ADVERTISEMENT

PBJ Dislocates Ankle

Hate to see that. Looking forward to watching him play next year, wherever that may be (and still hoping it's here).

Hate to see that. Looking forward to watching him play next year, wherever that may be (and still hoping it's here).

Not entirely sure you’re going to see him playing anywhere next year in a worst-case scenario. Ankles are a big deal for hoopers.

I'm sorry to say this, but I also wonder if there's a reality to this that might put NU back in the hunt.

a) Teams back off of him because of the injury. He will still have numerous choices, but I could see Duke moving along without an injured recruit.
b) The kid puts more value into education because the injury demonstrates the NBA is not automatic.

Of course, the offer from his Dad will always be there.

All of this is cheap online speculation. It's probably pie in the sky for NU. But he wouldn't the first kid who ended up at NU after a high school injury.

For his sake, I hope he's on a court and happy next year at this time somewhere.

I'm sorry to say this, but I also wonder if there's a reality to this that might put NU back in the hunt.

a) Teams back off of him because of the injury. He will still have numerous choices, but I could see Duke moving along without an injured recruit.
b) The kid puts more value into education because the injury demonstrates the NBA is not automatic.

All of this is cheap online speculation. It's probably pie in the sky for NU. But he wouldn't the first kid who ended up at NU after a high school injury.

For his sake, I hope he's on a court and happy next year at this time somewhere.
Good post. Agree on all counts.

Reactions: Inovacat

My mind wandered to the exact same place.

Guess we’ll see.

He’s good enough that the Dukes of the world would take him to rehab/redshirt.

He’s good enough that the Dukes of the world would take him to rehab/redshirt.
I mean, he’s headed to the league after his mandatory one year wait after high school. So if it’s a rehab year, he’s probably not doing it at a college campus anyway.

Reactions: DkeCat
I mean, he’s headed to the league after his mandatory one year wait after high school. So if it’s a rehab year, he’s probably not doing it at a college campus anyway.

While still possible, NBA teams might want to see him on the floor for a bit after such a significant ankle injury.

While still possible, NBA teams might want to see him on the floor for a bit after such a significant ankle injury.
Yeah definitely. In that scenario he might slip down a few spots. But I think historically in this situation most players and agents view delaying the start of a career as too costly and NBA teams have typically been willing to take a guy in the top 10 (which would be a bit of a slide if he’s projected to potentially go Top 3).

Michael Porter Jr comes to mind. Missed nearly his entire season at Mizzou and definitely hurt his draft stock. If he’d gone back for another year of college he could’ve been drafted top 3, but he ultimately opted to be a lower pick (but still in the lottery with guaranteed contract etc) and get paid to rehab and develop. He’s really started to come on for the Nuggets and it looks like they got him at a great “discount”.

I don't see how or why he goes to college at this point. Now more than ever he knows how quickly this can all slip away with an injury. He had enough hype that he's going to be a first round pick with just a rehab year. From everything I read about him and his family he seems like the type that really would go back and get his degree if things don't work out in the League.

Reactions: Vassar69
Too skinny for professional ball right now

Are we sure it’s a devastating injury? I cover a team out of Milwaukee and one of my colleagues is a coach in their conference. He didn’t seem to think or know that it would be season ending. He didn’t have a ton of info but when we talked about it and I said how serious it sounded he seemed very surprised.

Are we sure it’s a devastating injury? I cover a team out of Milwaukee and one of my colleagues is a coach in their conference. He didn’t seem to think or know that it would be season ending. He didn’t have a ton of info but when we talked about it and I said how serious it sounded he seemed very surprised.

A dislocated ankle is usually a very big deal.

Reactions: mikero3
An isolated dislocation of the ankle is rare-fracture/dislocations are very common. I am not sure I ever saw an isolated dislocation but2 years ago Tony Finau clearly dislocated his ankle in the Master's annual Par 3 contest, he visibly reduced it on TV and actually played all 4 rounds of the Masters. I am not sure how he did that

Reactions: lunker35
An isolated dislocation of the ankle is rare-fracture/dislocations are very common. I am not sure I ever saw an isolated dislocation but2 years ago Tony Finau clearly dislocated his ankle in the Master's annual Par 3 contest, he visibly reduced it on TV and actually played all 4 rounds of the Masters. I am not sure how he did that

I think the physical demands, particularly on the feet, are just a tad more for basketball vs. golf.

I think the physical demands, particularly on the feet, are just a tad more for basketball vs. golf.
EC-waking is a miracle after tearing mu;ltiple ligaments, allowing the talus to escape the ankle mortise

I don't see how or why he goes to college at this point. Now more than ever he knows how quickly this can all slip away with an injury. He had enough hype that he's going to be a first round pick with just a rehab year. From everything I read about him and his family he seems like the type that really would go back and get his degree if things don't work out in the League.
Point further reinforced by the events at the FL/FSU game.

The one injury that maybe the worst for athletes is an Achilles tendon tear. I am not sure i have ever seen a player in any contact sport comeback the same...ever. I am sure there is one somewhere, but that injury sucks.

The one injury that maybe the worst for athletes is an Achilles tendon tear. I am not sure i have ever seen a player in any contact sport comeback the same...ever. I am sure there is one somewhere, but that injury sucks.
Durant looked pretty damn good in his first game back last night.

Kobe

he should be reminded that NU has better medical school and hospitals then Wis.-Milw.!

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

Kobe wasn't the same when he cameback from that injury. Heck the most games he played after his comeback was 66 and only averaged 17pts. In another year he averaged 22 but only played 35.

I know some of his injury issues could be attributed to age, but he wasn't the same after the Achilles Injury...

How many points did Kobe score in his last game? At age 37. . .

I know it was 60 or 62..., but regardless he averaged 17 points and shot 41% that year as well as the year before...If you think he was as good as before his injury. I don't know what to tell you. MJ was a better player statistically at 39 than Kobe was at 37. And neither were close to being the player they were.

I know it was 60 or 62..., but regardless he averaged 17 points and shot 41% that year as well as the year before...If you think he was as good as before his injury. I don't know what to tell you. MJ was a better player statistically at 39 than Kobe was at 37. And neither were close to being the player they were.

Point remains, he was still explosive enough to drop 60 whatever points in an NBA game. If he ruptured his achilles when he was 25 I bet he still would have gone on to be an all time great

Point remains, he was still explosive enough to drop 60 whatever points in an NBA game. If he ruptured his achilles when he was 25 I bet he still would have gone on to be an all time great

But yes... that's definitely the worst injury for an athlete, no question about it

The long term outcome following an ankle dislocation depends on the accuracy of reduction and the amount of articular cartilage damage

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT