ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Brother-in-law got some love from Jon Gruden on MNF tonight

Wave- I was in Portland and Eugene over Thanksgiving. I still enjoy going out along the scenic highway on the Oregon side of the Columbia River out to the town of Hood River where your fellow windsurfers like to play. Full Sail Brewery overlooking the river is always a favorite stop for a cool one. Congrats to the shout-out about your brother-in-law's coaching skills on national media.

West Coast:

As you know, Hood River is an epic Kiteboarding and Windsurfing location. However, I haven't windsurfed since I started kiteboarding 12 years ago. Hood River, OR was where I was certified as an iko Kiteboard instructor in 2006. Since then, I've taught hundreds of students (young, old, male, female) how to kiteboard. Heck, if I can do it at my age, anybody can.

That 2006 trip wast my first trip to the Gorge and I have to say, I was intimidated on the first day when I hit the water in 40 to 45 mph winds. Some time during the second day it became pure fun as I adjusted to the height of my jumps. Must admit, I blew a few landings at first.

gocats:

My brother-in-law is the tight ends coach for the Carolina Panthers. He's got a history of coaching Pro bowl tight ends - Vernon Davis, Greg Olson.

He's been a FBS offensive coordinator at the college level with stops at Missouri, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa State, TCU, Texas A&M. At the NFL level he's coached at St Louis Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, and now, Carolina Panthers.

I like to tell him he's like fly shit - he's been all over the place.

gocats:

My brother-in-law is the tight ends coach for the Carolina Panthers. He's got a history of coaching Pro bowl tight ends - Vernon Davis, Greg Olson.

He's been a FBS offensive coordinator at the college level with stops at Missouri, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa State, TCU, Texas A&M. At the NFL level he's coached at St Louis Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, and now, Carolina Panthers.

Got it, thanks.

The life of a coach is definitely nomadic. Part of the reason I stopped pursuing that career path.

gocats:

Why so many jumps?

Several reasons, but the two most applicable are leaving for a better gig, and the fact that when a head coach either gets fired or leaves, usually the assistants are not retained.

Several reasons, but the two most applicable are leaving for a better gig, and the fact that when a head coach either gets fired or leaves, usually the assistants are not retained.

Just seems like a heck of a lot of stops. Has he ever been interested in a HC position (with his experience, he'd definitely be considered at the collegiate level). A little more comtrol over your own job security there...

When Pat Sullivan left TCU, Pete was the offensive coordinator for the then Southwest Conference Champs. Upon Sullivan's leaving, he was very strongly considered for the head coach position. In fact, he was probably the leading contender, but at the end of the year, the athletic director also left, and the new AD hired Dennis Francione - who turned out to be a real jerk.

When Mike Nolan left San Francisco, Pete was retained by Mike Singletary as tight ends coach, but many fans wanted him to be named offensive coordinator.

What you probably don't know about the NFL is that a coach's current team can refuse to allow their coaches to be interviewed for a higher position with another team. It happens more than you think.

Two of the nicest head coaches I've met through Pete are Mike McCarthy of the Packers and Dan McCarney when he was the head coach at Iowa State. At an after game party against Colorado, (when Fitzgerald was a grad assistant under Barnett there), we went to McCarney's house and he kept pouring me full 8 oz. glasses of vodka neat. Had to drive to the motel - as we were too drunk to walk.

At that Colorado-Iowa State game, I hadn't seen Gary Barnett for at least two years, and had only talked with him on about 5 occasions before that, yet when I met him on the field that day, he remembered my name. I will never think about him in any other way than he was a total class act.

When Pat Sullivan left TCU, Pete was the offensive coordinator for the then Southwest Conference Champs. Upon Sullivan's leaving, he was very strongly considered for the head coach position. In fact, he was probably the leading contender, but at the end of the year, the athletic director also left, and the new AD hired Dennis Francione - who turned out to be a real jerk.

When Mike Nolan left San Francisco, Pete was retained by Mike Singletary as tight ends coach, but many fans wanted him to be named offensive coordinator.

What you probably don't know about the NFL is that a coach's current team can refuse to allow their coaches to be interviewed for a higher position with another team. It happens more than you think.

Two of the nicest head coaches I've met through Pete are Mike McCarthy of the Packers and Dan McCarney when he was the head coach at Iowa State. At an after game party against Colorado, (when Fitzgerald was a grad assistant under Barnett there), we went to McCarney's house and he kept pouring me full 8 oz. glasses of vodka neat. Had to drive to the motel - as we were too drunk to walk.

At that Colorado-Iowa State game, I hadn't seen Gary Barnett for at least two years, and had only talked with him on about 5 occasions before that, yet when I met him on the field that day, he remembered my name. I will never think about him in any other way than he was a total class act.

Good stuff! Thanks for the post!

Wavejumper- thanks for your response. I mentioned Hood River and Full Sail Brewery as a place I always stop for a cold one and a great view of the Columbia. I've done the Hood Loop many times over the years along the historic highway out to Hood River then driving up to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood then back to Portland. A great drive. I guess kiteboarding has taken over from windsurfing. I see kiteboarders nearby at the beach at Torrey Pines State Reserve and at the beach near Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach but rarely see windsurfers locally anymore. The Columbia Gorge is basically a wind tunnel as you know so the kiteboarders get a dramatic amount of air. I have friends who have second homes in the Chinook/Long Beach, WA and I have seen some windsurfers in the bay over in that area too. I've had fun going salmon fishing in that area too so it may be something for you to check out in the future if you've not tried it out before. Just a great area to vacation, but not in the winter!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT