ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baker Mayfield

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I can do without his theatrics, but he has has a phenomenal rookie season as a QB by historical standards. His QB rating of 95.1 exceeds the rookie year ratings of all QBs not named Marino, Roethlisberger, Dak, or Russel Wilson. And he’s done it in Cleveland with a fired coach and no Josh Gordon.

Reactions: 1711 Cardiff
He was impressive this past Sunday. His mobility made him difficult to defend but what surprised me was his accuracy. On several throws he put the ball in the only spot it could be caught under very tight coverage. If they hire the right coach, he has a chance to be very good.

He was impressive this past Sunday. His mobility made him difficult to defend but what surprised me was his accuracy. On several throws he put the ball in the only spot it could be caught under very tight coverage. If they hire the right coach, he has a chance to be very good.
I think throwing on the move or improvising is his elite trait. He’s an improved version of one of my favorite Cats, Dan Persa. That guy was putting balls in tight windows.

Reactions: Medill '03
He’s been very impressive, but his whole thing with Hue Jackson is a little stupid. Hue was fired, and accepted another job. If he has issues with him, I get it, but he doesn’t have to comment or gesture when he plays against him, or whatever.

He’s been very impressive, but his whole thing with Hue Jackson is a little stupid. Hue was fired, and accepted another job. If he has issues with him, I get it, but he doesn’t have to comment or gesture when he plays against him, or whatever.

His off the field stuff is just stupid. He has a little Jim McMahon in him both on and off the field.

I can personally attest that feelings towards a crappy coach can linger for a *long* time. I’d share more details if we were on the Rock; but let’s just assume that Hue was grossly incompetent - maybe a jerk - and that any edge Baker has that helps Cleveland win is a good thing. Good for him, and I hope he’s not a one-season wonder.

I can personally attest that feelings towards a crappy coach can linger for a *long* time. I’d share more details if we were on the Rock; but let’s just assume that Hue was grossly incompetent - maybe a jerk - and that any edge Baker has that helps Cleveland win is a good thing. Good for him, and I hope he’s not a one-season wonder.
That Baker is a jerk is beyond question.

Reactions: StratCat84
That Baker is a jerk is beyond question.
Why, because he’s stared down the awful former head coach who benched him behind a much worse QB, thus costing them two or three wins, and then defected in season to their arch-rival? Whom he then beat twice in a row?

I don’t know the specifics of their relationship but I’d be pretty pissed if he cost my team a chance at the playoffs too. What about the defensive back who derisively handed Hue the ball after a big interception?

Does TheC stand for “The Cincinnati” by chance? Is there some sort of bias at play here?

Don't many accomplished athletes use disrepect and slights, both real and imagined, to fuel their competitive edge? I believe it was Michael Jordan who famously used his hall of fame acceptance speech to go after those who had criticized or doubted him in the past. It's a bit sociopathic but it's what makes them great competitors. I think Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, and Terrell Owens (to name a few) are probably similiar in nature.

Don't many accomplished athletes use disrepect and slights, both real and imagined, to fuel their competitive edge? I believe it was Michael Jordan who famously used his hall of fame acceptance speech to go after those who had criticized or doubted him in the past. It's a bit sociopathic but it's what makes them great competitors. I think Tiger Woods, Lance Armstrong, and Terrell Owens (to name a few) are probably similiar in nature.
I believe old Lance used performance enhancing drugs far more than disrespect and slights to fuel HIS competitive edge......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT