ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: B1G now has the strongest odds to land Notre Dame! Who should be the 16th team?

Who should be the 16th Big Ten team if Notre Dame joins?

• Cincinnati (AAC)

• Iowa State (B12)

• Kansas (B12)

• BYU (Independent)

• Oklahoma State (B12)

• Temple (AAC)

• West Virginia (B12)

• Boise State (MWC)

• UCF (AAC)

• Other (share in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
I just got off the horn with my buddy, and he had major news: the affiliation has actually strengthened the B1G’s chances at landing Notre Dame! It’s either the ACC or B1G for them. And the ND influencers realize they’ll make way less money in the ACC.

If these rumors are true and ND finally joins… of the teams “currently available” - ACC, PAC, SEC are “off limits” - who should be the 16th team to join the expanded “Big 10” (B16)?

Reactions: NREPP Fraud
Penn. Time to get the Ivies back to the time they were the Alabama's and Ohio State's of college football. Probably won't happen, but it should since it is imperative the best academic schools rule college football, not the football factories (because college football should not be the NFL minor leagues, even though it is). Get rid of Penn State as soon as possible, since they represent the worst of college sports. Northwestern, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, Rice and hopefully the Ivies should lead college football into the future. It is FIRST about education. So, ND would be good, since they also value education.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat
It's gotta be Kansas - I like that addition more than Notre Dame, as they're a more natural fit and they bring something geographically. If it weren't for "the Alliance" I'd say the B1G should try to poach Colorado from the Pac 12. But back to Kansas... they would clearly make the B1G a powerhouse in basketball.

In my opinion, in football and basketball, the B1G would really be a "Big Ten" and a "Little Six"... and they're mostly flipped. I'm sure many would quibble with the list below, and bring up stuff that happened >30 years. But if you look at what these teams have done with some consistency in the last 10 years or so...

Football:

"Big Ten" (no particular order)
Michigan
MSU
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Iowa
Penn State
Ohio State

"Little Six"
Maryland
Rutgers
Kansas
Illinois
Nebraska
Indiana
Purdue

Basketball:

"Big Ten"
Kansas
Maryland
Indiana
Michigan
MSU
Ohio State
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota/Iowa

"Little Six"
Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
Iowa/Minnesota
Rutgers
Notre Dame

Surprised to see BYU and West Virginia tied at 2nd place in the poll. Guess there is some logic to having the two major Independents together in the same conference. Either one (BYU/W.Va) would definitely expand the geographic footprint if that is the goal.

ND can't join the Big Ten for the next 15 years. Their ACC contract says they can only join the ACC if they join a conference for football over the next 15 years.

Georgetown

Make an agreement with ND to enter the B1G when their contract with the ACC is complete. Give Georgetown that many years to create a good football program and build a stadium and facilities.

Georgetown is a great school. The B1G would have the two premiere Catholic institutions in the US. Georgetown has a powerful alumni base. It also has a strong brand, and it would be cool to have games in DC.

ND can't join the Big Ten for the next 15 years. Their ACC contract says they can only join the ACC if they join a conference for football over the next 15 years.
What’s their penalty clause for voiding that contract? If it’s not much, we can assume it makes more monetary sense for ND to jump to the B1G.

Also, wouldn’t the “affiliation” actively excluding ND be cause to void said contract? I’m not a lawyer but maybe @No Chores or @IGNORE2 can share their opinion.

Reactions: hdhntr1
What’s their penalty clause for voiding that contract? If it’s not much, we can assume it makes more monetary sense for ND to jump to the B1G.

Also, wouldn’t the “affiliation” actively excluding ND be cause to void said contract? I’m not a lawyer but maybe @No Chores or @IGNORE2 can share their opinion.
Probably would cost them a ton of money ($200-300m to void the contract) right now.

Not 100% sure about terms but it guarantees a minimum of 5 ACC-ND games per year through 2036.

I just got off the horn with my buddy, and he had major news: the affiliation has actually strengthened the B1G’s chances at landing Notre Dame! It’s either the ACC or B1G for them. And the ND influencers realize they’ll make way less money in the ACC.

If these rumors are true and ND finally joins… of the teams “currently available” - ACC, PAC, SEC are “off limits” - who should be the 16th team to join the expanded “Big 10” (B16)?
Notwithstanding the inside track your buddy has, I am sick of years of Notre Dame rumors, and don't believe it. They are too full of themselves and don't want to share attention. MAYBE ACC if the conf basically lets them keep everything they have. No way B1G

Probably would cost them a ton of money ($200-300m to void the contract) right now.

Not 100% sure about terms but it guarantees a minimum of 5 ACC-ND games per year through 2036.
Why in the world would they ever risk paying a conference they don’t belong to $200M? And it must be voided as they’re not apart of the ACC and thus the affiliation right? What 5 scrubs from the ACC will risk adding them as their 2nd OOC team every year?

“If these rumors are true… “ A rumor is a uncertain or doubtful truth. Your “buddy” is passing on a rumor. No need to guess at a 16th team since ND is not joining the B1G… not ever.

It's gotta be Kansas - I like that addition more than Notre Dame, as they're a more natural fit and they bring something geographically. If it weren't for "the Alliance" I'd say the B1G should try to poach Colorado from the Pac 12. But back to Kansas... they would clearly make the B1G a powerhouse in basketball.

In my opinion, in football and basketball, the B1G would really be a "Big Ten" and a "Little Six"... and they're mostly flipped. I'm sure many would quibble with the list below, and bring up stuff that happened >30 years. But if you look at what these teams have done with some consistency in the last 10 years or so...

Football:

"Big Ten" (no particular order)
Michigan
MSU
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Iowa
Penn State
Ohio State

"Little Six"
Maryland
Rutgers
Kansas
Illinois
Nebraska
Indiana
Purdue

Basketball:

"Big Ten"
Kansas
Maryland
Indiana
Michigan
MSU
Ohio State
Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota/Iowa

"Little Six"
Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
Iowa/Minnesota
Rutgers
Notre Dame
Was it intentional that the "football" "Big Ten" includes nine teams? (The Big Ten hasn't been able to count for a long time, so maybe it was intentional.)

If you want to move over a 10th team, I think it would have to be Nebraska, just because of their history and fan support.

Also, the basketball "Little Six" still has some pretty damned good basketball teams.

Last edited:
“If these rumors are true… “ A rumor is a uncertain or doubtful truth. Your “buddy” is passing on a rumor. No need to guess at a 16th team since ND is not joining the B1G… not ever.
And I used to think denial was a river in Egypt before I met you.

Notwithstanding the inside track your buddy has, I am sick of years of Notre Dame rumors, and don't believe it. They are too full of themselves and don't want to share attention. MAYBE ACC if the conf basically lets them keep everything they have. No way B1G
I agree. But they risk a tough road if they don’t change their ways and join one soonZ. The affiliation is a gamr changer.

I really hope we dont get notre dame but admittedly its just due to my complete hate of that football program. Yes it would help recruiting.
I voted for kansas. I love that bb program but if we land ND and okie state.....it doesnt get any better for football plus thats a higher rated TV grab than Texas and Okie.

I really hope we dont get notre dame but admittedly its just due to my complete hate of that football program. Yes it would help recruiting.
I voted for kansas. I love that bb program but if we land ND and okie state.....it doesnt get any better for football plus thats a higher rated TV grab than Texas and Okie.
Well Turk, it looks like the Big 12 is about to scoop up BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. B1G better hope they nab ND and KU or we’ll potentially be left behind in a few years.

Reactions: Turk
Was it intentional that the "football" "Big Ten" includes nine teams? (The Big Ten hasn't been able to count for a long time, so maybe it was intentional.)

If you want to move over a 10th team, I think it would have to be Nebraska, just because of their history and fan support.

Also, the basketball "Little Six" still has some pretty damned good basketball teams.
That was simply my mistake, but I did initially have Nebraska in there and then dropped them down. "Tradition" from 30+ years ago but they just aren't relevant at the moment. In fact, if I was placing bets on who will win more Big Ten games over the next 5 years... I'd definitely have to put Indiana ahead of them (assuming Allen stays) and maybe even Maryland or Illinois... that's not great company to keep.

And I agree with you on bball, where it's much more fluid. NU could easily be middle of the pack in the Big Ten next year and beyond, the talent is there!

Add Cincinnati, Pitt, West Virginia and ND. Get rid of Maryland and Rutgers. There's your best 16.

I agree.... I'd have to think somehow that would selfishly help me - even though I'm at the medical school and not the main campus. At the very least, it would mean NU travels here once in a while! That would be excellent!!

I agree.... I'd have to think somehow that would selfishly help me - even though I'm at the medical school and not the main campus. At the very least, it would mean NU travels here once in a while! That would be excellent!!
There are dumpsters… then there are dumpster fires… and then there is the UConn football program. No way they’re getting an invite to the B1G time. I’m sorry.

Can you get a job at UMN Medical School? The Cat's travel here too (except I hate it when they come here and lose). That would probably more of a possibility than UConn joining the B1G.

Iowa State makes sense

Based on everything I have read, it is not contractually or financially possible for Notre Dame to join any conference other than the ACC until 2036. The terms involve a grant of rights for the games involving ACC teams, and to date, no sports team has successfully challenged such a grant.

Also, with the eventual expansion of the college football playoff to more teams, there is less incentive for Notre Dame to join a football conference. Going forward, there will always be a path into playoffs for ND.

Reactions: NREPP Fraud
Can we have one of those board bets, True, where I win if ND doesn't join the B1G in, say, 5 years? Something like I have to change my board name to "JimHarbaughIsMyFather" if they join the B1G. What do you want to bet?

Ain't happening. Isn't that drum of yours worn out yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT