ADVERTISEMENT

OT: XFL to return in 2020

What the subject line reads...one additional career path for FB Wildcats who may want to keep alive their dream of eventually making an NFL roster...hope it'll work this time.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020
I freely admit it. I enjoyed the XFL. There were some hokey things (the weird wrestling match instead of the coin toss) and there were some good things (all kicked balls live - even punts). The quality of play was not much but since I am not a huge baseball fan, it gave me sports to watch during the long unending summer as we waited for Fall.

I am looking forward to its return.

And who is the Governor of Minnesota now? They might be needing some announcers.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Seems like a bizarre time to try and start a new football league. Currently the sport is in a slow death spiral.
Unless he simply plans to deny all the concussion and injury statistics and bill it as "football the way it was meant to be played" or some sort of crap. That is a pretty popular strategy right now.
Also look how popular the MMA is. If those guys aren't half brain dead before their careers are over, I'd be amazed. Can you imagine the problems hey will have when they are in their late 40's.

Too many gimmicks.. That said I think a second league could succeed with the USFL springtime model.

\Also look how popular the MMA is. If those guys aren't half brain dead before their careers are over, I'd be amazed. Can you imagine the problems hey will have when they are in their late 40's.

Boxing is actually worse than MMA. Boxing is essentially standing and banging for round after round. MMA involves at lot of wrestling/submissions and matches are shorter.

Boxing is actually worse than MMA. Boxing is essentially standing and banging for round after round. MMA involves at lot of wrestling/submissions and matches are shorter.
Any idea about how many hits they take in preparation? Boxing could be worse there too I suppose.

Seems like a bizarre time to try and start a new football league. Currently the sport is in a slow death spiral.
Well, it depends on how you look at it...They are saying they will try to figure out what is affecting the NFL, and precisely try to address those issues...sort of a glass-half-full glass-half-empty thing....They have already listed a number of things that they are considering which they hope will make their game more attractive to the fan...of course, the NFL will be head-and-shoulders ahead in terms of the athletic skills of their individual players...but in terms of ENTERTAINMENT value, perhaps the XFL might come close...

Heck, remember that the average XFL player will likely be a former STAR at the college level...not quite an NFL-level star, but probably a star nonetheless...just think about the many NU and B1G darn good players who never made an NFL roster, and many more who just made one briefly....players like those could be an excellent foundation for an alternate FB league...Heck lots of people get excited about COLLEGE-level FB, and they aren't necessarily alumns of the school they follow...many are even passionate HS FB fans....some of those could definitely become passionate about a team made up of former college stars even if they just weren't NFL-level stars.

I’d rather see a professional rugby 7s league
Living overseas I became a huge fan of rugby. Having a legitimate rugby league that played in the spring or summer would be an excellent way to bridge the non-football gaps of the year. However, there would be no name recognition from college and no guaranteed fans for popular college players.

In the past, I have also worried about football-trained players transitioning to rugby. Helmeted versus non-helmeted tackling styles are very different. However, in the modern era of changing tackling methods to reduce head trauma, the difference might be less and the transition might be easier. The rugby kicking game would suffer at the hands of Americans that were not trained in it.

Living overseas I became a huge fan of rugby. Having a legitimate rugby league that played in the spring or summer would be an excellent way to bridge the non-football gaps of the year. However, there would be no name recognition from college and no guaranteed fans for popular college players.

In the past, I have also worried about football-trained players transitioning to rugby. Helmeted versus non-helmeted tackling styles are very different. However, in the modern era of changing tackling methods to reduce head trauma, the difference might be less and the transition might be easier. The rugby kicking game would suffer at the hands of Americans that were not trained in it.
One thing that might make the American football safer is to take away the helmets. Ok, that what happen but how about going back to leather helmets and no face guards? That would go a ways to eliminating the head hunting tackles and see tackling techniques like practiced in rugby.

Indeed! Rugby is a great sport, but we Yankees have no idea how to play it. I played a season at NU, ripped up my shoulder, and then returned to playing a few years later when I lived in Budapest (I was "Hungary Jack" on another board). I soon learned that the guys I played with in Hungary--expats from England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia--were so much more steeped in the game than this oafish, bumbling, football-inebriated American lout. I tried to compensate for my lack of understanding of game strategy and tactics by working my tail off, but that's not the essence of the sport.

When I describe rugby today, I say "imagine soccer, but you get to use your hands, and you cannot pass forward." Rugby is a game of field position and ball possession, with teams often trading one for another. Rugby "plays" are designed to create mismatches of numbers between offense and defense. Most of this occurs on the edges. where speed and agility matter. But every so often, the pack--the big guys whose job it is to push and shove and get the ball (that was job description)-can mount a run down the field with bursts of powerful effort, short passes, and ball movement. This can look like a stampede of wildebeests to the uninitiated, or to whomever poor louts are trying to stop it.

But Americans have the athleticism to excel in rugby if we had a development program that started early. It's just not popular enough. We are a better fit for rugby 7s, where sheer athleticism matters much more.

I am fairly convinced that rugby is much, much safer than football. Is rugby safer? Or course not, but in rugby tackling is generally less a game of "smear the queer" and wiping out the play and more an act of slowing down the opposition and trying to control the ball. And with rugby, the absence of blocking greatly reduces the number of individual collisions that occur on each play. The absence of protective, hard shelled equipment is a big advantage too.

Rugby is a higher form of football.

we Yankees
No. You can call me a lot of things. But I will never answer to "Yankee." The Brits on occasion refer to me as a "Yank" which I tolerate... barely. But "Yankee"? No how. No way.:mad:

Rugby is a higher form of football.
Rugby is a different and extremely interesting and entertaining game. "Higher" as in superior? Not to me. Just different.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Football is for Neanderthal types like Glades and MRCat. Rugby is for thinking men!

(runs off behind the curtain).
I don't think I have ever had a discussion with a European rugby lover about football in which they did not at some point mention how incredibly complicated football is. They also complain about the stoppages of play and tell me that play never stops in rugby. Then, while watching a rugby game with them, I mention to them whenever play is stopped by the referee or the ball going into touch. After I have pointed out the fiftieth or so play stoppage, they yell for me to shut up I have made my point. The difference is that in football, the play stoppages are organized and we can go get a drink from the fridge.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT