ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Growing the Perfect Lawn

My strategy this year is to plant weeds, and let the grass take over.
Smoke Weed GIF

(Speaking of weed… I found that GIF of OP)

I swear when I go back to visit NU for homecoming, the North Shore deports all weeds for the weekend. I don't know if it is the soil, weather, nuclear doses of chemicals and/or obsessive home owners, but it works. If you want some serious weeds come visit the mid-Atlantic. We have trees sprouting out of our lawns. Anything that grows. Plus with "Save the Bay", using chemicals is frowned upon and widely outlawed.

My strategy this year is to plant weeds, and let the grass take over.
If it weren't for weeds, I'd have no green in my lawn at all. I'm not an overly religious person, but the way I look at it is I let God decide what grows in my lawn.

Reactions: stpaulcat
I’d never used a preemergent before but adding that in the early spring to my regimen, and then hitting it back up with a typical weed and feed in the late spring was a real winner.y sprinkler system doesn’t work so I’m careful with hitting it with more stuff that could burn it out in the heat of summer, but that combo was a real winner for me that lasted all summer!

I’m not the guy with the perfect lawn. That’s the three houses in a row to my right. One is a retired guy, one is a lawn fanatic who loves landscaping projects, and one is a real projectaholic who gets bored if he doesn’t have something to fuss with. I have no interest in keeping up with them. The guy on the far side of those three is busting his butt all summer to get on their level, I’m very happy with a solid B+ front yard that is superior to the pretty bad lawns that make up some of the houses in the opposite direction. I’m part of the quality club, I don’t need to be king of the block! Solid results for minimum effort, not maximum results for too much effort.

I’d never used a preemergent before but adding that in the early spring to my regimen, and then hitting it back up with a typical weed and feed in the late spring was a real winner.y sprinkler system doesn’t work so I’m careful with hitting it with more stuff that could burn it out in the heat of summer, but that combo was a real winner for me that lasted all summer!

I’m not the guy with the perfect lawn. That’s the three houses in a row to my right. One is a retired guy, one is a lawn fanatic who loves landscaping projects, and one is a real projectaholic who gets bored if he doesn’t have something to fuss with. I have no interest in keeping up with them. The guy on the far side of those three is busting his butt all summer to get on their level, I’m very happy with a solid B+ front yard that is superior to the pretty bad lawns that make up some of the houses in the opposite direction. I’m part of the quality club, I don’t need to be king of the block! Solid results for minimum effort, not maximum results for too much effort.
I like trees in my yard too much to have a perfect lawn. A tradeoff I am happy to make.

I like trees in my yard too much to have a perfect lawn. A tradeoff I am happy to make.
The part of my lawn that gets well shaded is actually generally the most luscious, at least in the front yard. Due to aforementioned lack of working sprinklers, the parts that get no shade can get a little baked out if it’s a hot summer and aren’t as thick.

The backyard is a different animal as there is so much tree cover that some areas never see any sun and are more of a forest floor than a lawn. Good thing nobody sees the backyard!

I had a neighbor 3 doors down who cut his lawn north/south 3 days week and east/west 3 days a week while he rested on Sundays.,He had attachments where he could clean his gutters two stories up from the ground. He had every gizmo which he loved to use. My Dad said to become friendly with him.,3 other neighbors were similar. Luckily, my wife, the clear better half, within 3 months after the birth of son could fit into tight, short shorts and a halter top by summer. She met all the neighbors and brought them and their wives soup. I did not have to snow blow or edge the lawn for the three years we lived there. My lawn was not perfect, but it met muster. Gosh, I miss those guys.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT