ADVERTISEMENT

Please table the Lausch package?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Since the UTEP game, the only thing the Lausch package has accomplished is making me scream at the TV and in so doing, frighten my dog. In that span, Lausch has rushed 12 times for 18 yards, completed 1 pass for 4 yards while being sacked once. Since he has only entered the game in the red zone, the Cats have basically wasted 14 snaps from scoring position by trotting him out. Enough already?

Against Wisconsin I noticed that on his second play, the threat of Lausch running wide opened up things for Tyus. If they continue to use Lausch, I am waiting for them to throw a slant. If the D is waiting to jump on Lausch that could go for a TD.

Dreams aside, I don’t like it either.

Agree they need to rethink this. I like that they want to get Lausch on the field but these packages aren’t working.

Or mix in a just a few more passes to try to keep the D honest. The defense just knows exactly what's coming when Lausch goes in.

The package would make sense if Lausch were a credible threat to throw the ball. At this point, if you see that package, you can put eight or nine guys in the box to defend it.

He is listed as a quarterback, but even if he's a below-average quarterback, he's still someone who should know how to throw the ball if he needs to. It's just so boring that and frustrating that all of the plays in this package result in about -2 to +2 yards.

Correct take, @eastbaycat99, though I don’t think it’s always been in the red zone.

I don’t know if Bajakian’s got it in him, but the one look I can see working is a throwback/flea flicker type play where Lausch gets a handoff and has to make a relatively long lateral back to Bryant, while single-option receiver is headed downfield.

This could happen because, as @CoralSpringsCat rightly says, Bajakian is a ba-genius.

Lausch doesn’t have the skills to make guys miss when everyone’s eyes are on him.

Against Wisconsin I noticed that on his second play, the threat of Lausch running wide opened up things for Tyus. If they continue to use Lausch, I am waiting for them to throw a slant. If the D is waiting to jump on Lausch that could go for a TD.

Dreams aside, I don’t like it either.
Basically it is the same as the Wildcat that they tried to use too often and got stuffed for the same reason. As soon as they substituted, 9 times out of 10 it would be a QB run

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT