ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Playoffs

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Fun game between Bama and UGA today. Now you have 3 12-1 teams who can claim to deserve a playoff spot: Texas, who beat Bama; Bama, who beat UGA; and UGA, defending champs. Will be interesting to see what the Committee does. I suspect they will put a current SEC team in rather than a future team, given strength of schedule. Bama gets the nod.

Last edited:
Fun game between Bama and UGA today. Now you have 3 12-1 teams who can claim to deserve a playoff spot: Texas, who beat Bama; Bama, who beat UGA; and UGA, defending champs. Will be interesting to see what the Committee does. I suspect they will put a current SEC team in rather than a future team, given strength of schedule. Mama gets the nod.

Since those back East forget West Coast football exists, they will take all three, add Michigan after they beat Iowa, and snub Washington.

Reactions: NJCat
Not sure how they can justify Georgia getting in (unless Florida State loses). Georgia did not beat an elite team this year. Alabama did.

Texas arguably has a better case than Georgia. They beat Alabama and won their conference.

The oracle at Grapevine Texas is going to wind up with the weakest 4 team field ever, the artificial suppression of Alabama while promoting Oregon and Texas have created an unworkable situation where the two best teams can't be considered for championship participation.

The oracle at Grapevine Texas is going to wind up with the weakest 4 team field ever, the artificial suppression of Alabama while promoting Oregon and Texas have created an unworkable situation where the two best teams can't be considered for championship participation.
Michigan, Washington, FSU and Georgia. Bama and Texas cancel themselves out.

I see the bottleneck between Georgia, Alabama and Texas for the last spot, and even Ohio State in some scenarios, but I do not agree with some prognosticators who have Florida State on the outs. I just do not see any way you can keep an undefeated Power 5 conference champion out of the playoffs (unless they're all undefeated). I agree with Michigan, Washington, Florida State, and Georgia. I think Georgia wins the eye test and wins the tiebreaker as the 1-loss defending champion.

Georgia's only issue is they lost to Alabama and Alabama's only problem is they lost to Texas; which presents a potential logjam that may be headache for the Committee to resolve. That's were Ohio State could step in: With Michigan being bumped to #1, Ohio State's the only blemish on their record is a narrow road loss to the #1 team. Ohio State was still #1 in the Football Power index and #2 in the Sagarin ratings, so it wouldn't be totally implausible to have Ohio State in the Top 4 behind the undefeated conference champions although I'm sure Greg Sankey would have a cow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT