ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Skip the Wildcats tomorrow, join ESPN Gameday in Montana

montana_cat

Aug 31, 2001
Forget about NU vs. Purdue. Turn on your TV and watch the 121st installment of the oldest college football rivalry west of the Mississippi River, Montana vs. Montana State. This year, ESPN Gameday will be broadcasting from Bozeman, site of this year’s game. First time in Montana, and the Treasure State is going bonkers!

As someone on the ESPN crew pointed out, this rivalry is older than Ohio State vs. Michigan, older than the Red River showdown between Texas and Oklahoma … and a lot more.

TV watch parties all over the country, and even at least one international in New Zealand. My wife and I caught the 2021 game at a bar in downtown Salt Lake City.

You might be able to find and join the fun with the help of this site:

Gracies was the SLC place I had in mind. Totally taken over by alums and fans of the Montana schools on game day last year.

Sounds like fun. When it comes to time honored rivalries I'll bet Northwestern had some that qualified - at least until our opponents stopped playing football.

Sad to say but that Bozeman, which I remember and used to frequent, is gone for good. It’s become a haven for the wealthy, some of whom are insufferably snobby. The delightful, funky, cowboy college town of 18,000 people has vanished.

Sad to say but that Bozeman, which I remember and used to frequent, is gone for good. It’s become a haven for the wealthy, some of whom are insufferably snobby. The delightful, funky, cowboy college town of 18,000 people has vanished.
Sounds like Austin on a much smaller scale.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The locals are calling it it Boze-Mangeles because of the influx of Southern Californians. On a serious note, check out the Museum of the Rockies, which is amazing. And go to Livingston to the Livingston Bar and Grill for a beer and a walleye sandwich.

All true. What *real* Montanans, including a fair number of my Bozeman friends, say is that Bozeman is X miles from Montana. Come to Billings instead. Urban renaissance with craft breweries, nationally-rated restaurants, terrific music, etc.

I’m sitting in a sports bar in Billings crowded with MSU alums and fans, including my son and daughter-in-law. They’re jubilant. MSU is bashing UM, 41-7, with a national TV audience watching. I dread the coming influx of Treasure State wannabes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT