ADVERTISEMENT

OU In Big Ten?

Would you want Oklahoma in the Big Ten?

• Total voters
Geez, enough with the conference expansion. Pretty soon the Big Ten will have 32 teams and go coast to coast and have an 8 team football playoff to determine the conference title. Where does it stop?

Geez, enough with the conference expansion. Pretty soon the Big Ten will have 32 teams and go coast to coast and have an 8 team football playoff to determine the conference title. Where does it stop?
After Georgia Tech, Miami, Fla., Vanderbilt and Texas come on board. Then, they can work on Virginia, Syracuse, Kansas and Texas A&M. If there is still room, maybe Missouri, Memphis, Tulane and even Duke. Did I forget someone? Oh yes, TSISB. There are many reasons for that.

But adding them does not really add population to the footprint of the BIG. Thus little to BTN revenues. MD and RUT added major populations that significantly added to BTN revenues.

My guess is there are more people who follow Sooner football than Maryland and Rutgers combined.

I do not htink anyone disagrees with Maryland being competitive. I think the debacle is refers to Rutgers' embarrassment and the whole financial windfall did not occur.
First, why are you using the simple past tense (implying that something did or didn't happen), as opposed to the present perfect (implying that something HAS NOT YET happened)?

Last I checked, Rutgers has played a grand total of three (3) B1G FB seasons. Far too little to evaluate whether or not their joining was a good or bad decision.

Also, last I checked, in one of their only three (3) B1G seasons, Rutgers finished 8-5 (3-5) and did something that certain B1G member has historically had major problems to do: not only play in a decent bowl game but actually win it. Yes, that season (1 of 3 in the B1G) Rutgers beat a major conf team (NC to be exact) in a bowl game.

Yes, they have done much worse in their remaining two (2) B1G seasons. That basically means they've gone 1 for 3 (in terms of successful seasons, not win %) which is FAR from indicative of a 'debacle, if nothing else b/c it covers far too few seasons.

The best part of the RU addition is that (unlike others) as the flagship and ONLY major conference team of a relatively highly populated state, and being physically located in the outskirts of the nation's greatest metropolitan area, they DO have plenty of reasons to expect success. No reason at all why they couldn't (at least) be an IOA-type program that is competitive most years, and once in a while puts together a "magical" season, in which it contends for the conference title, and even gets mentioned as a a NC candidate. If IOA (as well as the likes of KSU, Minny, etc) can do it, no reason at all why RU could't. RU actually has far more to offer to top student athletes (especially to those from their own state and region).

First, why are you using the simple past tense (implying that something did or didn't happen), as opposed to the present perfect (implying that something HAS NOT YET happened)?

Last I checked, Rutgers has played a grand total of three (3) B1G FB seasons. Far too little to evaluate whether or not their joining was a good or bad decision.

Also, last I checked, in one of their only three (3) B1G seasons, Rutgers finished 8-5 (3-5) and did something that certain B1G member has historically had major problems to do: not only play in a decent bowl game but actually win it. Yes, that season (1 of 3 in the B1G) Rutgers beat a major conf team (NC to be exact) in a bowl game.

Yes, they have done much worse in their remaining two (2) B1G seasons. That basically means they've gone 1 for 3 (in terms of successful seasons, not win %) which is FAR from indicative of a 'debacle, if nothing else b/c it covers far too few seasons.

The best part of the RU addition is that (unlike others) as the flagship and ONLY major conference team of a relatively highly populated state, and being physically located in the outskirts of the nation's greatest metropolitan area, they DO have plenty of reasons to expect success. No reason at all why they couldn't (at least) be an IOA-type program that is competitive most years, and once in a while puts together a "magical" season, in which it contends for the conference title, and even gets mentioned as a a NC candidate. If IOA (as well as the likes of KSU, Minny, etc) can do it, no reason at all why RU could't. RU actually has far more to offer to top student athletes (especially to those from their own state and region).

Relax, i do not even have time to read your post. I think the Rutgers decision sux, been to their campus numerous times and nothing will change my mind. People in the business thought the B1G outsmarted themselves on that one. The ACC, SEC, Big 12 were not in a bidding war to add Rutgers and that is a fact. No problem with Maryland, but Delaney saw the Tri-State area and Rutgers as the way to get in. Plus all the off the field issues have been an embarrassment.

My guess is there are more people who follow Sooner football than Maryland and Rutgers combined.
Even if true today (may or may not be the case), who the heck knows the status even a few years (not to say a couple of decades) from today? Expansion decisions are made thinking of the long term. Yes, occasionally a new member is immediately competitive. But most important is the long term prognosis.

Anyway, how many expected even in the early 90's that NU would go on to win multiple B1G championships within a relatively short period of time? For all we know, RU will have their magical B1G season(s) a few seasons from now. See also THIS POST above.

Relax, i do not even have time to read your post. I think the Rutgers decision sux, been to their campus numerous times and nothing will change my mind. People in the business thought the B1G outsmarted themselves on that one. The ACC, SEC, Big 12 were not in a bidding war to add Rutgers and that is a fact. No problem with Maryland, but Delaney saw the Tri-State area and Rutgers as the way to get in. Plus all the off the field issues have been an embarrassment.

Missing on TAMU and Mizzou was a mistake.

But adding them does not really add population to the footprint of the BIG. Thus little to BTN revenues. MD and RUT added major populations that significantly added to BTN revenues.

The two largest TV markets added via OU would be OKC (45) and Tulsa (58).
The OKC metro area is about 1.4 million people strong and Tulsa falls right around a million.

Expanding into the southeast probably makes more sense, but Oklahoma would at least get you into the sunbelt. While it's true several rustbelt cities are experiencing a bit of renewal, overall population growth is trending southward.

Another consideration in conference expansion is the potential breakdown of the cable tier method of distribution. That would throw a monkey into any plans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT