ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Update on the new San Diego State Stadium and campus extension in Mission Valley

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA

Many of you attended the 2018 Northwestern-Utah Holiday Bowl game that was held at the aging former Qualcomm Stadium that was the home for the San Diego Chargers and the Padres. Well times have changed and the old stadium has been demolished now that San Diego State has taken over the site. A new 35,000 seat stadium is now under construction that should be ready for the 2022 season. The Holiday Bowl will return to the new stadium as well. The current conference tie-in is the PAC-12 and the ACC but I fully expect the BigTen to rotate back in as a tie-in sometime in the future. I think San Diego has a lot to offer as a college bowl destination, hopefully the weather will be better the next time the Wildcats return to town. Anyway check out the article about the progress being made at the new site. The stadium is just part of the overall complex now know as the San Diego State West campus which is connected to the main campus by the trolley. The renovated Qualcomm site will include classrooms, dorms, research labs, parks and nature reserve along the San Diego River. The new campus and stadium will be a great addition to San Diego and assist with SDSU’s growth.

Many of you attended the 2018 Northwestern-Utah Holiday Bowl game that was held at the aging former Qualcomm Stadium that was the home for the San Diego Chargers and the Padres. Well times have changed and the old stadium has been demolished now that San Diego State has taken over the site. A new 35,000 seat stadium is now under construction that should be ready for the 2022 season. The Holiday Bowl will return to the new stadium as well. The current conference tie-in is the PAC-12 and the ACC but I fully expect the BigTen to rotate back in as a tie-in sometime in the future. I think San Diego has a lot to offer as a college bowl destination, hopefully the weather will be better the next time the Wildcats return to town. Anyway check out the article about the progress being made at the new site. The stadium is just part of the overall complex now know as the San Diego State West campus which is connected to the main campus by the trolley. The renovated Qualcomm site will include classrooms, dorms, research labs, parks and nature reserve along the San Diego River. The new campus and stadium will be a great addition to San Diego and assist with SDSU’s growth.
Hey maybe NU could do something like that.

Hey maybe NU could do something like that.
Stanford was able to rebuild their stadium in a year, There is a time-lapse video of the demolition and construction of the Cardinal stadium online somewhere. Probably a similar renovation could be done with our stadium as well.

In the case of Qualcomm, the old stadium site was plagued over the years by flooding from the San Diego River nearby in Mission Valley. It was decided to move the new stadium to a new location on the large Mission Valley parcel SDSU acquired from the city. The new location is on slightly higher ground and has been built up to mitigate the flooding issue that periodically inundates Mission Valley, esp. around the time of the Holiday Bowl. The main SDSU campus has maxed out so this new SDSU-campus Extension should provide much needed relief to allow further growth.

My “other” school UC San Diego is now in transition to D1 (no football) and is joining the Big West Conference with other smaller UC schools and Cal State colleges. No confusion arising from multiple San Diego colleges- UCSD, USD and SDSU! 😂

Last edited:
Stanford was able to rebuild their stadium in a year, There is a time-lapse video of the demolition and construction of the Cardinal stadium online somewhere. Probably a similar renovation could be done with our stadium as well.

In the case of Qualcomm, the old stadium site was plagued over the years by flooding from the San Diego River nearby in Mission Valley. It was decided to move the new stadium to a new location on the large Mission Valley parcel SDSU acquired from the city. The new location is on slightly higher ground and has been built up to mitigate the flooding issue that periodically inundates Mission Valley, esp. around the time of the Holiday Bowl. The main SDSU campus has maxed out so this new SDSU-campus Extension should provide much needed relief to allow further growth.

My “other” school UC San Diego is now in transition to D1 (no football) and is joining the Big West Conference with other smaller UC schools and Cal State colleges. No confusion arising from multiple San Diego colleges- UCSD, USD and SDSU! 😂
Stanford’s stadium was a unique situation. Pat Ryan like donor who also happens to be in the construction business.
The entire footprint of the interior bowl was built offsite with much of the external footprint kept. The upper seating was removed permanently, but since it’s a bowl similar to Michigan stadium, it was easier to “level” off the external footprint.

by building offsite the interior was basically installed internally and yet the original stadium interior was gutted.

I’d think we could do this but a lot depends on what we decide to do with the upper deck. The south end zone and the pets of the north end zone that are beyond the end zone sight lines need to be addressed.

Stanford was able to rebuild their stadium in a year, The is a time-lapse video of the demolition and construction of the Cardinal stadium online somewhere. Probably a similar renovation could be done with our stadium as well.
NorCal folks on the board can correct me about this, but Stanford may have had a unique advantage. I was given a brief tour of the new

(Something came up and I had to leave the board, never finishing the above post.)

T Levine describes exactly what I was told about how Stanford's remarkably quick turnaround in stadium reconstruction was done. Doubtful it could be duplicated elsewhere for several reason -- chief among them being Stanford's all-powerful construction mogul (don't recall his name) who reportedly called every shot and cut through any red tape obstacles.

I'm no construction pro but t's realistic to think that NU would have to play elsewhere for a season or more while stadium work would be done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT