ADVERTISEMENT

Don't sleep on Michigan

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
Normally these scouting reports are relatively easy to write, but Michigan is a bit of a disaster at the moment, so let's see what I can come up with:

Normally Dug McDaniel would be the starting PG, but he's been suspended for road games in conference this season, so he won't be playing. That's great, because he's their best player, and their defense goes in the tank when he's out. In his place, we have Jaelin Llewellyn, 6th-year player formerly of Princeton. Llewellyn has had a history of injuries and was an afterthought this season up until McDaniel got suspended, and has been averaging 32mpg in away games. He is significantly inferior to McDaniel, as his assist-to-turnover ratio is nearly 1:2, however he is a very good 3-point shooter, at 42.5% in conference play. Despite being 6'2", he is only 45% on layups and an abysmal 14% on midrange shots.

In road games, his theoretical backup is the excellently-named George Washington, a freshman who has had very limited minutes except in blowout losses. Not much else to say about him.

Nimari Burnett is the other starting guard, a transfer from Alabama. He's probably their best all-around player - decent passer, doesn't turn the ball over, good defender, average three-point shooter. Generally though he's their last option on offense, but has had games where he's scored in bunches. On defense, he averages 0.8 steals and 0.3 blocks per game.

Terrance Williams is the normal starter at SF, though he missed their last game against MSU due to illness. He has been their best player in conference play (which isn't saying that much), where he's been averaging 12.3 points/game, and has been a solid offensive rebounder and above-average 3-point shooter. Last year at W-R, he scored 7 points and grabbed 10 boards in Michigan's blowout win.

Olivier Nkamhoua was the normal starter at the Stretch 4, however he's out for the season due to surgery and won't be playing. A nice break for us, as he was their 2nd-best rebounder and shot-blocker while also being a decent passer and their best midrange shooter. This likely means we'll be seeing a lot of the cheese man, Will Tschetter. Tschetter has spent this season backing up both Williams and Nkamhoua, and has provided them with valuable depth in his 16mpg, shooting 48% from 3 on roughly 2 shots per game. He's also a good offensive rebounder, however his biggest issue this year has been fouling at an unsustainable rate, so we'll see how long he can stay on the court. Against Purdue he fouled out in 20 minutes and against MD he did it in 23. Last year against us he picked up 4 fouls and 2 turnovers in 10 minutes in the first game and didn't play in the second. Also last year, he started 7 conference games, but only averaged 1.8 points and 2.7 boards/game in 16mpg.

Lastly we have large Center Tarris Reed, a similarly-sized behemoth to our own Big Matt. Reed is one of the best rebounders in the conference, likely second behind Edey, and a top shot-blocker as well. Reed gets to the FT line a lot, but only shoots 67%. Offensively, he's decent at the rim though not elite, and if we can keep him out of the lane on offense, he shoots an abysmal 28% from midrange. He also struggles with turning the ball over, so if we choose to double him in the post, hopefully that trend continues. This year he's averaged 10.4 points, 7.8 boards and 1.7 blocks/game, though in the last 5 games that has gone up to 12.2 points, 9.6 boards and 2.8 blocks in 31mpg. Last year against us, he scored 6 points with 8 boards and 2 blocks in the first game as Hunter Dickinson's backup, but also had 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 18 minutes. In the second game, he was held to just 2 points, 1 rebound and 1 block with 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 11 minutes.

Reed's backup is 5th year graduate double-transfer Tray Jackson, who had two successful seasons at Seton Hall before coming back home for his final year. He has struggled this year though, posting career-lows in overall shooting percentage, 3pt%, FT%, offensive rebound% and turnover%. He theoretically has range from deep, shooting 41.7% from 3 at Seton Hall, but this year is only at 30%. He's a decent shot blocker and defensive rebounder.

As for who else might play...uh, it's hard to say. Jace Howard has missed the last 5 games with an illness, but played in 5 games before that, averaging 10mpg though being largely ineffective. Youssef Khayat is a 6'9" sophomore who's played in a handful of games and could likely see some minutes. The rest are a bunch of walk-ons.

That being said, this is NU basketball, and what seems like it should be a blowout may not turn out that way.

Don't sleep on the Wolverines.

We can’t sleep on anyone but this is truly a bad, bad Michigan… which makes me even more nervous. A loss here would be devastating. With that being said, I have faith the boys will be locked in and ready to go. Let’s get it, ‘Cats!
A loss to this Michigan team would be worse than the Chicago State loss due to the timing. We also can’t afford two bad losses.

I will tune in to watch the game after my work dinner, and I will likely fall asleep on the couch - only to awake to victory. This personal process has helped in the past.

Ann Arbor, Michigan's answer to Paris.

A loss to this Michigan team would be worse than the Chicago State loss due to the timing. We also can’t afford two bad losses.

I will tune in to watch the game after my work dinner, and I will likely fall asleep on the couch - only to awake to victory. This personal process has helped in the past.
How could such a diehard and passionate fan like you fall asleep during a game? Doesn't make sense for someone who is so invested.

• Haha
Reactions: Baz=Heisman
How could such a diehard and passionate fan like you fall asleep during a game? Doesn't make sense for someone who is so invested.
I’m firmly entrenched in middle age, I have young children, and my comfy schmumfy couch has tricked me into more naps than I can remember.

Also, I never claimed to be a diehard.

This game has trap game written all over it. Clinch .500 record in bigten with best player setting school scoring record before long break. I am terrified for tonight.

Of course, I can't watch games on TV because I get so worked up so I am probably not the best source of calm regarding the state of NU hoops. And you say - well if you can't watch games on TV how do watch the team - I go to all the home games and watch replays of the road games that NU wins. Road losses are discarded into the dustbin of digital history.

This game has trap game written all over it. Clinch .500 record in bigten with best player setting school scoring record before long break. I am terrified for tonight.

Of course, I can't watch games on TV because I get so worked up so I am probably not the best source of calm regarding the state of NU hoops. And you say - well if you can't watch games on TV how do watch the team - I go to all the home games and watch replays of the road games that NU wins. Road losses are discarded into the dustbin of digital history.
Sometimes the game in which a star player sets a milestone record is a difficult game for that star. That’s the only way we lose this game. Boo doesn’t seemed fazed by much, so that seems unlikely.

If you worry about this game, I suspect you worry about every Big Ten game. You will eventually be correct. I expect rolling to a W!

I worry about every NU game. These guys aren’t just full time athletes, they’re also students, and basically teenagers.

They’ve got a lot going on, is what I’m saying and I never know what else in the background might find it’s way into their heads and onto the court.

That’s a big part of what makes college basketball (sports) so awesome imho.

Of course, I can't watch games on TV because I get so worked up so I am probably not the best source of calm regarding the state of NU hoops.
I am the same. I turned on the Indy game when we looked safely ahead, and the basketball gods laughed and me and our lead melted like an ice.cream cone. So i turned it back off

I worry about every NU game. These guys aren’t just full time athletes, they’re also students, and basically teenagers.
Buie is 24. None of the guys who play significant minutes are "basically teenagers", which is why they have been so resilient this year (Chicago State aside).

Reactions: NUCat320
You all keep discussing basketball and tonight's game...

Didn't you all hear about the nationwide ATT outages?

I don't mean to sound too alarming, but that's how zombie apocalypses start.

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320

They’ve got a lot going on, is what I’m saying and I never know what else in the background might find it’s way into their heads and onto the court.

That’s a big part of what makes college basketball (sports) so awesome imho.
Losing to Michigan tonight would be the B1G equivalent to losing to Chicago State at home. I hope our guys and coaches learned their lesson and bury Juwon's boys.

I’m firmly entrenched in middle age, I have young children, and my comfy schmumfy couch has tricked me into more naps than I can remember.

Also, I never claimed to be a diehard.
Plus the line is "don't sleep" -- nothing about naps :)

Reactions: CatManTrue
I worry about every game too, as do many (all?) of you. This one should be "easy," and I think it will be, but I'll be happy and relieved when we can pop the champagne tonight.

By most accounts, tonight should be really fun to be an NU fan. I don't think they're going to let us down.

Normally these scouting reports are relatively easy to write, but Michigan is a bit of a disaster at the moment, so let's see what I can come up with:

Normally Dug McDaniel would be the starting PG, but he's been suspended for road games in conference this season, so he won't be playing. That's great, because he's their best player, and their defense goes in the tank when he's out. In his place, we have Jaelin Llewellyn, 6th-year player formerly of Princeton. Llewellyn has had a history of injuries and was an afterthought this season up until McDaniel got suspended, and has been averaging 32mpg in away games. He is significantly inferior to McDaniel, as his assist-to-turnover ratio is nearly 1:2, however he is a very good 3-point shooter, at 42.5% in conference play. Despite being 6'2", he is only 45% on layups and an abysmal 14% on midrange shots.

In road games, his theoretical backup is the excellently-named George Washington, a freshman who has had very limited minutes except in blowout losses. Not much else to say about him.

Nimari Burnett is the other starting guard, a transfer from Alabama. He's probably their best all-around player - decent passer, doesn't turn the ball over, good defender, average three-point shooter. Generally though he's their last option on offense, but has had games where he's scored in bunches. On defense, he averages 0.8 steals and 0.3 blocks per game.

Terrance Williams is the normal starter at SF, though he missed their last game against MSU due to illness. He has been their best player in conference play (which isn't saying that much), where he's been averaging 12.3 points/game, and has been a solid offensive rebounder and above-average 3-point shooter. Last year at W-R, he scored 7 points and grabbed 10 boards in Michigan's blowout win.

Olivier Nkamhoua was the normal starter at the Stretch 4, however he's out for the season due to surgery and won't be playing. A nice break for us, as he was their 2nd-best rebounder and shot-blocker while also being a decent passer and their best midrange shooter. This likely means we'll be seeing a lot of the cheese man, Will Tschetter. Tschetter has spent this season backing up both Williams and Nkamhoua, and has provided them with valuable depth in his 16mpg, shooting 48% from 3 on roughly 2 shots per game. He's also a good offensive rebounder, however his biggest issue this year has been fouling at an unsustainable rate, so we'll see how long he can stay on the court. Against Purdue he fouled out in 20 minutes and against MD he did it in 23. Last year against us he picked up 4 fouls and 2 turnovers in 10 minutes in the first game and didn't play in the second. Also last year, he started 7 conference games, but only averaged 1.8 points and 2.7 boards/game in 16mpg.

Lastly we have large Center Tarris Reed, a similarly-sized behemoth to our own Big Matt. Reed is one of the best rebounders in the conference, likely second behind Edey, and a top shot-blocker as well. Reed gets to the FT line a lot, but only shoots 67%. Offensively, he's decent at the rim though not elite, and if we can keep him out of the lane on offense, he shoots an abysmal 28% from midrange. He also struggles with turning the ball over, so if we choose to double him in the post, hopefully that trend continues. This year he's averaged 10.4 points, 7.8 boards and 1.7 blocks/game, though in the last 5 games that has gone up to 12.2 points, 9.6 boards and 2.8 blocks in 31mpg. Last year against us, he scored 6 points with 8 boards and 2 blocks in the first game as Hunter Dickinson's backup, but also had 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 18 minutes. In the second game, he was held to just 2 points, 1 rebound and 1 block with 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 11 minutes.

Reed's backup is 5th year graduate double-transfer Tray Jackson, who had two successful seasons at Seton Hall before coming back home for his final year. He has struggled this year though, posting career-lows in overall shooting percentage, 3pt%, FT%, offensive rebound% and turnover%. He theoretically has range from deep, shooting 41.7% from 3 at Seton Hall, but this year is only at 30%. He's a decent shot blocker and defensive rebounder.

As for who else might play...uh, it's hard to say. Jace Howard has missed the last 5 games with an illness, but played in 5 games before that, averaging 10mpg though being largely ineffective. Youssef Khayat is a 6'9" sophomore who's played in a handful of games and could likely see some minutes. The rest are a bunch of walk-ons.

That being said, this is NU basketball, and what seems like it should be a blowout may not turn out that way.

Don't sleep on the Wolverines.
Saw one of their guys just had surgery and is out for rest of season 13-14ppg 7-8rpg seems to be another big loss

Plus the line is "don't sleep" -- nothing about naps :)
Amen!!

Our basketball record is pretty good when I fall asleep on the couch.

I didn’t sleep a wink during Rutgers and you saw what happened there…

For what its worth, NU has really "settled down" as far as consistency is concerned.

In 9 of our last 12 games, we've been within 5 points of the expected final margin.

That follows a very erratic period where all 6 of our final scores were 8 to 26 points away from the expected margin.

Michigan, on the other hand, has underperformed expectations by 7.5 points or more in 7 of its last 9.
Thats hard to do. Lets hope that continues tonight.

Forget about sleeping with the fishes, Michigan is at the bottom of the Mackinac Straight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT