ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Odds vs. Duke

I'd relish the day(s) when NU is favored by 14 or more every game.
Me too.

NU seems to play better with a chip on their shoulder. I don't have a clue what their record is when favored. But they have a better winning percentage on the road than at home. From the 2009 season through Thursdays game, NU is 30-24 at home against FBS opponents, and 30-17 on the road. Clearly NU doesn't have a "home field advantage". The Fighting Fitzes do VERY well in "hostile" road environments.

'Cats minus 3. Sounds about right.
Exactly how I see the game. Equal teams on a neutral field.

Similar talent levels (or perhaps a slight nod to us), but it all comes down to execution.

Will be a harder game than the Purdue game imo because Duke is less error-prone and better disciplined than Purdue.

Exactly how I see the game. Equal teams on a neutral field.

Similar talent levels (or perhaps a slight nod to us), but it all comes down to execution.

Will be a harder game than the Purdue game imo because Duke is less error-prone and better disciplined than Purdue.

...but Purdue has Brohm ... :rolleyes:

Like Vault they appear to be MIA.
Who you calling Mia?
11614_HammMia_ISI_xl_mpoly205.jpg

Reactions: rmndcat
I get the feeling that the wheels may come off for Minnesota pretty quickly once B1G play starts.
New Mexico State looks really, really bad in their first two games. And Wyoming who shellacked NMSU got steamrolled by Washington State. We shall see.

Should have scheduled Kent St. or Western.

Akron got smoked by Penn State 52-0 to open last year, then 41-14 by Iowa State in the third game, then absolutely obliterated by FAU 50-3 in the Boca Raton Bowl.

Why are we worried about them again?

It is bizarre just how difficult it is for NU fans to comprehend that we have a real live, good football team.

I believe it. But, to paraphrase you from another thread, as long as “#18 is on this series count bs,” I think some fretting is reasonable.

I believe it. But, to paraphrase you from another thread, as long as “#18 is on this series count bs,” I think some fretting is reasonable.

Wait, I thought I was supposed to be enamored with TJ Green based on his Purdue performance... ;)

From a bettor perspective, if I had to lay it today, I'd take Duke +3 or even Duke moneyline. I certainly won't since I don't bet against a team I'm rooting for, but it's the apparently sharp play here (when I get hammered for this after NU wins, I remind you that consistently-winning "sharps" win only about 53% of the time).

From a bettor perspective, if I had to lay it today, I'd take Duke +3 or even Duke moneyline. I certainly won't since I don't bet against a team I'm rooting for, but it's the apparently sharp play here (when I get hammered for this after NU wins, I remind you that consistently-winning "sharps" win only about 53% of the time).
I know little about odds making. Please explain your thinking here.

I know little about odds making. Please explain your thinking here.

The teams are essentially power rated evenly on a neutral field, so a 3 point line is pretty much dead on. Despite 83% of the early bets on NU (per SportsInsights), the line hasn't moved off the initial posted number, which means public perception is not driving the number up to 3.5, where sharps would pound the underdog. I'll take a +3 dog in a coinflip game where the public is all over the favorite almost as a rule.

The teams are essentially power rated evenly on a neutral field, so a 3 point line is pretty much dead on. Despite 83% of the early bets on NU (per SportsInsights), the line hasn't moved off the initial posted number, which means public perception is not driving the number up to 3.5, where sharps would pound the underdog. I'll take a +3 dog in a coinflip game where the public is all over the favorite almost as a rule.
I get it now. Sharps are the elites who play off the Squares.

Sharp play is probably to stay away and find better value elsewhere. NU's lack of homefield would only be a consideration if they were laying a touchdown or more, especially since we are the only team with a road win in this most recent iteration of the series.

Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT