ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Can we end the military jet flyovers please?

TheC

May 29, 2001
Seems like every big college and pro game had one this weekend. Heck, they just had one in Vegas tonight and that game is in a damn dome. I’ve heard they’re incredibly expensive to stage. And in this era of worsening climate change, they are sinfully wasteful. Aren’t we over them by now?

Seems like every big college and pro game had one this weekend. Heck, they just had one in Vegas tonight and that game is in a damn dome. I’ve heard they’re incredibly expensive to stage. And in this era of worsening climate change, they are sinfully wasteful. Aren’t we over them by now?

Pretty sure that statement is false as the flyovers are incorporated as part of the pilot training so no additional cost or worsening to the climate.

On another topic, I am kind of enjoying listening to the Manning brothers call this MNF game.

You need to see a psychologist real bad.

I love 'em. The Blue Angels were in for the Air/Water show the weekend of the first Bears pre-season game. They shook SF with a couple REALLY low passes. It was awesome. Guessing there will be flyover on Sunday as well as Bears usually have one for the opener.
Just seems like an awful big waste just so that a group of people can go "OOOOOOOOOHHHHH" for 3.5 seconds. But maybe Coral's right. Maybe the flight training paths are designed to go over every big stadium in America.

Just seems like an awful big waste just so that a group of people can go "OOOOOOOOOHHHHH" for 3.5 seconds. But maybe Coral's right. Maybe the flight training paths are designed to go over every big stadium in America.
They have to get training flights in somewhere as the pilots need a certain number of hours to stay current. Easy enough to just have some getting their hours that way

I love seeing the flyovers. It really adds something special to the game experience. I love airshows, too, and when I was younger, I used assemble plastic models of Air Force and Navy jets. Unless you live close to a military air base, it is unusual see those aircraft flying that low, so low that you can recognize the type of aircraft. Seeing them live and at that altitude is amazing.

Then again, it should not be overdone. I would reserve flyovers for special games.

By the way, back in the sixties, it was not that unusual to hear the occasional sonic boom in the suburbs of Chicago. I did on several occasions. That was before the FAA banned supersonic flight over most of the US. I also remember when Glenview Naval Air Station was still active. Whenever a particularly interesting plane was going to take off or land there, word would leak out and lots of cars would line up at the end of the run way (a little south of Willow Road today) to watch it.

Help, police, murder!

Last edited:
I'm with TheC. Pre-game flyovers seem pointless and wasteful to me. And now that I know those are novice aviators overhead, I have even more apprehension.

The country as a whole would benefit from no longer fetish-izing the military industrial complex. These are the same high-school-level-education fools who blew up an aid worker and his family in Afghanistan thinking he was a terrorist 2 weeks ago. Hold them accountable, don't just point at their shiny toys and say "Ooooooh!"

I'm with TheC. Pre-game flyovers seem pointless and wasteful to me. And now that I know those are novice aviators overhead, I have even more apprehension.

The country as a whole would benefit from no longer fetish-izing the military industrial complex. These are the same high-school-level-education fools who blew up an aid worker and his family in Afghanistan thinking he was a terrorist 2 weeks ago. Hold them accountable, don't just point at their shiny toys and say "Ooooooh!"
I doubt you will find too many military aviators that are not college grads these days
Look, no alibis. You claim the flyovers are destroying the earth. Whats wrong with you?
Yea, lets scrap all the waste at your place first. Shut down cruise ships and airlines and disband the military due to the ocean going up another few centimeters this century!
We are starting to suck carbon D out of the atmosphere with our carbon generators now. Over the next 50 years, there will be so many generators going that science will save the world, remember?
And China keeps oon putting it right back in

Pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency. These flyovers will incur no additional cost to taxpayers.

I think I was pretty clear in my posts.
Yes, you have been and that is exactly the problem. Because you are entirely wrong about these flights representing any additional expense or consumption of fuel.

As others have pointed out if these pilots weren't flying over football stadiums providing a wonderful patriotic moment to the fans they would be flying somewhere else. Same amount of fuel being used.

So that leaves the question of why you really are so against them when most fans think that they are great.

Oh my god... that is a shock. I was just YouTubing some of his stuff yesterday. Such a unique comedian.
He had a voice part in the animated feature Klaus (it might be his last film role). It's an underappreciated film (probably should have won the Academy Award that year), and Norm was absolutely perfect for the part, a perfect match for his sardonic persona.

I love seeing the flyovers. It really adds something special to the game experience. I love airshows, too, and when I was younger, I used assemble plastic models of Air Force and Navy jets. Unless you live close to a military air base, it is unusual see those aircraft flying that low, so low that you can recognize the type of aircraft. Seeing them live and at that altitude is amazing.

Then again, it should not be overdone. I would reserve flyovers for special games.

By the way, back in the sixties, it was not that unusual to hear the occasional sonic boom in the suburbs of Chicago. I did on several occasions. That was before the FAA banned supersonic flight over most of the US. I also remember when Glenview Naval Air Station was still active. Whenever a particularly interesting plane was going to take off or land there, word would leak out and lots of cars would line up at the end of the run way (a little south of Willow Road today) to watch it.

Sonic booms? Yes, I remember them when I was in grade school playing on the playground as planes from the nearby Air Force Base would take flight. Although the booms have been muted, from my office that overlooks the same military base I still get to hear screaming engines from fighter jets on almost a daily basis. I particularly enjoy their aerial acrobatics when they go vertical or fly in tandem.

Viewed from the office balcony:

IMG_8255(1).jpg
IMG_5301(1).jpg

Google. - Navy / TCU flyover That was not a flyover but a fly through

I was looking at the pilot through the jet's canopy

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I doubt you will find too many military aviators that are not college grads these days

And China keeps oon putting it right back in
Of course. The haters hate over flyby and other things that any sane happy person wouldnt consider a problem. Calling the pilots fools etc. Such haters need to get their frustrations out and come back to reality.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Only thing worse that fans, are jingoistic fans.

Often more than 60% of our F-35 are grounded due to mechanical issues, it is never less than 30%; and resources are being diverted to flyovers? And to this some chant: “USA…USA…USA…” really?

Moreover, flyovers pose an unnecessary risk to the public and our boys and girls that fly them. Don't be confused, jingoistic bloodlust is invoked during a flyover, not patriotism.

And let’s give 5 facepalms out of 5, to the idea that the flight hours would need to be clocked anyways. Flyovers are done by a small % of our pilots; the hours clocked far exceed what is required to maintain flight proficiency; and should we ever need these guys to defend America, these flyover-boys will need to spend time in real training to help defend.

Flyovers are propaganda, one small part of the greater inculcation designed to dissuade Americans from recognizing the primary mission of todays’ Department of War, euphemistically re-named the DOD under Truman, which is profit on global death, murder and tyranny.

True Americans restlessly cogitate over the well-being of our brave boys and girls that are innocently caught up in this primary mission, who, EG, made the decision to or executed an Afghan drone strike that killed ten innocents, including 7 children. Way too many of our brave well-meaning boys and girls are depressed for life and/or suicidal because they realize consciously or otherwise that they were not performing a mission for America’s defense and welfare but were assisting evil.

Another reason I’m probably destined to remain a,
CatWithoutAParty

Reactions: mountaindrew

Novice? They have all been trained and several hundred to thousands of hours of flight time. And to become a military aviator, they would be college grads. Of course college education is not what it used to be

Yes, you have been and that is exactly the problem. Because you are entirely wrong about these flights representing any additional expense or consumption of fuel.

As others have pointed out if these pilots weren't flying over football stadiums providing a wonderful patriotic moment to the fans they would be flying somewhere else. Same amount of fuel being used.

So that leaves the question of why you really are so against them when most fans think that they are great.
But not all. Far from it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT