ADVERTISEMENT

OT - RIP Bag your own Whopper

And this photo was from this morning:

IMG_6135_(2).jpg

FWIW the demolition of the 4th Avenue Theatre building has been ongoing now for several months as it is pecked apart by the single piece of heavy equipment.

In the background one sees a tall grey building. Reportedly that will be the first building to be taken down by explosives in the State of Alaska. (Almost the entire block is being rebuilt with a high rise office complex.)

Some added history, information, and personal recollections regarding the "Historic Fourth Avenue Theatre:"

It was started in 1941 as designed by the same architect (B. Marcus Priteca) who designed the iconic Hollywood Theatre of 1929. Construction was halted by World War II and once the war was over it was completed in 1947, before i was born.

The theatre's owner was Anchorage visionary Austin "Cap" Lathrop who saw the potential of Anchorage growing from its population of 3,500 in 1941 to become a major city that could support his elaborate and costly theatre. The building also housed his broadcasting studios. It was not until 1960 that the Penthouse atop the building as evident in my photos and has yet to be demolished was added to the building.

Its art deco features apart from the facade's neon sign, included a mural of then named Mount McKinley in the lobby and elaborate murals on each side of the screen. One of those murals (which depicted Alaska scenes) is visible in the trailer for the movie "Big Miracle." The trailer csn be seen by clicking on the hyperlink in my initial post which reads "Big Miracle." That same trailer includes Drew Barrymore standing on the steps of the original Federal Court House across from the Fourth Avenue Theatre although you will have to watch the movie itself to see the angle that includes the theatre itself as a backdrop for that scene. The afore referenced murals were created by Los Angeles artists Anthony Heinsberger and Frank Bouman. Lighting the ceiling of the theatre were twinkling lights of the Big Dipper constellation and the North Star, heralding the Eight Stars on a Field of Gold and North Star affixed to Alaska's flag. (The history of the flag itself is another story of merit as it came about as the result of a school competition won by a 13 year old orphan boy, Benny Benson, from an orphanage in Seward, Alaska,)

It is also noteworthy that the theatre survived the 9.2 magnitude Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964 and with its reinforced concrete construction is proving a challenge to the wrecking crew at present.

Here are some additional personal recollections:

When you click on the hyperlink "Big Miracle" in the above quoted article in one of my my prior postings, it takes you to the trailer for the movie. If you watch it you will see a clip from the scene that was filmed inside the historic 4th Avenue Theatre. It is where the governor shakes hands with a blue whale mascot. Pause the trailer and take a look at the impressive Art Deco furnishings. The ceiling was noted for having small lights replicating stars to include The Big Dipper of Alaska flag fame. The evident mural demonstrates the wealth of Alaska's resources.

One of the things I recall that was unique to the 4th Avenue Theatre were its spaced out double seats in which you could snuggle up close to your date. (In researching this "history lesson" I learned that the "love seats" were placed at the end of every alternating row.)

The theatre itself has been closed for decades and efforts to save it as an historical treasure failed. It has been 40 years since the last movie was shown there and some 20 years since the theatre was subsequently used as an event venue. I have both watched movies and attended events there. Apart from being opened up as a set location for the filming of "Big Miracle" it has otherwise remained vacant for the past two decades.

The developers and now owners (Derrick Chang and Terence Chang) have promised that they are attempting to save the murals and will also attempt to recreate the iconic 4th Avenue sign itself in some fashion.

Reactions: mountaindrew
I ate at the
Clearly you never had those late night crispy tacos with that mysterious BK sauce… truly the taste kings long for.

The famous Sandwichman and the "Shitshack" were the peddler and venue of choice for late night fine dining back in the day.

I ate at the

The famous Sandwichman and the "Shitshack" were the peddler and venue of choice for late night fine dining back in the day.
I think I posted this before but here it is again. I perfected Sanch's whistle and would blast it out and a few minutes later there would be a group in the lobby wondering where he was. RIP Sanch

I think I posted this before but here it is again. I perfected Sanch's whistle and would blast it out and a few minutes later there would be a group in the lobby wondering where he was. RIP Sanch

I'm glad I wasn't in school when you were, Doc. I woulda been pissed.

Despite living up north for 3 yrs, BK was the to-go place to munch after midnight (even if it meant walking in the cold); on a side note, a fraternity brother's parents owned the Mickey-D's on the other side of the block, but never went.

Despite hearing Sandji's whistle for the same 3 yrs, never got a sandwich (wish had tried it at least once).

Looking back, wish had spent less $$ on booze and more on some of the better eating options in Evanston; only place in Evanston where went regularly aside from BK was Buffalo Joe's (much better, but pricier and got a ride).

Pretty much all my other post-imibing spots were in Chicago (mostly burrito places, but there was also a good gyro place), since would go down to the DePaul bars 1-2 a week, such as Taco-Burrito Palace #2 (which has since moved locations twice).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT