ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I Predict

Is Lance Armstrong in contention this year?

Roll is the Brent Musberger of pro cycling. Liggett is getting up there but still can riff.

Phil Liggett might arguably be the best play by play broadcaster in all of sports, one of the best in history. I'm surprised you guys can't stand good ol' Bob Roll. Obviously he can't carry Paul Sherwin's jockstrap - he and Phil were the greatest play by play team in any sport, better than Summerall/Madden. When we lost Paul, I thought I would not like Bob in the analyst spot, but I actually enjoy him. He's far better - IMO - with Phil than he is in the studio, where he is quite obnoxious.

I have not been paying attention to the spring racing circuit, and have no idea who this year's favorites are. Just hoping Team Sky, or whatever they're called now, are not in the team driver's seat anymore. Hungry, who else are among the top five GC contenders?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
My cycling partner in crime (we are headed to the Black Hills for gravel grinding in 2 weeks!) hates Roll like ECat hates DOSU. He doesn’t bother me that much.

The GC field is likely Pogacar and the rest to battle for the rest of the podium. But Vingegaard looked even stronger than Jumbo teammate Roglic in the Daupine. Vingegaard is clearly rising in the GC field. Jumbo also has Van Aert to give them stage wins, which helps Vin in the GC.

Those are top 3 guys, IMO. Bernal is just getting back in his bike.

Guys like Jack Haig and Ben OConner could sneak onto the podium, maybe even Geraint Thomas.

Reactions: mountaindrew
I'll take Pogacar. Watching him win the last 2 it is easy to overlook just how young he is. Another year older and stronger, if he avoids crashing and stays healthy he will be very hard to beat.

And FWIW, he demolished Vindegaard in the Tirreno-Adriatico......

I’m a big fan of the tour. Growing up our local AYH bike shop would have French tabloids to look over pics of the tour. One of my past spin instructors would try to emulate stages of the tour for her classes. I still enjoy watching, the stage sites in the mountains and countrysides are always scenic plus sometimes you pick up tidbits of French history. The mountain stages
are the most interesting to see who can survive those stages. I still remember these moments.

“Armstrong and Ullrich’s most notable Tour de France interactions: In Stage 10 in 2001, on the iconic Alpe d’Huez, Armstrong gave what came to be known as “The Look,” turning back to stare in sunglasses at Ullrich, then accelerating away to win the stage by 1:59.

In Stage 15 in 2003, Armstrong’s handlebars caught a spectator’s yellow bag. He crashed to the pavement. Ullrich and others slowed to allow Armstrong to remount and catch up. Armstrong won the stage, upping his lead from 15 seconds to 1:07, eventually winning the Tour by 1:01, by far the closest of his seven titles (again, all later stripped).”

I know those moments are tainted by both riders later admitting to doping. Jan Ullrich has struggled with addiction and other serious health problems after retiring. Ullrich and Armstrong have a close connection in retirement after being so competitive against each other during their careers. Sad that both have lost respect because of their drug use and deception while competing.

I'll take Pogacar. Watching him win the last 2 it is easy to overlook just how young he is. Another year older and stronger, if he avoids crashing and stays healthy he will be very hard to beat.

And FWIW, he demolished Vindegaard in the Tirreno-Adriatico......
Not a bad start for the 2 time champ.....

Separated at birth?

OIP.C0--5mOs8X5j7pmL3xU0qwAAAA

intro-1597064032.jpg

Vingegaard with an INCREDIBLE performance on the final climb of stage 11 to drop almost 3 minutes on Pogacar and claim THE MAILLOT JAUNE.

Gaining 3 minutes on one stage over a super rider like Pogacar is mind boggling. Can't wait to watch my recording of the stage.

Last edited:
Wow. Roglic and Kruisjwijk lost in one day for Jumbo! Dumbass protestors who caused the crash that knocked out SK should be made to eat chain grease. 3 big days coming up in the Pyrenees give Pogarcar plenty of opportunities to attack.

Tuesday's finish on the Peguere has a brutal final 3.5 kms. Expect Pogarcar to let loose there.

Wednesday's finish on the Peyragudes has two very steep segments over the final 3 kms after 3 big climbs. That is a PERFECT setup for Pogacar to attack, as he is exceptional on the steeps.

Stage 18 is similar, with a daunting 2 km stretch about halfway up the final climb on the Hautacam.

If Vingegaard can defend the yellow with his diminished team on these two brutal stages, he will have earned his title with accolades to spare.

Ride hard, boys.

Last edited:
Wow. Roglic and Kruisjwijk lost in one day for Jumbo! Dumbass protestors who caused the crash that knocked out SK should be made to eat chain grease. 3 big days coming up in the Pyrenees give Pogarcar plenty of opportunities to attack.

Tuesday's finish on the Peguere has a brutal final 3.5 kms. Expect Pogarcar to let loose there.

Wednesday's finish on the Peyragudes has two very steep segments over the final 3 kms after 3 big climbs. That is a PERFECT setup for Pogacar to attack, as he is exceptional on the steeps.

Stage 18 is similar, with a daunting 2 km stretch about halfway up the final climb on the Hautacam.

If Vingegaard can defend the yellow with his diminished team on these two brutal stages, he will have earned his title with accolades to spare.

Ride hard, boys.

Unbelievable. One team losing two top ten riders in ONE DAY.... holy spit. And neither to covid. That's just flat out unfair. Plus Vingegaard took a nasty fall himself just before the later climb. They had one of the strongest teams I've seen in a few years before today, and now... yet they still hold the yellow and green jerseys so they won't get a lot of sympathy from the peloton. I'm really rooting for Jumbo Visma now.

When I saw those protesters sitting in the middle of the road.... damn dipshits. That's all I'll say.

Pogacar has the fight, but Vingegaard has the legs. Too little, too late for Tadej after his stage win today.

Great to see the American riders performing so well. Kuss has proven to be a super domestique. McNulty rode like a champion today for Pogacar. Powless might be a GC contender someday soon. Quinn Simmons has (had) an awesome beard and has been involved in several breakaways.

The future is bright for US cyclists.

Pogacar has the fight, but Vingegaard has the legs. Too little, too late for Tadej after his stage win today.

Great to see the American riders performing so well. Kuss has proven to be a super domestique. McNulty rode like a champion today for Pogacar. Powless might be a GC contender someday soon. Quinn Simmons has (had) an awesome beard and has been involved in several breakaways.

The future is bright for US cyclists.

Yes Sir. Powless in the Top 15, and Kuss, McNulty AND Jorgensen all in the Top 25, and almost all of them are still pretty young riders. Wow. And don't forget about Joe Dombrowski. You gotta love a young American rider with an OL name.

I'm particularly impressed with the performance of Simmons, in his first TDF. The kid doesn't act like a rookie in his first three-week super grinding classic. Always at the front. And why'd he shave that awesome beard... probably because of the intolerable heat the last couple days. Can't blame him. And McNulty - he was beyond spectacular today. That performance will be talked about for years to come.

Today was such a memorable stage. What great riders Pogacar and Vingegaard are.... Pogacar looked so effortless staying on the wheel of McNulty all the way up the final two climbs, I thought for sure he pull away from JV and gain 10 to 20 seconds at the end... but Vingegaard barely gave him an inch. Wow. And after the race, Pogacar said he gave absolutely everything. So baring some major misfortune for JV, like in the time trial, looks like the race is decided. I wonder if Pogacar might have had a little more in the tank today if my guy Rafal Majka hadn't abandoned after tearing a muscle yesterday? What a shame. Tadej is now down to just three other teammates, and not only did McNulty ride out of his mind today, so did Bjerg. That was so inspiring watching him - not really a climber - basically spend every ounce of his strength pulling the peloton up the second AND third climbs to keep Tadej in striking distance of the leaders. Amazing.

And lastly, shout out to two of my favorite frogs, Thibault Pinot and Romain Bardet, who both attacked in the mountains and rode out of their minds. Six or seven years ago, I thought both of them could be the next great French rider, and make the podium in the future, and it hasn't worked out that way. But they're still riding at a very high level. Bardet had a rough day yesterday, dropped from 4th to 9th, and somehow rebounded today to finish ahead of everybody except the top 3. He's back to 6th overall now. And I haven't seen Pinot ride like that in the mountains in years. So many great stories every day of this race. Just love it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Pound for pound, grand tour riders--especially the GC guys and their domestiques--are the toughest athletes on the planet. I cannot think of another sport where athletes endure so much suffering for so long. And that's just for one stage. But 3 weeks? with the climbing, the heat, the crashes, getting sick, etc? These guys amaze me.

Jonas Vingegaard will win the 2022 Tour de France.

Hungry got it right, in his prediction three weeks ago. The next five years are shaping up to be a Holy Shit battle between Vingegaard/Jumbo and Pogacar/UAE, plus who knows which other great young rider and team will emerge? And with key Americans on both teams. Great time to be a TDF fan. Only question - how much longer will Phil Liggett last?

Last edited:
It’s possible, though not probable, that Pogacar could outpace JV by 30 seconds on the stage 20 ITT. It’s a longer (40km) ride that has two little climbs at the end. Pogacar will have to beat Van Aert to win the stage and get the 10 second bonus, which is not likely, as Van Aert excels in time trials and is unaffected by short punchy climbs.

So Pogacar needs to knock 90 seconds off Vingegaard’s lead on Thursday to have a prayer at regaining the maillot jaune for Paris. Hard to see Vingegaard cracking at this point.

Pound for pound, grand tour riders--especially the GC guys and their domestiques--are the toughest athletes on the planet. I cannot think of another sport where athletes endure so much suffering for so long. And that's just for one stage. But 3 weeks? with the climbing, the heat, the crashes, getting sick, etc? These guys amaze me.
Yes, these cyclists have to be some of the toughest and most fit around. The only athletes I believe somewhat on the same level of fitness are competitive cross country skiers who also have to deal with terrain and the cold. Maybe someone with physiology background can discuss the layers of fast and slow twitch muscles in the cyclists legs. In my youth I had pretty powerful legs and could ride centuries and even did a double century under 24 hours but paid a price recovering the week after. One event I enjoyed that I think still exists was the Tour of the Scioto River Valley (TOSRV) from Columbus to the Ohio River and back the next day - a century ride each day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT