense at all. An opposing fan can get good season tickets in football for about $600 a year. They aren’t forking over 10 times that amount because they want great seats for the Illini basketball game. Apples and Oranges! There is No aftermarket to even recoup half of the outlay by selling EVERY other basketball game. Furthermore they can sit anywhere else in the entire stadium for no more than $300. Anywhere.

Face the facts, the problem is NU WC ticket holders dispatching the tickets to connections affiliated with the opposing team. Business

Very few Ohio State fans in attendance. Go Cats!!

I was wondering about this. What strategies can NU take to get this student enthusiasm to translate over to football? It even makes me think playing in smaller venues during the build could be turned to an advantage if the student body could be convinced that they would have an equally good time and make an equally good impact.
Scoring will help. Winning is great but 21-14 games aren’t super exciting for the average fan.

Couple things. One is just the success of the team. Football has been horrible for years until a good year kinda snuck up on students at the end of this year. Two, and this is small and if somebody wants to fight with me over it fine, but NU has a pretty strong East coast student body that fits basketball well.

But most importantly, and I’ve been hammering this point for awhile: actual attendance for both sports when it’s decent isn’t dissimilar. The problem for football is a turnout of 1/6 of the student body to a game is a BIG turnout anywhere, but 1,300 people in a football stadium doesn’t make a big environment. But 1,300 students fighting for space in our small, claustrophobic basketball arena makes for an absolutely rockin’ environment that’s a hellhole for opposing teams. I’m a football guy, but so many things about our school point is toward us toward being a better natural fit as a hoops school.

Couple things. One is just the success of the team. Football has been horrible for years until a good year kinda snuck up on students at the end of this year. Two, and this is small and if somebody wants to fight with me over it fine, but NU has a pretty strong East coast student body that fits basketball well.

But most importantly, and I’ve been hammering this point for awhile: actual attendance for both sports when it’s decent isn’t dissimilar. The problem for football is a turnout of 1/6 of the student body to a game is a BIG turnout anywhere, but 1,300 people in a football stadium doesn’t make a big environment. But 1,300 students fighting for space in our small, claustrophobic basketball arena makes for an absolutely rockin’ environment that’s a hellhole for opposing teams. I’m a football guy, but so many things about our school point is toward us toward being a better natural fit as a hoops school.
Not just East Coast — global. And basketball is a global sport now more than ever. Football isn’t.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst

Face the facts, the problem is NU WC ticket holders dispatching the tickets to connections affiliated with the opposing team. Business associates!
My tickets are like $400 (Plus a donation to be able to buy in the section of $750). Wilson club tickets are $1700 plus the donation of $6000. Unlikely people are selling the WC tickets. Giving them to friends etc likely or maybe they even have kids that went to IL

Sorry but I take opposing fans all the time. At the Illinois game it was an IL fan For Mich it will be Mich fan For IA it will be IA fan. Wisconsin game same. Friends and family and people I worked with and did business with. I took the Illini fan to Purdue and Ind last year so he is good luck charm. He is a BB fan that just loved the game even though Illinois lost. (sand by the way, those donations for being able to buy the tickets not able to be written off)

Sorry but I take opposing fans all the time. At the Illinois game it was an IL fan For Mich it will be Mich fan For IA it will be IA fan. Wisconsin game same. Friends and family and people I worked with and did business with. I took the Illini fan to Purdue and Ind last year so he is good luck charm. He is a BB fan that just loved the game even though Illinois lost. (sand by the way, those donations for being able to buy the tickets not able to be written off)
200w.gif

Always thought that as it took a lot fewer recruiting successes to be good in BB but reality has been it is even harder to recruit for it And we never really had the student body being part of the program till now

Eh. That’s kind of weak imo. Take them to a game NOT involving their actual team. That’s what I do so they’ll cheer for the ‘Cats too. Also, you can figure out a way to write off anything if you have a good accountant 😉

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Eh. That’s kind of weak imo. Take them to a game NOT involving their actual team. That’s what I do so they’ll cheer for the ‘Cats too. Also, you can figure out a way to write off anything if you have a good accountant 😉
And I care what you think about this because... Oh that's right, I don't

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Baz=Heisman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT