ADVERTISEMENT

W-R: HOME court

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Place looked electric on TV. Thought it might explode when Brooks buried that 3 on the four point play. Students just phenomenal. After the game on BTN, the analysts were talking about how W-R was, basically forever, a place where big opposing fan base could show up and always make it a neutral site atmosphere. No more. They said it’s a true home floor and it’s very hard to play in our building. This was always possible but it’s thrilling to see it come to fruition, and not just in a one-off season. Man, I hope we keep building this. It’s special.

The students packing the house and fired up, fires up the team, which fires up the students. When Matt fouled out tonight, walked over to the bench, raised his arms up up up and roared at the students and they roared back - just amazing.

It is beyond awesome to see these games with all the history I'm carrying around at that place.

And I think I'm a youngin' on this board, I think.

Credit the students, it was almost all them. I would say crowd was 60/40 NU, except Wilson Club which was about 70/30 Illini. NU students have really turned the place into a tough building and Boo and team give them something to get excited about. Best I have ever seen the students although I wasn’t at Purdue. I loved all those Cocky Orange clad heading to the turnstiles with a minute left in OT. Vanished quicker than their trolls on this board.

Credit the students, it was almost all them. I would say crowd was 60/40 NU, except Wilson Club which was about 70/30 Illini. NU students have really turned the place into a tough building and Boo and team give them something to get excited about. Best I have ever seen the students although I wasn’t at Purdue. I loved all those Cocky Orange clad heading to the turnstiles with a minute left in OT. Vanished quicker than their trolls on this board.
The Wilson Club clowns who sold tickets to Illinois fans need to be booted. I saw the same. Absurd.

70/30 bad guys at Wilson Club? That’s a disgrace. Thankfully, I’m sure Gragg is all over it.

Place looked electric on TV. Thought it might explode when Brooks buried that 3 on the four point play. Students just phenomenal. After the game on BTN, the analysts were talking about how W-R was, basically forever, a place where big opposing fan base could show up and always make it a neutral site atmosphere. No more. They said it’s a true home floor and it’s very hard to play in our building. This was always possible but it’s thrilling to see it come to fruition, and not just in a one-off season. Man, I hope we keep building this. It’s special.

Hopefully the same dynamic occurs in the new football stadium. Bigger isn’t always better!

Last night, the arena was louder than Purdue this year. The Illannoy chants were drowned out by the students.

My perspective on the Wilson Club. Looked REALLY bad before the game and at the tip-off. Filled in more purple though. One presumes the Illinois people were quicker to get to their seats, while the purple clad felt more comfortable finishing their vittles and libations.

They should rename the Wilson Club to “Benedict Arnold Corner.”
I don’t know the price structure for the Wilson Club. Is it possible brokers own some of those tickets, or is it cost-prohibitive for them?

Man, I’m still on a high.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Stud
Students were absolutely exceptional. They got their chants in but did not cross any lines. They controlled the crowd. Keep coming back and keep getting W's. Great work kids.

Any way we can expand the student section into the Wilson Club for anyone that sells a ticket to an opposing fan... (I know, just baiting mostly)

There were moments the oppo fans were louder, but the few times I noticed them trying a chant, it blended really well into the ‘no means no!’ Student response.
Watched on TV. The student chants of “no means no!”, “guilty”, and, my personal favorite, “”lock him up!”, were all parts savage, loud, and did not cross the stupid arbitrary line the administration drew prior to the game. Well done!

Actually my favorite chant is “DUI!” with the balloons turned into steering wheels. Sat next to a Purdue fan who was complaining about it (!), which was an endless source of delight for me (I joined in loudly).

Keep up that energy. We are the black hole of the Big Ten.

There were moments the oppo fans were louder, but the few times I noticed them trying a chant, it blended really well into the ‘no means no!’ Student response.
Yes, great point. ILL blends really well into “no means no.” Extra points for the technical cadence chant matching, students! They are truly playing chess here. What an advantage.

My buddy at the game said it was like 70/30 purple. Based on tv and social media, that sounds about right. When I was at NU, the Illinois game was usually about 50/50.
From my perch in 218 I’d say about 60/40 NU fans but we definitely had more fans than NU/ILL games I’ve attended in the past. What I loved was a lot of NU fans, including some older folks, were standing up, yelling and cheering. It was great to see. I’m a lunatic but I love when others show their lunatic too haha. Also, in all seriousness, the Illinois fans who sat by us were cool and there was no trouble… surprisingly.

I think illini star that just got reinstated to their team will be an abject distraction for the illini team at every away game for them the rest of the season. More negative than anything he'll be able to contribute

Reactions: zbag51
From my perch in 218 I’d say about 60/40 NU fans but we definitely had more fans than NU/ILL games I’ve attended in the past. What I loved was a lot of NU fans, including some older folks, were standing up, yelling and cheering. It was great to see. I’m a lunatic but I love when others show their lunatic too haha. Also, in all seriousness, the Illinois fans who sat by us were cool and there was no trouble… surprisingly.
The word I got from my daughter in the student section was that the Illinois fans adjacent were "heinous"

I interpret that to mean "Fat, Drunk and Stupidly Obnoxious."

I think illini star that just got reinstated to their team will be an abject distraction for the illini team at every away game for them the rest of the season. More negative than anything he'll be able to contribute
That could be an argument for a normal coach to bench him. A big distraction. Not Red ass. Played him 40 minutes. At least he did not start on his first game back!

Reactions: mickbula
That could be an argument for a normal coach to bench him. A big distraction. Not Red ass. Played him 40 minutes. At least he did not start on his first game back!
He also referred to Buie as "one of the better guards in the league." in the press conference.

I've noticed this about coaches, even our own, they tend to speak very highly of opposing players after beating them. Losing to them? not so much.

The Wilson Club clowns who sold tickets to Illinois fans need to be booted. I saw the same. Absurd.
Hard to say that they sold the tickets,. High cost of Wilson Club donation likely means they generally do not but a lot might have IL fan friends that they gave them to because they often do not attend

The word I got from my daughter in the student section was that the Illinois fans adjacent were "heinous"

I interpret that to mean "Fat, Drunk and Stupidly Obnoxious."
There were a lot of them at the game. Surprisingly Undie fans weren’t as obnoxious as the Indiana fans (worst), Purdue ( wasn’t at last game) or even Iowa fans.

Last edited:
Hard to say that they sold the tickets,. High cost of Wilson Club donation likely means they generally do not but a lot might have IL fan friends that they gave them to because they often do not attend
Check on StubHub. There are no Wilson Club seats for sale. There were Illinois fans in all parts of Welsh-Ryan, not just the Wilson Club.

Wilson Club is highly problematic. If it’s not empty for non conference games, it’s opponents in the seats. Either way, it’s a terrible look, especially since it’s right behind the TV announcers table. Why do fat cats buy tickets if they don’t want to come to the games? Also, after IL and Purdue, noticed ex-player Kip Kirkpatrick congratulating Collins. Might he steer his son, an outstanding soph at New Trier, to NU???

Check on StubHub. There are no Wilson Club seats for sale. There were Illinois fans in all parts of Welsh-Ryan, not just the Wilson Club.
People that are trying to make a buck selling their tickets would not be buying Wilson Club as the cost is so high with the donations required. My guess is that either not all the Wilson seats are sold and it is NU that is selling them or they are given away to their friends of the people holding them or if a company is buying them, they are given to employees that would use them.

Reactions: ricko654321
Wilson Club is highly problematic. If it’s not empty for non conference games, it’s opponents in the seats. Either way, it’s a terrible look, especially since it’s right behind the TV announcers table. Why do fat cats buy tickets if they don’t want to come to the games? Also, after IL and Purdue, noticed ex-player Kip Kirkpatrick congratulating Collins. Might he steer his son, an outstanding soph at New Trier, to NU???
Because they are giving the donation to NU sports, In many cases those donors might not live in the area but have friends from other schools that still do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT