ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The road back from COVID -- South Korea baseball

The KBO has started letting fans attend the games now. They allowed 2,500 fans to attend the game in Seoul between Doosan and LG.

The linked video is interesting. Looks like the fans have to wear masks, practice social distancing, and no food or drinks are allowed. They check the temperature of every fan when entering, and scan their QR code for contact tracing purposes. They even use hand sanitizer when they complete the check-in process. It's hard to see the US following these protocols for our sporting events.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/spor...te=1&user_id=e8ba9fb6c44a58500efaab328da94c63

The KBO has started letting fans attend the games now. They allowed 2,500 fans to attend the game in Seoul between Doosan and LG.

The linked video is interesting. Looks like the fans have to wear masks, practice social distancing, and no food or drinks are allowed. They check the temperature of every fan when entering, and scan their QR code for contact tracing purposes. They even use hand sanitizer when they complete the check-in process. It's hard to see the US following these protocols for our sporting events.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/spor...te=1&user_id=e8ba9fb6c44a58500efaab328da94c63
Wonder how those 2,500 fans are chosen? Also why couldn't the U.S. do same?

There was discussion during the Cincinnati Reds' telecast on opening day that there were discussions about a limited number of fans (10,000 or so) possibly later in the season. Then a bunch of guys got sick after one game and I stopped watching out of guilt.

Reactions: Fitz51 and DaCat

The video said the tickets were offered online, first come first served, and sold out in less than an hour.

When you follow rules and respect science and other people, you can have nice things.

Yup! Instead it's a bunch of assholes in leadership positions trying to out politic each other. I hate them all with the fire of a thousand suns

Reactions: Fitz51
I'm no doctor! And I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn. But everything I've seen tells me the only way to defeat COVID 19 is with Herd Immunity! Why? We don't have a vaccine for the common flu that works better than 30-40%! Everytime I've gotten the flu shot,I've gotten sick! I'd be hard pressed to take a Covid 19 shot unless I'm certain I won't get sick from it! Can someone please explain to me what I am missing?

here ya go bucko approx 70% of the population would need to get the virus.... with our population at 331,165,031 231,815,521 would need to get the virus which with the current death rate. best case scenario (40% get the virus) 660,000 people would die,,,,,worst case scenario (95% think measles ) 1.5 million Americans would die to achieve herd immunity.( ..there is also not enough info to know how long immunity lasts and what percent get immunity.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...th/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808
https://www.menshealth.com/health/a33278135/herd-immunity-covid/

here ya go bucko approx 70% of the population would need to get the virus.... with our population at 331,165,031 231,815,521 would need to get the virus which with the current death rate. best case scenario (40% get the virus) 660,000 people would die,,,,,worst case scenario (95% think measles ) 1.5 million Americans would die to achieve herd immunity.( ..there is also not enough info to know how long immunity lasts and what percent get immunity.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...th/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808
Just heard that over 200 people died down in Florida and almost as many died in California! I still don't know the severity of the virus,but I'm doubtful we get a vaccine to eliminate the virus. Admittedly,I'm just reposting what I have seen on the internet.

I find the article you posted fascinating about herd immunity! My passion is to help people with stress reduction. My app allows the user to identify and release stress by treating the true cause of stress. We are likely 10-12 years or more from truly embracing this technology which is available now for free to all human beings in the app store. Our society has to embrace stress,like the virus to contain and moderate it. Meanwhile, we spend hours upon hours in schools on wasted topics where kids tune out anyways.

Cardinals tested positive. Quarantined in a Milwaukee hotel. Game today vs. Brewers canceled.

Good COVID news for college campuses, folks - UT has found the solution. No parties allowed, on or off campus. So long as that policy is 100% observed, it will go a long way to keeping the community safe.

Good COVID news for college campuses, folks - UT has found the solution. No parties allowed, on or off campus. So long as that policy is 100% observed, it will go a long way to keeping the community safe.

No parties? Then what's the use of going to a school like UT? Might as well go somewhere decent to play school.

While MLB looks like it's in danger of canceling its season, the KBO continues to be played in front of fans. A quick look at the stats show that former Cat Eric Jokisch is on track for a career year. He's #3 in ERA with 2.20, has the second most wins at 9-3, and his team the Kiwoom Heroes are in second place. The teams have already played over 70 games each.

#WeCantHaveNiceThings

Just saw that KBO is now allowing up to 25% capacity fans per game to attend in person. Seems they keep their social distance and wear masks in the stands.
"There have been no COVID-19 cases reported from baseball's reopening. "

We can have nice things too if we are just smart about it.

Korean-baseball-increases-fan-capacity-to-25-at-stadiums.jpg

Reactions: Fitz51
I'm friends with Dan Palka and he just signed to play in the KBO. Can't play until the 24th because of mandatory quarantine, but looking forward to what he has to say about everything over there, from the culture to the quality of play. Hitting SK and Japan to take in baseball is on my bucket list

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
While MLB looks like it's in danger of canceling its season, the KBO continues to be played in front of fans. A quick look at the stats show that former Cat Eric Jokisch is on track for a career year. He's #3 in ERA with 2.20, has the second most wins at 9-3, and his team the Kiwoom Heroes are in second place. The teams have already played over 70 games each.

#WeCantHaveNiceThings
How is this possible! Are they all wearing masks?

I'm friends with Dan Palka and he just signed to play in the KBO. Can't play until the 24th because of mandatory quarantine, but looking forward to what he has to say about everything over there, from the culture to the quality of play. Hitting SK and Japan to take in baseball is on my bucket list

I went to a KBO game when I visited South Korea on a business trip several years ago. The atmosphere is nuts, the fans chant non-stop and have a personalized chant for each batter when they come to bat. I bet the players are bummed out with the restricted attendance. The level of play is around Triple A, but several of the top players are MLB level quality.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I went to a KBO game when I visited South Korea on a business trip several years ago. The atmosphere is nuts, the fans chant non-stop and have a personalized chant for each batter when they come to bat. I bet the players are bummed out with the restricted attendance. The level of play is around Triple A, but several of the top players are MLB level quality.

That's what it seems like, super raucous. Japan too. Different style of play but that's what's so great about that sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT