ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Your connection(s) to ND? (Can vote for multiple items)

NU fans, do you have a tie to Notre Dame?

• I am an ND grad/ current student

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • At least one of my parents attended ND

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • At least one of my children attended ND

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • My brother or sister attended ND

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Extended family (aunt, nephew, son-in-law, etc.) attended ND

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • I was an ND fan before I saw the light

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • I believe that ND sucks today and has always sucked

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • I don’t really care about ND

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I still cheer for ND most of the time

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
I might be wrong, but it *seems* like there are more familial connections to ND among NU fans than to other schools, including most in the Big Ten. What’s yours?

Last edited:
My little sister, Tanya, graduated from ND in 93'. When I was a grad student at Purdue in 91', I picked her up along with 3 of her pretty girlfriends for Thanksgiving break at my parents' place. I stayed overnite in her friend's room the nite before we took off. I remember thinking to myself that ND was a lot more conservative/religious than NU. Pretty girls- fun to hook up with. Some really nice people there- good food in the mess hall too! I usually root for ND- except when they play NU. The one day of the year that I won't like my sister will be Sat., 11/3/18!

Reactions: StreamCat
Lifelong hatred. I suppose it's a family connection in that my dad and I cheered whoever was playing Notre Dame together on many, many Saturdays...

Reactions: scru and NUCat320
I voted for 4. I’ll make clear that it’s possible.
You didn’t include close friends in your poll. I was high school friends with quite a few ND grads. Lost touch with most of them but they were all good people. I only root against ND because they are easier to recruit against when they lose

Don’t care that much. Their arrogance is annoying, especially when they claim to stand for academic integrity and not just football. But I will always root for them against USC because...USC.

Reactions: mickbula
I might be wrong, but it *seems* like there are more familial connections to ND among NU fans than to other schools, including most in the Big Ten. What’s yours?
My father went to ND during WW2 with V12 program. They painted a5 pointed star on the door to keep from getting woke for 5AM mass as they were not Catholic. I dislike them for a host of reasons including they having taken Parssegian, arrogance and built in advantages that NU has to compete against

Don’t care that much. Their arrogance is annoying, especially when they claim to stand for academic integrity and not just football. But I will always root for them against USC because...USC.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that they can be ostentatious and arrogant. But the fact of the matter is that ND students and grads of the school have some serious school spirit- and this shows most often when they cheer for their sports teams. I know a lot of NU fans that match or even beat this bravado for our teams, but I wish more of NU students/grads would come to games with me/instead of studying at Tech libes on game days to root for NU teams. I know some kids that go to/grad from NU simply aren't into sports and that is their deal- and I respect that. But just even if they could show up for a few games to cheer just to check it out would be cool in my book! We have some great kids playing for our teams and our athletic dept seems to just keep getting better!

I will grudgingly admit that when I went to South Bend in 1993 (damn! I missed the 1995 game!), I was absolutely amazed by the place. Not that it was any better or worse than any other stadium physically, but it had an aura around it. And when they sang the fight song, the whole stadium shook. It's not like when they sing "Go U Northwestern" at Ryan Field. I was impressed.

For those who care about such things, every time I've attended an NU-Notre Dame game, NU has lost. Every time I've watched them play on TV, NU has won. I'll be on the comfy schmumpfy couch tomorrow.

Last edited:
As an Irish Catholic, I rooted for ND even through the Brennan years but really lost interest in them when they hired Lou Holtz, a cancer that tainted many programs (Minnesota, SC,Arkansas) including ND. ND had followed B1G guidelines but he abandoned those principles and eventually ND had enough and got rid of him and were lucky not to suffer severe NCAA sanctions

I still respect ND for playing USNA every year in remembrance of the role Navy had in helping ND through the tough WWII yesrs

I would still welcome ND to the B1G , their natural geographic home

When our daughter was looking at colleges, someone suggested that she consider Notre Dame. My wife, who dumped a Domer before we met, said, ‘we’re not paying $200,000 for our daughter to get a drinking problem.’
Closer to $280,000

As a brother, son, (double) nephew and cousin of ND grads, who still mostly hopes they win, I am overjoyed to see mostly indifference and antipathy here. Efff the Irish.

Brother - ND '79.(Accepted at NU, but free ride to ND)
Sister - NU '81
Wife - NU '91
Me - NU '92 (Wait listed at ND, damn them)
Niece - ND '15
Nephew - NU '17
Boss / Mentor - ND '68

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT