ADVERTISEMENT

The CBS telecast

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
First off: YESSSSSSSSSS GO CATS!!!

Second: So awesome having the early CBS game with the A crew. Quality opponent from last year’s final four. Close game. Lots of good publicity for NU along the way, and then…a big OT win. Big deal for the program. CBS did a nice job. Boo IS this team, but it was nice seeing some other guys featured well on the broadcast. And what can you even say about Ryan? The yell I let out when he buried that three…

Third: For those who were there, please comment on the crowd (similar to SLC in 17?) because on TV it *sounded* like a home game. Our fans brought it. Awesome.

Fourth: The refs were dreadful and almost stole it from us twice. CBS definitely agreed, too.

Second: So awesome having the early CBS game with the A crew. Quality opponent from last year’s final four. Close game. Lots of good publicity for NU along the way, and then…a big OT win. Big deal for the program. CBS did a nice job. Boo IS this team, but it was nice seeing some other guys featured well on the broadcast. And what can you even say about Ryan? The yell I let out when he buried that three…

Third: For those who were there, please comment on the crowd (similar to SLC in 17?) because on TV it *sounded* like a home game. Our fans brought it. Awesome.

Fourth: The refs were dreadful and almost stole it from us twice. CBS definitely agreed, too.
Seemed like an even better ratio of NU to opponent fans than in SLC. Our fans were pretty much everywhere. FAU fans were largely in one section. And Willy won another dance contest…

I learned (on multiple occasions) that Blake Smith is a walk-on and that Barnhizer's dad coached the FAU coach in high school. I actually didn't know about the connection with the FAU coach.

I learned (on multiple occasions) that Blake Smith is a walk-on and that Barnhizer's dad coached the FAU coach in high school. I actually didn't know about the connection with the FAU coach.
For a national broadcast where you just don’t have a lot of time to get on the weeks while you’re also introducing the teams, calling the drama, and discussing the overall tournament, they had some really nice content on the whole Barnhizer family and Dusty May nexus.

For a national broadcast where you just don’t have a lot of time to get on the weeks while you’re also introducing the teams, calling the drama, and discussing the overall tournament, they had some really nice content on the whole Barnhizer family and Dusty May nexus.
You just know that Brooks Barnhizer, the son of a coach, will be a coach himself some day. Basketball is in his blood.

I did learn that Luke Hunger's dad played professional b-ball. That was definitely new to me.
I learned that Pharrell Williams went to Northwestern (though further research found that he is not an alum as was claimed).

I also learned that Northwestern basketball is "blue collar", at least in the opinion of Grant Hill.

• Wow
Reactions: Yeswecat and DaCat

The crowd sounded great on TV! Though I could hardly hear you over my own happy screams in OT.

The camera originally (and mistakenly) focused on Ryan Langborg’s dad. I’ve spoken with him at games and am pretty sure it was him. In all fairness they do look somewhat similar.

I learned that Pharrell Williams went to Northwestern (though further research found that he is not an alum as was claimed).

I also learned that Northwestern basketball is "blue collar", at least in the opinion of Grant Hill.

Its really the go to for Hill. Yes, Ryan Langborg, Princeton alum and NU grad student from San Diego is "blue collar." Just say the kid plays really hard.

Though the telecast and announcing crew were great, the decision to break in to announce Princess Kate's cancer diagnosis was potentially stroke inducing, at least in my den..."Nobody F$%^ing Cares, Get Back to the Game!!!"
I was swearing at my tv like you wouldn’t believe. That was not newsworthy enough to interrupt a live broadcast of a an NCAA tourney game.

In retrospect, i don’t think they actually missed any of the game.

Though the telecast and announcing crew were great, the decision to break in to announce Princess Kate's cancer diagnosis was potentially stroke inducing, at least in my den..."Nobody F$%^ing Cares, Get Back to the Game!!!"
I'm with you, and I said, "if I miss one second of this game I'm throwing something at the TV."

I wrote a longer thing that sounded callous but deleted it. Let's just say I don't agree with breaking into regular programming (live sporting event or not) with this news.

But I was reminded of this classic:

Call the FBI, the CIA, and the Pentagon: Find out who won that game!

• Haha
Reactions: Yeswecat
The Pharrell thing was wild! I can’t believe it took 25 years of phame for me to learn.

A legendary Wildcat dropout, like Cindy Crawford and Zooey Deschanel.
Don't forget Warren Beatty. And Chet Haze.

Although Beatty did not graduate from NU, he does have a connection to Northwestern sports -- he was Pat Ryan's roommate! I imagine going out as Warren Beatty's sidekick could be pretty productive on the attractive female front

Purple far outnumbered red live, and especially in OT our fans were LOUD (myself definitely included). Their designated section was probably more rambunctious than ours but we had purple scattered throughout.
We didn’t outnumber Nebraska for their game. Once again, the over-rated Huskers loss a game but win the attendance battle!

Had to chain myself to the TV to watch this game. Was that intense enough for you?

Congrats to everyone who attended this one. One of the greatest games an NU team will ever play, IMHO, and you were there. You're unlikely to ever attend a more exciting game. As a film script, the game would fail because it would seem so contrived.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT