ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans perspective

PantherDave724

Oct 17, 2016
Hello everyone. Just wanted to drop by and give you guys a fans perspective about our match-up in a couple weeks. I love this match-up with Northwestern for a couple reasons. I am a HUGE fan of Pat Fitzgerald and I think you guys have one of the best young coaches in the game. I am also intrigued by the Narduzzi angle given his time at Michigan State and how familiar he is with Northwestern.

A little about Pitt:
On offense, we can put up points in bunches. Outside of Miami where the game got away from us, we were able to move the ball frequently and at times, at will. Nate Peterman is the QB and is extremely efficient at running a Matt Canada offense. I would consider him a pocket passer but if things break down, he can scramble and make something happen with his legs. James Conner is our leading rusher and has gotten markedly better as the season as progressed. His recovery from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and subsequent ability to come back and play at such a high level has been impressive. Pitt doesn't throw a ton, but when they do, expect names like Jester Weah and Scott Orndoff to pop up a lot. You'll also never see a team run more jet sweeps in your life. Quadree Henderson handles the majority of that responsibility and late in the year speedster and true FR Maurice Ffrench came on. Pitt put up 76 on Syracuse pretty easily. I don't think that happens again against you, but know that the offense is explosive.

On defense, Pitt is very good at stopping the run, but very poor at stopping the pass. In particular, Pitt is especially terrible with long passes down the field. Our cornerbacks almost refused to turn their head to find the football. Long passes almost certainly will result in a completion or a pass interference call. Pitt is very hit or mess with their pass rush as well. Ejuan Price is one of the best defensive ends in the Country and a terror off the edge. Up-tempo offenses tend to give us issues as well. Pitt will likely be without their best defensive back Jordan Whitehead who broke his forearm against Clemson and I'd assume isn't ready to go yet. CB Ryan Lewis is one of the worst defensive backs you'll ever see, and unfortunately for Pitt Safety Terrish Webb might be the 2nd worst DB in the country.

Overall, I see a 7-10 point game, but a TON of points being scored. I hope Pitt wins. Good luck to you guys on the 28th.

You should be thrilled about the match-up. We can, at best, be cautiously optimistic. :rolleyes: In any event, thanks for stopping by to share your perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherDave724
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT