ADVERTISEMENT

OU In Big Ten?

Would you want Oklahoma in the Big Ten?

• Total voters
https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/oklahoma-sooners-big-ten-conference-realignment

Interesting idea to think about Oklahoma joining the Big Ten (with presumably Texas or KU). Would be great for athletics (FB and BB), but surely the lack of Association of American Universities membership would pose some obstacles. Thoughts?
I hate conference realignment theorycrafting.

They're not a good fit academically, they're not a good fit geographically, and they're not a big TV market. I'm not going to Norman to watch a football or basketball game, and I don't want to invite another Buttgers (KU) just to try and woo the pretty girl in the room (Texas). Dumb dumb dumb.

UNL is no longer a member of The AAU. I still beleive the conference will be comprised of 16 universities. Geographically the best fits are Iowa State, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Kansas, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame. The former not a current AAU member.

I've been under the impression that expansion is dead, but I also imagine the Longhorn Network could be shuttered at any time and that the Big 12 could return to chaos.

That said, the best untapped contiguous-ish metro area is Atlanta. Georgia Tech is a clear second fiddle to UGA (and, depending on the year, you see as many Auburn, Tennessee, FSU, Alabama flags as you do Ga Tech), and the SEC is well behind the ACC, and perhaps GT would be willing to make a move.

Then you'd look for a south or south-ish transfer partner. My preference would be Louisville for the geography, though UNC and Wake are better fits. Screw Duke.

Of course, the ACC recently put up tremendous barriers to leaving, so this won't happen.

Cincinnati is gross.

UNL is no longer a member of The AAU. I still beleive the conference will be comprised of 16 universities. Geographically the best fits are Iowa State, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Kansas, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame. The former not a current AAU member.

Geographic fits are actually drawbacks these days. Power conference like to expand into new territories/markets.

OU is a strong national brand on the level of Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska, and a better cultural and athletic fit with more of the conference than Rutgers or Maryland.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
OU is a strong national brand on the level of Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska, and a better cultural and athletic fit with more of the conference than Rutgers or Maryland.

Yeah, agree. After the Rutgers and Maryland debacle, we have to go big if we expand again.

OU and Texas or bust. Only other school I'd consider is Notre Shame. Maybe Florida.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I think we need to be consistent with who we are. ND, much as I don't like them, fit. Vanderbilt fits. Pitt fits. The others don't. OU is like another Nebraska with no upside.

Reactions: NUCat320 and Bwm57
Geographic fits are actually drawbacks these days. Power conference like to expand into new territories/markets.
Geography fits are great to reduce travel costs and hassles (especially for non-revenue sports) and not just thinking of the schools but also of students/fans. The problem comes when the new school is within a market already "covered" by another conference partner. In that case, the conference may prefer a different nearby school that is outside the current footprint (but still relatively near).
That said, geography is ONLY ONE factor to be considered. Obviously a school like Texas would be far more attractive than (say) KSU, regardless of distance.

OU is like another Nebraska with no upside.
I'd say even worse. Their academic profile is almost certainly weaker (don't think they've ever been members of AAU, for example), and are in a different region, without adding a major TV market. If OU was to leave the B12 it would almost certainly follow A&M path into the SEC. It'd seem an even better fit for the SEC than A&M was/is. The duo UTx + A&M would be great for the B1G, but there are no signs it will happen in the foreseeable future.

I think we need to be consistent with who we are. ND, much as I don't like them, fit. Vanderbilt fits. Pitt fits. The others don't. OU is like another Nebraska with no upside.
How about Miami, Fla.? Another private school and then adding Georgia Tech, opens up the south to the Big Ten. TV and recruiting market!

Oklahoma fans have all the pomp of Nebraska fans without the friendliness. (Nebraska fans are friendly.) It's really insufferable. I do not EVER want to interact with them if I can help it; please keep them out of our conference.

But adding them does not really add population to the footprint of the BIG. Thus little to BTN revenues. MD and RUT added major populations that significantly added to BTN revenues.

Reading the fan comments in the articles, it's amazing to me how many assume that Kansas would be part of the equation of an OU switch to the Big Ten. Why on earth would the B1G ever want Kansas? Yea yea, they're a basketball brand. Fine. But in terms of the straight up $$ benefit, I'd be stunned if the economics prove out.

MD and RUT added major populations that significantly added to BTN revenues.
Or at least have a significant potential of doing so, in the near future (it it hasn't yet happened). Not to mention that both Rutgers and Maryland have a significantly stronger academic profile than OU does.

Reading the fan comments in the articles, it's amazing to me how many assume that Kansas would be part of the equation of an OU switch to the Big Ten. Why on earth would the B1G ever want Kansas? Yea yea, they're a basketball brand.
Recent B1G additions completely prove that BkB is a very minor factor in expansion decisions.
Exhibit 1: PSU.
Exhibit 2: Nebby.
Exhibit 3: Rutgers.
Of recent B1G additions, only Maryland has significant bkb tradition, and is far from powerhouse status in that sport. So, that wasn't the reason for their invite (although it didn't hurt, obviously).

The Cats own Oklahoma (undefeated against them since WW2) so let them join. 3-0 with average score of 29-5 (1959, 1960, 1997).Heck, the Sooners only managed a field goal in the last two meetings combined.

Reading the fan comments in the articles, it's amazing to me how many assume that Kansas would be part of the equation of an OU switch to the Big Ten. Why on earth would the B1G ever want Kansas? Yea yea, they're a basketball brand. Fine. But in terms of the straight up $$ benefit, I'd be stunned if the economics prove out.

Basketball. And firms up Nebraska a bit, as they wouldn't be out "on an island" anymore.

Basketball. And firms up Nebraska a bit, as they wouldn't be out "on an island" anymore.
Kansas is an AAU school and does bring in the Kansas City market. I'm not sure I want any of them but after Texas, KU at least fits more than the rest.

But adding them does not really add population to the footprint of the BIG. Thus little to BTN revenues. MD and RUT added major populations that significantly added to BTN revenues.

Not with cord-cutting. Fewer people will pay basic cable prices for channels they won't watch. OU is a far better content play, one that would make our third- and fourth-string games really strong nationally.

I would take OU, Texas, Kansas, ND or heck Vanderbilt but it must be in reaction to letting Rutgers go....I am telling you for all the good Delaney did for the B1G he should be feeling intense heat for the Rutgers / Maryland debacle. They have not paid off for the amount of money the B1G is dividing up for their joining the conference. I have no problem with Maryland as a whole but they did not give the B1G network subscribers the jolt the conference was hoping for. But Rutgers adds absolutely nothing to this conference (the rating prove it beyond a reasonable doubt) and it has been an embarrassment on but more importantly off the field / court

Last edited:
Nebby is not in an island in the B1G, since NE has a border (and strong rivalry) with IOA. Minny is almost (not quite) adjacent to NE.
As discussed above, all the recent actual additions to B1G prove that bkb matters very little in expansion decisions (PSU, Nebby, Rucky come to mind).

Not with cord-cutting. Fewer people will pay basic cable prices for channels they won't watch. OU is a far better content play.
Even if that was true today (not saying it is or sin't), there'd be zero guarantee that it would be true well into the future. Both RU and MD as undisputed SINGLE flagships of relatively highly populated states (which aren't particularly poor) and adjacent to major metropolitan areas (NYC and DC, resp.) have the necessary tools to become at least solid revenue-sports programs (if not powers). Geography does matter. Today, a PSU-OU game may be far more attractive in the NY/NJ/CT area than a PSU-RU would. But the operating word is TODAY. If RU becomes a solid program (capable of beating the likes of a good PSU team any day), geography would make the PSU-RU at least as attractive (probably more so) than the other (in thementioned region). RU should become at least solid enough for that, in the near future.

God, isn't Rutgers terrible. Why, Jim? You wanted the Turtle and DC, fine. But Rutgers and VD?

T

I would take OU, Texas, Kansas, ND or heck Vanderbilt but it must be in reaction to letting Rutgers go....I am telling you for all the good Delaney did for the B1G he should be feeling intense heat for the Rutgers / Maryland debacle. They have not paid off for the amount of money the B1G is dividing up for their joining the conference. I have no problem with Maryland as a whole but they did not give the B1G network subscribers the jolt the conference was hoping for. But Rutgers adds absolutely nothing to this conference (the rating prove it beyond a reasonable doubt) and it has been an embarrassment on but more importantly off the field / court
First the Big Ten is not letting go of Rutgers. It all has to do with the TV market, just as adding Oklahoma and Kansas come along only if Texas does as well. I still advocate for going into the South, Georgia Tech, Miami Fla. which bring in the Atlanta and South Florida cable subscribers. I would also be ok with Vanderbilt but not sure what the Nashville area brings and South Bend adds zero and besides I can't stand TSISB fan base.

Yeah, agree. After the Rutgers and Maryland debacle, we have to go big if we expand again.

OU and Texas or bust. Only other school I'd consider is Notre Shame. Maybe Florida.

Maryland is one of the conference's best in both men's and women's basketball, is very competitive in several other sports, and appears to be on the brink of making strides in football. I'd hardly consider the Terps a debacle.

Maryland is one of the conference's best in both men's and women's basketball, is very competitive in several other sports, and appears to be on the brink of making strides in football. I'd hardly consider the Terps a debacle.

I do not htink anyone disagrees with Maryland being competitive. I think the debacle is refers to Rutgers' embarrassment and the whole financial windfall did not occur. Even though the additions brought in revenue from new Big Ten network subscribers out East the payout to the 2 additional schools has been less in pocket money for the other 12 members since they have to split even more.

I do not htink anyone disagrees with Maryland being competitive. I think the debacle is refers to Rutgers' embarrassment and the whole financial windfall did not occur. Even though the additions brought in revenue from new Big Ten network subscribers out East the payout to the 2 additional schools has been less in pocket money for the other 12 members since they have to split even more.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Conference newcomers don't get a full share of the revenue for a six-year "transition period." Instead they get a much lower, formula-determined share. As discussed in the article linked below, Rutgers and Maryland won't start receiving a full share until after the most recent multi-billion dollar media deals take effect.

https://www.nj.com/articles/18823810/espn_and_fox_sports_to_reportedly_pay_big_ten_264.amp

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Conference newcomers don't get a full share of the revenue for a six-year "transition period." Instead they get a much lower, formula-determined share. As discussed in the article linked below, Rutgers and Maryland won't start receiving a full share until after the most recent multi-billion dollar media deals take effect.

https://www.nj.com/articles/18823810/espn_and_fox_sports_to_reportedly_pay_big_ten_264.amp
True dat but do not forget the $50 million exit fee Maryland had to pay the ACC in which was picked up by the B1G

True dat but do not forget the $50 million exit fee Maryland had to pay the ACC in which was picked up by the B1G

More #FactProblems... it was settled at $31.4MM not $50MM (the actual amount the ACC wanted was $52.2MM), Maryland didn't have to make any actual payment because that amount had already been withheld by the ACC, and I've seen nothing indicating that that amount was in any way "picked up by the B1G:"

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2014...ent-a-game-changer-for-power-five-conferences

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-lawsuits-buyout-big-ten-conference/13781545/

https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/08/maryland-acc-lawsuit-update

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...and-terrapins-settle-legal-dispute-31-million

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT