ADVERTISEMENT

Photo and lineup talk

backdoorpass

Jun 13, 2008
CnwUtiWWIAInNf0.jpg

Cool photo from @NUMensBball Twitter feed. You have to be excited about the improving athleticism. Also, I couldn't help but dissect how the teams are split up. (I get that this was just a snapshot of a moment during practice when they continually switch up teams, but still...)

It seems that the players (and logical positions) are:

PURPLE
1 - BMac
2 - Sanjay
3 - Falzon
4 - Skelly
5 - Benson

WHITE
1 - (not visible in photo) Probably Ash or Brown, right?
2 or 3 - Lindsey
2 or 3 - Law
4 - Taphorn
5 - Pardon

Note that Ivanauskas is standing under the basket. Ash, Hall, Brown and Malnati are not pictured.

I think it would surprise a lot of people to see Sanjay at guard next season. Even though he was recruited as a guard out of high school, he has played exclusively forward under Collins.

How do you think the rotation will shake out and who will earn the lion's share of minutes at off guard? Sanjay? Law? Lindsey? Ash? BMac with Brown at PG?

I'm excited for this team. I wish we didn't have to wait until November to see them in action!

CnwUtiWWIAInNf0.jpg

Cool photo from @NUMensBball Twitter feed. You have to be excited about the improving athleticism. Also, I couldn't help but dissect how the teams are split up. (I get that this was just a snapshot of a moment during practice when they continually switch up teams, but still...)

PURPLE
1 - BMac
2 - Sanjay
3 - Falzon
4 - Skelly
5 - Benson

WHITE
2 or 3 - Lindsey
2 or 3 - Law
4 - Taphorn
5 - Pardon

Note that Ivanauskas is standing under the basket. Ash, Hall, Brown and Malnati are not pictured.

I think it would surprise a lot of people to see Sanjay at guard next season. Even though he was recruited as a guard out of high school, he has played exclusively forward under Collins.

How do you think the rotation will shake out and who will earn the lion's share of minutes at off guard? Sanjay? Law? Lindsey? Ash? BMac with Brown at PG?

I'm excited for this team. I wish we didn't have to wait until November to see them in action!

Overthink this much? It is one picture during summer workouts....

I'm glad somebody is in the summer over-analysis mode besides me.

Now that you pointed out the Sanjay lineup, Backdoor, I think you're right, but I hope you're wrong. Lumpkin is nowhere near confident enough with the ball to be a guard. Is there anybody here who wouldn't have their defender back off Sanjay at the guard, clog the lane, generally double-team another player and let him shoot to his heart's content?

I stick to my original statement: If Sanjay averages more than 20 minutes - especially in B10 play, this team is in trouble.

Also, based on this photo - and this photo ALONE - I PREDICT #13 (Law??) will be one of the top three scorers in NU history. :D

Now back to my over-analysis of recruiting. I think I saw one prospect smile in a particular manner that everybody knows is a sign he is on his way to NU.

Reactions: NUCat320
CnwUtiWWIAInNf0.jpg

PURPLE
1 - BMac
2 - Sanjay
3 - Falzon
4 - Skelly
5 - Benson

WHITE
2 or 3 - Lindsey
2 or 3 - Law
4 - Taphorn
5 - Pardon

Fun post, backdoorpass. I'm in agreement with 112 that Sanjay doesn't have the confidence nor the ball-handling ability to play guard. Only in emergency situations should he do it.

In all honesty, I have no clue how the lineups will shake out, but that's what makes this squad interesting. The lack of depth at guard and lack of experience up front have me worried, but there's A LOT of able-bodied players in that picture.

The lack of depth at guard and lack of experience up front have me worried, but there's A LOT of able-bodied players in that picture.

My dark horse pick for break-through player of the year is Gavin Skelly. He brings great energy, rebounding, passing, size/athleticism and decent defense. Skelly also had the highest 3-point percentage on the team at 44%... This is mostly said in jest as he only took 9 shots beyond the arc. But in seriousness, his game is evolving and I like him as the kind of guy who is going to come up with 50-50 plays more often than not. At forward, I see minutes for Taphorn and Sanjay going down and Skelly's going up significantly. (I don't know what to expect from Ivanauskas.) Skelly could be a terrific role player in a lineup that looks like:

1 - BMac
2 - Law
3 - Falzon
4 - Skelly
5 - Pardon

And the lineup would be 6-3, 6-7, 6-8, 6-8, 6-8!

My dark horse pick for break-through player of the year is Gavin Skelly. He brings great energy, rebounding, passing, size/athleticism and decent defense. Skelly also had the highest 3-point percentage on the team at 44%... This is mostly said in jest as he only took 9 shots beyond the arc. But in seriousness, his game is evolving and I like him as the kind of guy who is going to come up with 50-50 plays more often than not. At forward, I see minutes for Taphorn and Sanjay going down and Skelly's going up significantly. (I don't know what to expect from Ivanauskas.) Skelly could be a terrific role player in a lineup that looks like:

1 - BMac
2 - Law
3 - Falzon
4 - Skelly
5 - Pardon

I agree about Skelly. His picture with BMac and The Franchise looks like he is now a grown man. Third year should be a sep-change for him. I think you nailed NU's best line-up as well.

I'll give you a little more info than the pic. In the last few weeks it came to pass that I saw the Cats work out.

Three things jumped out.

The first is B Mac. B-Mxxxxxfxxxxxg-Mac! I didn't see similar workouts in previous years so there's no baseline. But it's transparently clear that B Mac has thrown down the gauntlet and said through action, "I'm the hardest worker." Law was a very close second. Effort and leadership dripping on the floor from these two.

Second is Rap. I suspect that Rap is going to be a major disruptor (sp?) to minutes and Collins is going to have issues as a result. Rap is not skinny, and pretty broad across the shoulders. At one point he was shoulder to shoulder with Skelly and I really can't say who is bigger. I saw serious drive and effort from Rap. He's not easing into his freshman year.

Barrett Benson. Smooth. Or, as Gary Barbee from 95th and Stony Island used to say about Darius Clemmons, "schmooooove." Not sure about strength cuz I didn't see much in that department, but Benson runs with the grace of a 5' 10 guard. I was astounded by how this guy moves.

My takeaway was forget about last year. This will be an entirely different team. Mac's team if I can extrapolate from the very little bit I saw.

My over analysis of the photo results in the following observations:

Pardon has freaking long arms.

Tap has gotten even bigger, his shoulders compared to Skelly next to him look massive.

Law has clearly been hitting the weights and his arms are huge. No longer the sticks like the last time he was on the floor as a frosh.

Falzon looks leaner in the jaws thus leading to the obvious conclusion that he will be stronger, faster, more accurate, and smarter. Yep.

And I agree with everything being said about Skelly.

My northeast Ohio connection! I was fortunate enough to see both of these guys play in high school...Skelly more than Pardon...actually saw Pardon play vs. Kipper Nichols.

Rap should *not* be wearing a t-shirt. T-shirts are for the skinny guys who don't like their guns. (Lindsey's got guns, too. They're just so big they make him self-conscious.)

Re: Mac
He's a junior. No February fades allowed.

Re: FitzPhile
Disagree! There was not enough over analysis. Will Benson's hair impact his speed - or could it help, because it adds deception? Is it possible Lindsey has sprouted to seven feet - I note his head appears to be the highest. Mac is a bit blurry - is that facial surgery or just a photo? Should any bandanas be allowed? Should they be purple only?

Re: FitzPhile
Will Benson's hair impact his speed - or could it help, because it adds deception? Is it possible Lindsey has sprouted to seven feet - I note his head appears to be the highest. Mac is a bit blurry - is that facial surgery or just a photo? Should any bandanas be allowed? Should they be purple only?
No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.
No.

1 - BMac
2 - Law
3 - Falzon
4 - Skelly
5 - Pardon

And the lineup would be 6-3, 6-7, 6-8, 6-8, 6-8!

I'm really interested to see how the non-conference lineups look. Other than Mac at a G and probably Pardon at the C, I think it can go many ways. We all believe Law starts, but where? Falzon of last year v Law or Lindsey or RI at the wing - probably not Falzon. But if he has grown his game, then I see him making a push. (btw, isn't he a 4?) I would love to see Skelly become a big contributor - but I think that would indicate disappointing results from others. So my minute distribution from the happy place of a competitive team in the B1G:

My veteran starting B1G lineup:
G - Mac 30 - 3 year starter
G - Lindsey - 25 - 3 year player
F - Law - 30 - very old for a 2 year starter
F - Falzon - 25 - some starting experience last year
C - Pardon - 25 - some good starting experience last year

G - Brown - 20
F - RI - 25
C - Benson - 15 Skelly - 5

This would mean: Lindsey has turned the corner that we have been waiting for, Law is healthy and right, Falzon figured it out, Brown is a legit B1G player and RI is the real deal. Lots of if's. I think as the if's fall, you will see more of Sanjay, Tap and Ash. And while I don't want to wish anyone bench warmer status, having those three guys sitting more games than not means our recruiting is working out very well.

I'm really interested to see how the non-conference lineups look. Other than Mac at a G and probably Pardon at the C, I think it can go many ways. We all believe Law starts, but where? Falzon of last year v Law or Lindsey or RI at the wing - probably not Falzon. But if he has grown his game, then I see him making a push. (btw, isn't he a 4?) I would love to see Skelly become a big contributor - but I think that would indicate disappointing results from others. So my minute distribution from the happy place of a competitive team in the B1G:

G - Brown - 20
F - RI - 25

This would mean: Lindsey has turned the corner that we have been waiting for, Law is healthy and right, Falzon figured it out, Brown is a legit B1G player and RI is the real deal. Lots of if's. I think as the if's fall, you will see more of Sanjay, Tap and Ash. And while I don't want to wish anyone bench warmer status, having those three guys sitting more games than not means our recruiting is working out very well.

Good analysis. I think Lindsey is the wildcard. If he has indeed turned the corner, the Cats will be very good. If not, either Brown steps up or NU struggles to find a second scorer.

Disagree. Flazon will be one of our best players. He started 29 games as a freshman and scored 8.4 ppg. How many freshmen do that? He'll make the sophomore jump and help lead the team.

G - Brown - 20
F - RI - 25

Lindsey is a off the bench player and if Sanjay or Tap get major minutes the Cats are in trouble.

Lindsey is a off the bench player and if Sanjay or Tap get major minutes the Cats are in trouble.
What do yer mean? Lump will play 33.4 minutes per game and lead the league in scoring.

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT