ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips: On a fast track to...

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
NCAA President or B1G Commissioner? Maybe contingent on which becomes available first? Either way I don't think he will be here in five years. Honestly, I consider it a big loss for us but a big gain for college athletics, regardless of which shoe drops first.

"Phillips is now, essentially, the chief face and voice of policymaking for the NCAA membership."

USA TODAY article

Charity begins in the home.....the Lakeside Facility, WR whatever, and Ryan field enhancements must be progressing quite nicely.

This post was edited on 2/11 4:24 PM by NUChicago

Will there be a shovel in the lakeside facility ground in five years? I say no.

The next person will need to hold that bag, and deal with the ten year contract.

Originally posted by JournCat:
Whatever the holdup is (and I honestly have no idea)...I doubt it's JP's doing. He arguably has the most to gain by getting a shovel in the ground, and he's a proven fundraiser. If I had to guess I'd bet he was the one who rolled out the plans possibly sooner than he should have with hope that it would light a fire under the butts of university leaders who are not directly invested in Athletics.

Originally posted by Sheffielder:

Originally posted by JournCat:
Whatever the holdup is (and I honestly have no idea)...I doubt it's JP's doing. He arguably has the most to gain by getting a shovel in the ground, and he's a proven fundraiser. If I had to guess I'd bet he was the one who rolled out the plans possibly sooner than he should have with hope that it would light a fire under the butts of university leaders who are not directly invested in Athletics.
Yeah, I agree with this. My guess is Phillips and others were counting on a successful 2013 season as a follow-up to the Gator Bowl season, and when the bottom fell through, so did fundraising. That failed fourth down against Ohio State might have cost us millions (only saying this half-seriously).

I heard that the money has been raised, and it is more of a zoning and permits issue at this point.

Seems to me Big Morty and the other university leaders must have seen by now that success in athletics leads to better financial support, and though their hearts may lean away from or even against athletics, their heads must show them that it can be a vital part of NU. Little question that Big Morty has seen this clearly.

Maybe the permit process is hell on lake-front property, but whatever the reason for no action and no promise of action, it's grown way old, a deafening silence.

Permitting in the Chicago area is a nightmare by comparison with other places. Just the parking garage part of the plan took years. We have not seen stuff going out asking for donations for the project so would have to feel that much of the funding is in place

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT