ADVERTISEMENT

Opening up the playbook

beetlemania74

Dec 7, 2008
In years past, Fitz has made of point of saying that they've played things pretty conservatively in nonconference games but have then "opened the playbook" for the conference games. Clearly, we saw a pretty vanilla approach on offense last night, especially in the first half. We saw a bit more "trickeration" in Stanford and Duke games (i.e. Scanlan pass to CT), and I'm excited to see what the coaches have in store starting next week.

We opened it up in the second half. My question is: why hide it. Clearly, it was the same old NU offense we always run: up tempo, high-percentage, quick slants outside and up the gut delayed runs when the defense overcommits, setting up the deep shot when they try to stuff the run. Since there's nothing new there, why hide it? What's the big fricking secret?

We opened it up in the second half. My question is: why hide it. Clearly, it was the same old NU offense we always run: up tempo, high-percentage, quick slants outside and up the gut delayed runs when the defense overcommits, setting up the deep shot when they try to stuff the run. Since there's nothing new there, why hide it? What's the big fricking secret?

Because it's always better to win with your base/vanilla stuff if you can. By halftime it had become pretty obvious we were going to have to do a little more, so we went with a more balanced run/pass offense in the second half.

The second half is more of what Mick would like his offense to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT