ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips to serve on NCAA Basketball Committee

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
From NUSports..

Phillips Appointed To NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Northwestern Vice President for Athletics & Recreation Jim Phillips has been appointed to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) announced on Friday. His five-year term of service will begin on September 1.

“It is an enormous understatement to say I'm honored and humbled by the opportunity to serve the NCAA, its member institutions and our student-athletes in this role,” said Phillips. “The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament is one of the most thrilling events in all of sports, and earning an invitation is what each of our 351 schools competes so fervently for throughout the winter and spring. Basketball is where my career began in college athletics, and the game holds an incredibly special place in my heart. Very candidly, I can’t wait to begin serving this fall alongside the already dedicated and talented selection committee that currently is in place.”

Phillips has led Northwestern’s Department of Athletics & Recreation since April of 2008. During his tenure Wildcats student-athletes have reached new heights academically, socially and athletically.

Northwestern paced the Big Ten in Academic All-Big Ten honors this fall, ranks among the national leaders in both Graduation Success Rate and Academic Progress Rate, and student-athletes completed more than 5,500 hours of service last year in the Evanston and Chicagoland communities.

The game of basketball is at the root of Phillips’ career in athletic administration. While earning a master’s degree from Arizona State, he served as a graduate assistant and restricted earnings coach during a period in which the Sun Devils basketball program reached the postseason in five consecutive seasons. He was a volunteer assistant for the U.S.A Men’s Basketball team that won bronze at 1994 Goodwill Games in St. Petersburg, Russia, supporting George Raveling, Kelvin Sampson & Bill Foster, and also was sport supervisor for men’s basketball at the University of Notre Dame when the Irish earned three NCAA Tournament berths. As the Director of Athletics at Northern Illinois University, Phillips served as a member of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Selection Committee.

Phillips was selected by peers as the inaugural chairman of the NCAA Division I Council, a term that ends in April, and serves as the only athletic director on the NCAA Division I Board of Directors and Board of Governors, the first-ever sitting athletic director to do so.

"The Big Ten applauds the NCAA's selection of Jim Phillips as a member of the DI Men's Basketball Committee,” said Big Ten Conference Commissioner Jim Delany. “Jim has done an outstanding job representing the conference as chair of the DI Council for the past several years, and we are confident that his experience with the sport, and as an administrator, will allow him to contribute to this committee in a significant way."

Phillips is the third administrator from Northwestern to serve on the committee, joining A.C. Lonborg (1947-50) and Waldo Fisher (1962-67).

Phillips is one of three new appointees to the Committee, joined by Southland Conference Commissioner Tom Burnett and University of Richmond Director of Athletics Keith Gill. The trio will replace Michigan State Athletics Director Mark Hollis, Northeastern Athletics Director Peter Roby and BYU Athletics Director Tom Holmoe, whose terms expire in August. The rest of the committee will consist of 2017-18 committee chair Bruce Rasmussen, the director of athletics at Creighton; Mitch Barnhart, the director of athletics at Kentucky; Janet Cone, the director of athletics at the UNC Asheville; Paul Krebs, the director of athletics at New Mexico; Bernard Muir, the director of athletics at Stanford; Jim Schaus, the director of athletics at Ohio; and Kevin White, the director of athletics at Duke.

I think it's great for NU that Jim Phillips got this NCAA committee appointment and the timing is perfect.

It seems that in all the media attention for Collins and the team, Phillips is somewhat in the background of all this glow. But Collins was Phillips's hire and he deserves a lot of credit for making such a wise decision. Even forgetting all the facilities upgrades stuff, just in terms of hiring and managing people, Phillips has done a terrific job with our athletics programs. So he deserves a lot of credit here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT