ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Victor Wembanyama is very tall, and very good.

As a native Portlander, I can say that the Blazers were really hyper-focused on the idea of a center at the time, because they thought it was what they were missing to make a run at the Lakers. Jim Paxson was 2nd team all-NBA as a SG in ‘84 and was still pretty young. Drexler was a young bench piece with promise. They traded for Kiki Vandeweghe, who was an elite scorer, a couple weeks before the draft. They saw Mychal Thompson as a better PF than C. They won 48 games in ‘84 so they believed they were close to contending. Bowie filled a need. I believe if they had a bad team they would’ve been more likely to draft Jordan and build around him and Drexler. They ended up slipping back to about a .500 team for a couple years before the core of their two teams that went to the finals came together in the late ‘80s.

Bowie’s injury history was a huge red flag but they took the risk. They were frustrated about not getting Olajuwon and instead of rethinking the strategy they plowed ahead with Bowie.
Agree with all of this. Mike was the better player with more potential during the draft. Sam had missed 2 full college seasons and even if he panned out there were going to be better centers in the league ( Kareem, Akeem, Mosses, Ewing etc). My point was Mike was a better player, had more upside, and did not have the monstrous injury risk. If the Trailblazers were only focused on Center, they should have traded for Sikma or someone if that ilk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT