ADVERTISEMENT

Refs

lunker35

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2010
First off that win was awesome!

I need to rant though as going into OT I believe the foul differential was 22-9 and Buie was getting manhandled on every drive and cut. I watch a ton of Colorado State hoops too because a family connection and I can say without a doubt the B1G refs are truly awful. They don’t call a fair game and it was unbelievably evident again tonight. We would have won without OT if it wasn’t 5-8. I don’t get it and how change never happen. End rant.

Refs always suck.OR They are always awesome. Or they are always decent. Or.:.. Never ever should we ever talk about refs ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Illinois played out of control on offense a lot, it wasn't just Shannon careening into people and knocking guys down to get free throws. I'm still a bit amazed the refs didn't call Ty for that steal at the end.

But the goal tending they got away with was perhaps too soon for me. I was pretty fired up as
illinois played a lot on the rim all game, but Matt's the one who gets called out at the end.

/steaming

Reactions: ricko654321
Illinois played out of control on offense a lot, it wasn't just Shannon careening into people and knocking guys down to get free throws. I'm still a bit amazed the refs didn't call Ty for that steal at the end.

But the goal tending they got away with was perhaps too soon for me. I was pretty fired up as
illinois played a lot on the rim all game, but Matt's the one who gets called out at the end.

/steaming
If you look at the replays Shannon goes right into berry whose arm meets the ball. It was a fantastic strip. No foul and the ref was right on top of it.

The call wasn't goaltending, I think, although TV announcers so identified it. It was basket interference, a different offense. When ball is on the rim, net (part of basket) can't be touched.

Minor offense but if seen, must be called.

If you look at the replays Shannon goes right into berry whose arm meets the ball. It was a fantastic strip. No foul and the ref was right on top of it.
It was like Berry got his hand in Shannon’s pants and got that ball before Shannon even knew what hit him. A taste of Shannon’s own medicine.

Nicholson’s late goaltend was the right call. You could see his contact with the net cause the ball to spring out on the replay. (Ball was gonna roll out, sadly.)

The first half non-goaltend on Martinelli’s layup was a totally blown call. And if Berry committed a ‘flagrant’ foul, they should really change what it’s called, because Berry was playing hard defense and then there was some contact.

The call wasn't goaltending, I think, although TV announcers so identified it. It was basket interference, a different offense. When ball is on the rim, net (part of basket) can't be touched.

Minor offense but if seen, must be called.
Yeah, I'm not saying Matt was innocent in that move. I'm saying the Illini were playing on the rim a lot in regulation and had a couple of blatant goal tends with none of it called. So the call against Matt was just comedy gold by that point.

I thought the refs were equally crappy. They just got to the point where they let everything go.

The real problem was that game was teetering on the edge of out of control. You saw it postgame with Hawkins, Berry and Underwood. That's on the refs.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I thought the refs were equally crappy. They just got to the point where they let everything go.

The real problem was that game was teetering on the edge of out of control. You saw it postgame with Hawkins, Berry and Underwood. That's on the refs.
They let it go once it was 22-9 in favor of the Illini and missed a goaltending, as well as a questionable flagrant.

Yeah…. what was that crap all about? Undie should go lecture his own players and not talk to ours. What a jackass.

There was a jump ball call where Danja (sp) and Matt are involved. That was either a foul on Matt or traveling. They were confused all night. For someone who bleeds purple it feels like these crews are often just influenced by how much they get yelled at by guys like Underwood. For as much as Undie or Fran just lose composure, they do it for that reason, to get 22-9 games down the road.

For people watching at home..

What was the explanation for that call in second half where they originally called Boo for travelling and ultimately awarded ball back to NU.

BTW, also a bad night for our time keeper. I recall 3 specific times when shot clock was reset on shots that clearly missed the rim.

Last edited:

What was the explanation for than call in second half where they originally called Boo for travelling and ultimately awarded ball back to NU.

BTW, also a bad night for our time keeper. I recall 3 specific times when shot clock was reset on shots that clearly missed the rim.
The official at half-court had called a travel. The official on the baseline was guilty of an inadvertent whistle before the travel was called. So the earlier inadvertent whistle superseded the travel call from a distance.

On replay, I didn’t think it was a travel at all. Boo was panicky and pivoty, but that foot stayed set. (Live, I thought NU caught a huge break.)

The official at half-court had called a travel. The official on the baseline was guilty of an inadvertent whistle before the travel was called. So the earlier inadvertent whistle superseded the travel call from a distance.

On replay, I didn’t think it was a travel at all. Boo was panicky and pivoty, but that foot stayed set. (Live, I thought NU caught a huge break.)

I thought the baseline official overruled the halfcourt official (so they ruled inadvertent whistle by halfcourt official). It wasn't a travel at all, as the ball was deflected by the opponent and Boo regained control, clearly on replay. Collins was incredibly upset with the halfcourt official making a call that was not his to make especially since he couldn't see through traffic in the lane.

I think the baseline ref also knew that Boo was fouled (he didn't blow the whistle but he saw him get hacked) and that he didn't travel because the ball got deflected and he re-gathered, so he basically over-rode the travel call from the halfcourt ref. It was a very weird sequence, but ultimately resetting it was probably the right outcome. Although they prob should have left the shot clock as is rather than bumping it back up to 30 (just my opinion from a fairness perspective, I have no idea what the actual rule is for an inadvertent whistle but I presume they followed that).

They let it go once it was 22-9 in favor of the Illini and missed a goaltending, as well as a questionable flagrant.
Yeah exactly - after a ridiculous skew for most of the 2nd half, they basically just swallowed their whistles on both sides aside from egregious fouls, and let the kids play. Which, frankly, is what they should do the entire time.

In past years our teams were soft and a light whistle was bad because other teams would just take advantage of us. This current team is decidedly not soft. We don't need a tight game, we just need a game that is called evenly on both sides. If you are going to call the touch fouls on us, then call them the other way. If you are going to let it all go like they did in the last 5 ish mins + OT then that's great. Let the kids play, and the better team will win.

Once the refs got out of the way last night, the better team won.

(Not saying we are better than IL every night or overall because they absolutely smoked us in Champaign, but last night we were clearly the better team)

What I recall from the replay camera angle, Boo picked up his dribble, got fouled, and the ball went off the defender’s leg/knee. Boo took a shuffle and recovered the ‘loose’ ball and the ref whistled him from the other county while the ref in front of him ignored the hack and then over ruled the travel.

What I recall from the replay camera angle, Boo picked up his dribble, got fouled, and the ball went off the defender’s leg/knee. Boo took a shuffle and recovered the ‘loose’ ball and the ref whistled him from the other county while the ref in front of him ignored the hack and then over ruled the travel.
this was a more succinct description than mine. and precisely accurate, well done EagerFan.

I think the baseline ref also knew that Boo was fouled (he didn't blow the whistle but he saw him get hacked) and that he didn't travel because the ball got deflected and he re-gathered, so he basically over-rode the travel call from the halfcourt ref. It was a very weird sequence, but ultimately resetting it was probably the right outcome. Although they prob should have left the shot clock as is rather than bumping it back up to 30 (just my opinion from a fairness perspective, I have no idea what the actual rule is for an inadvertent whistle but I presume they followed that).
I thought the baseline official overruled the halfcourt official (so they ruled inadvertent whistle by halfcourt official). It wasn't a travel at all, as the ball was deflected by the opponent and Boo regained control, clearly on replay. Collins was incredibly upset with the halfcourt official making a call that was not his to make especially since he couldn't see through traffic in the lane.

You are all more right than me, but at least I was first.

Zebras got that one right, even though it looked odd.

The first half non-goaltend on Martinelli’s layup was a totally blown call. And if Berry committed a ‘flagrant’ foul, they should really change what it’s called, because Berry was playing hard defense and then there was some contact.
The BTN commentator (Robbie Hummel, I think?) talked about the flagrant foul at some length. Basically stated that he understands the call given the current wording in the rules (flagrant foul for any contact to the head/face), but that he hates the rule and did not think the foul on Berry should be considered flagrant. "He was clearly going for the ball."

How could the foul differential be 22-9 at the end of regulation, when the end of game differential was 19-15?
Are you sure you are not talking foul shots vs fouls? In OT, lot of fouling putting IL at the line because in regulation, as they were going down the stretch, I thought I saw that we had had about 5 FTs to 16 for them

What was the explanation for that call in second half where they originally called Boo for travelling and ultimately awarded ball back to NU.

Also, can the PA announcer refrain from talking about “ only 2 more misses to a free Chicken Sandwich “. At the most crucial times in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT