ADVERTISEMENT

People bashing stubbornness…

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
….I think need to remember that stubbornness is why Fitz is still here and why we as fans have so much to lose, of which so many, myself included, are fearful.

Ten years ago, when Fitz was courted by Michigan and who knows how many other programs, that stubbornness is what made him stick to the belief that we could be a perennial Big Ten power with top notch facilities. Were Fitz so easily swayed by the opinion of others, he would have believed what so many others were telling him then, that NU had probably reached its peak with 4-5 straight winless bowl game appearances. That the academic nature of the school would not allow an abundance of resources to be dedicated to the
facilities. That recruiting would never improve to the point where he could consistently beat out other P5 programs for kids.

Without that stubbornness so many are lamenting, maybe Jim O’Neill is our head coach right now, and we are continuing to be the turnstile stepping stone program we were for decades. There would be nobody in the HC seat who would warrant the gifts bestowed upon the program that have and are continuing to make NU one of the best football facilities in the country.

I do not understand at all the JON hire. It’s maddeningly frustrating to me actually. I think the pattern and trajectory of his career were obvious, there was never any success on which to build, and that people cannot be expected to accomplish what they never have before in multiple attempts simply by getting another chance. But IMO, being upset with Fitz because he’s “too stubborn” to listen to egghead fans who know ZERO about running a massive organization is somewhat hypocritical.

This is going to be fixed, one way or another. It is unlikely to be done so in a manner or timeframe any of us would choose right now. But if what many of us think is the case, that JON is doing what JON always has and it is all of which he is capable, I cannot imagine Fitz is going to allow just stubbornness to crater all he has built and undermine his loyalty to his players, their parents and the program overall to do the damage we all fear could be coming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News