ADVERTISEMENT

OT US News rankings (long)

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin

NU is tied at 9 w Johns Hopkins and Caltech.

Comments: (disclaimer - all are based on my s**t memory)

We don't seem to move around a lot. I think we've been between 9-12 as long as I can remember.
Stanford at #6 is only FBS school ahead of us.
Meanwhile, Chicago is tied at #6. They are very high in recent years, but I feel like at one point their undergrad program was an afterthought, perhaps due to the spartan existence bordering on a slum. Anyway, kudos to Milton Friedman U.
Similarly Johns Hopkins, perhaps I didn't notice until 2013 when I moved to Balt, I always thought of it as a medical school and hospital. And a Lacrosse team.
Duke at #12 (looks for middle finger emoji). Wash U at 16 seems to have faded since their strategy to get millions to apply so they could reject a high percentage.

ND 19 Mich 24. Too bad not out of top 25.
UCLA ahead of USC.
Emory at #21. They run me the wrong way - very abrasive.
Several B1G schools between 48-66. Iowa 88. UNL 133.
On a side note, Valpo, which cost me 80k to educate my daughter a while back, used to be regularly in the top 10 of their region of "regional universities" . They are now 160th in national universities, which an enrollment of 3k. Go figure

Interesting comparisons.

Question, didn't USNWR (or is it just US News now?) originally for years just rank simply in numeric order without including ties?

NU is tied at 9 w Johns Hopkins and Caltech.

Comments: (disclaimer - all are based on my s**t memory)

We don't seem to move around a lot. I think we've been between 9-12 as long as I can remember.
Stanford at #6 is only FBS school ahead of us.
Meanwhile, Chicago is tied at #6. They are very high in recent years, but I feel like at one point their undergrad program was an afterthought, perhaps due to the spartan existence bordering on a slum. Anyway, kudos to Milton Friedman U.
Similarly Johns Hopkins, perhaps I didn't notice until 2013 when I moved to Balt, I always thought of it as a medical school and hospital. And a Lacrosse team.
Duke at #12 (looks for middle finger emoji). Wash U at 16 seems to have faded since their strategy to get millions to apply so they could reject a high percentage.

ND 19 Mich 24. Too bad not out of top 25.
UCLA ahead of USC.
Emory at #21. They run me the wrong way - very abrasive.
Several B1G schools between 48-66. Iowa 88. UNL 133.
On a side note, Valpo, which cost me 80k to educate my daughter a while back, used to be regularly in the top 10 of their region of "regional universities" . They are now 160th in national universities, which an enrollment of 3k. Go figure

Have you been to Hyde Park? Far from a slum.

Reactions: Catmosphere
Hyde Park - great architecture (Robie house is in the middle of campus), great open spaces, thriving businesses, museums within walking distance or via a pleasant bike ride. The students socialize may socialize in a more muted and/or eccentric manner than at NU, but that's okay. What's not to like?

Hyde Park - great architecture (Robie house is in the middle of campus), great open spaces, thriving businesses, museums within walking distance or via a pleasant bike ride. The students socialize may socialize in a more muted and/or eccentric manner than at NU, but that's okay. What's not to like?

My colleague, a U of C alum, told me these self-deprecating slogans they had in Hyde Park.

U of C dating. Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

U of C. Where the men all look like Woody Allen (and so do the women).

U of C. Where the squirrels are cuter than the girls and more aggressive than the guys.

My colleague, a U of C alum, told me these self-deprecating slogans they had in Hyde Park.

U of C. Where the squirrels are cuter than the girls and more aggressive than the guys.

Hilarious. Your friend must be quite a comedian.

Reactions: drewjin
Don't get the "slum" comments about U of C. It's a much nicer section of town than USC is in and I'd never describe USC as being in a slum. I get that city life isn't for everybody, but an actual "slum" is shockingly and obviously different than those locations.
Have you been to Hyde Park? Far from a slum.

I should have defined "at one point" more precisely as, "in previous times" . I don't pretend to be an expert on S Chicago neighborhoods or any more recent gentrification, but, as I understand it, Hyde Park was/is a lovely neighborhood abutting a high crime area.
It's always refreshing to see one stray comment beat into a bloody pulp at the expense of the rest of the post. Just like any other day on the internet

I should have defined "at one point" more precisely as, "in previous times" . I don't pretend to be an expert on S Chicago neighborhoods or any more recent gentrification, but, as I understand it, Hyde Park was/is a lovely neighborhood abutting a high crime area.
It's always refreshing to see one stray comment beat into a bloody pulp at the expense of the rest of the post. Just like any other day on the internet

My apologies that you typed something inane. I should have mentioned that your insights on UCLA and USC were top notch.👍

Last edited:
My Graduate Alma Mater, Penn, still ahead of NU. I do not see this order changing much in the next decade, this is NU's spot for the forseeable future.

So, if Fitz can keep football in or near the top ten, that is one heck of a recruiting vehicle for NU.

Reactions: SiameseCat
My Graduate Alma Mater, Penn, still ahead of NU. I do not see this order changing much in the next decade, this is NU's spot for the forseeable future.

So, if Fitz can keep football in or near the top ten, that is one heck of a recruiting vehicle for NU.
NU never used to be ranked ahead of Dook, but here we are.

I'm a bit surprised to see us tied with Caltech. There are some pretty smart people at Caltech.

Actually, the one that caught my eye was Ohio State tied with Purdue at 53rd and ahead of PSU at 63rd. People like to poke fun at OSU academics but that's a pretty darn good school according to these rankings. For that matter, most of the B1G are top notch academic schools

Yep, one spot behind Penn and well ahead of other Ivies like Dartmouth, Brown and Cornell. Quite an achievement for a school with a Power 5 Division I football team.

Actually, the one that caught my eye was Ohio State tied with Purdue at 53rd and ahead of PSU at 63rd. People like to poke fun at OSU academics but that's a pretty darn good school according to these rankings. For that matter, most of the B1G are top notch academic schools
They are pretty much all top 100 schools except for UNL. Ohio State has an amazing Cancer Center and top notch research. While NU and maybe Michigan have name recognition for being elite academic institutions, really pretty much the whole BIG is going to get you places.

My U of C daughter says she can tell if a U of C guy is flirting if he looks at her shoes when he is talking.

My dad went to Columbia. Many of my friends went to Columbia. Someone in a social organization I am active in taught there for many decades. I have nothing against it on some personal level. All that said, boy oh boy does New York City "dominate" the school. I bet there are people who live three subway stops away who don't even know it is there. If you are an international student who want to live in NY, but not permanently, just to "kinda" be there, now that would work well. Best of both worlds.

But most people, at least in my opinion, would probably bet happier in a place where the school dominates the surroundings like a Dartmouth or Princeton type place. Even Northwestern, which "dominates" Evanston or at least can be said to have a great presence in Evanston. At NU I knew quite a few people who never went to Chicago unless they absolutely had to. Not possible at Columbia. This does not apply to massive big city schools like Minnesota for example. They are too big to just fade into the landscape. So is UCLA, UWashington in Seattle, etc. Schools that are similar to Columbia off the top of my head would be N YU (obviously), Rice, Georgia Tech, and Vanderbilt. UPenn seems to be a big enough presence in its part of town, so I wouldn't count them. Don't know enough about USC or Miami.

Wash U at 16 seems to have faded since their strategy to get millions to apply so they could reject a high percentage.

That was part of UoC's strategy as well which largely fueled its rise in the rankings (albeit, they do have the research background to be up there with Columbia, the Ivy most like UoC).

Isn't this the same ranking that's been out since last year?

My dad went to Columbia. Many of my friends went to Columbia. Someone in a social organization I am active in taught there for many decades. I have nothing against it on some personal level. All that said, boy oh boy does New York City "dominate" the school. I bet there are people who live three subway stops away who don't even know it is there. If you are an international student who want to live in NY, but not permanently, just to "kinda" be there, now that would work well. Best of both worlds.

But most people, at least in my opinion, would probably bet happier in a place where the school dominates the surroundings like a Dartmouth or Princeton type place. Even Northwestern, which "dominates" Evanston or at least can be said to have a great presence in Evanston. At NU I knew quite a few people who never went to Chicago unless they absolutely had to. Not possible at Columbia. This does not apply to massive big city schools like Minnesota for example. They are too big to just fade into the landscape. So is UCLA, UWashington in Seattle, etc. Schools that are similar to Columbia off the top of my head would be N YU (obviously), Rice, Georgia Tech, and Vanderbilt. UPenn seems to be a big enough presence in its part of town, so I wouldn't count them. Don't know enough about USC or Miami.
Nothing wrong with cities.

A school's USNews ranking is not a reliable indicator of the academic ethic and values within their athletic programs.

That was part of UoC's strategy as well which largely fueled its rise in the rankings (albeit, they do have the research background to be up there with Columbia, the Ivy most like UoC).

Isn't this the same ranking that's been out since last year?
Not exactly. Until very recently the U of C was not part of the ‘common app’, where a kid applies with a keystroke and the applications come a-floodin‘ in. Before then, applying to the U of C was laborious. My kid pored over her essays for days. A pity, in a way, because the U of C has fewer unicorns these days...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT