ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Grad Transfer Rule Change

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
The hypocrisy of the NCAA never ceases to amaze me. They are considering a rule change for grad transfers in football and Men's and Women's hoops as follows: require a team that accepts a grad transfer be docked a scholarship the next year if the grad transfer doesn't earn his/her grad degree within a year.

John Calipari said earlier "if the kid gets his grad degree in one year, fine; if he doesn't, you've got to use the scholarship for two years".

Clearly, this is an attempt by coaches to reduce movement by players. They want to maintain control.

Problem I have is, these kids did what they are supposed to do: they earned a degree. Calipari doesn't seem to have any problem giving a scholarship to a kid who has zero intention of ever getting a degree, and he isn't docked scholarships for one-and-dones. Are some (many?) grad transfers just trying to get a better playing time deal? Sure. But that's what keeps the billion dollar NCAA cash machine ticking. The NCAA has no problem making Matt Mooney the face of the TTU semifinals, yet if Mooney doesn't get a grad degree in a year they want to then punish TTU. Seems hypocritical to me.

As an aside, not all grad programs are one year. And to expect a kid to do a full time one-year program AND play Division I football or basketball is way over the top. Once again, the kids are getting screwed by the rich grown-ups. And some wonder why Progressive politics is on the upswing......

The hypocrisy of the NCAA never ceases to amaze me. They are considering a rule change for grad transfers in football and Men's and Women's hoops as follows: require a team that accepts a grad transfer be docked a scholarship the next year if the grad transfer doesn't earn his/her grad degree within a year.

John Calipari said earlier "if the kid gets his grad degree in one year, fine; if he doesn't, you've got to use the scholarship for two years".

Clearly, this is an attempt by coaches to reduce movement by players. They want to maintain control.

Problem I have is, these kids did what they are supposed to do: they earned a degree. Calipari doesn't seem to have any problem giving a scholarship to a kid who has zero intention of ever getting a degree, and he isn't docked scholarships for one-and-dones. Are some (many?) grad transfers just trying to get a better playing time deal? Sure. But that's what keeps the billion dollar NCAA cash machine ticking. The NCAA has no problem making Matt Mooney the face of the TTU semifinals, yet if Mooney doesn't get a grad degree in a year they want to then punish TTU. Seems hypocritical to me.

As an aside, not all grad programs are one year. And to expect a kid to do a full time one-year program AND play Division I football or basketball is way over the top. Once again, the kids are getting screwed by the rich grown-ups. And some wonder why Progressive politics is on the upswing......

I’m with you NJ. I think a better rule would be that all players count as two years against scholarahip limits. Let Duke and Calipari choke on that idea.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and NJCat
“Considering.” We can only hope.

“I graduated early to earn my freedom, and now this.” An ncaa Grandfather Law.

Won’t matter as much in the future. Only a matter of time before the NBA allows drafting of HS players again.
There will still be guys who blow up after 1 or 2 years and declare for the draft. Which is just fine. The reality is that high major NCAA ball is just an unpaid NBA D League. It pisses me off that the NCAA picks on grad transfers, who actually got a sheepskin allowing them freedom to play elsewhere, while turning a blind eye to kids who drop out early to play pro ball.

It just goes to show how detached Calipari is from academics if he really thinks you can penalize a school for a graduate transfer not getting their graduate degree within a year. The average full-time student will earn their Master's degree in 18 to 24 months. I think it would be the exception that a student find a program that could be completed within a calendar year and even then it would probably be difficult for a college athlete juggling academics and athletics to take more than a full-time academic load in order to under a master degree in a year. Basically, if the NCAA does want to do graduate transfers then don't do graduate transfers, but don't make up some silly cockamamie rule to ban it without saying your banning it like a poll tax or grandfather clause. Some of those graduate transfers busted their gut to graduate with their bachelors in 3 years, so to penalize their school when the student-athlete may actually be on target to graduate in a 2-year master degree on time is weird and would be foolhardy for the NCAA to undertake.

I'd be ok with this if the same goes for undergrads. Dock each school a year for undergrads who don't earn a degree somewhere in five years. Sure, transfer, but earn the degree.

I can wait the five year period and then start enforcing. It'll be tough for Kentucky to play with three scholarship players and a bunch of walkons.

Reactions: IGNORE
Doubt Calipari knows or cares much about graduate programs. One and done king doesn't see many 4 or 5 year players so he doesn't see many players graduating with undergraduate degrees much less attending graduate school.

Doubt Calipari knows or cares much about graduate programs. One and done king doesn't see many 4 or 5 year players so he doesn't see many players graduating with undergraduate degrees much less attending graduate school.
The ironic thing is, one his best players this season was in fact a grad transfer......

I’m in favor of a policy where each scholarship is tagged to a four year graduation expectation such that drop outs / 1 and done’s scholarships become available again after their projected graduation day.

You could tweak it to adjust for the vagaries of player transfers and graduates with remaining eligibility.

That kind of thing might have an impact on how colleges recruit and when the nba gets back to offering high school kids.

I’m in favor of a policy where each scholarship is tagged to a four year graduation expectation such that drop outs / 1 and done’s scholarships become available again after their projected graduation day.

You could tweak it to adjust for the vagaries of player transfers and graduates with remaining eligibility.

That kind of thing might have an impact on how colleges recruit and when the nba gets back to offering high school kids.
Well, the NBA could care less about how many scholarships Kentucky gets.

Can't fault kids for going to college for a year before they hit the NBA. This issue isn't one-and-done, it's penalizing a kid who has already graduated for not being able to transfer and continue playing.

And if you want to tag scholarships to graduation rates, you need to index them to the rate at each school for non-athletes. At a minimum I'd see 5 years as the baseline for an athlete, since it is MUCH harder to play school and sports at the Division I level than just going to school.

Reactions: IGNORE
It just goes to show how detached Calipari is from academics if he really thinks you can penalize a school for a graduate transfer not getting their graduate degree within a year. The average full-time student will earn their Master's degree in 18 to 24 months. I think it would be the exception that a student find a program that could be completed within a calendar year and even then it would probably be difficult for a college athlete juggling academics and athletics to take more than a full-time academic load in order to under a master degree in a year. Basically, if the NCAA does want to do graduate transfers then don't do graduate transfers, but don't make up some silly cockamamie rule to ban it without saying your banning it like a poll tax or grandfather clause. Some of those graduate transfers busted their gut to graduate with their bachelors in 3 years, so to penalize their school when the student-athlete may actually be on target to graduate in a 2-year master degree on time is weird and would be foolhardy for the NCAA to undertake.
If they cannot earn the degree in 12 months it makes sense that a scholarship would be sufficient to get the job done. What is at issue is if that scholarship should count against the 13 during a the second year when the transfer would no longer be able to play

Well, the NBA could care less about how many scholarships Kentucky gets.

Can't fault kids for going to college for a year before they hit the NBA. This issue isn't one-and-done, it's penalizing a kid who has already graduated for not being able to transfer and continue playing.

And if you want to tag scholarships to graduation rates, you need to index them to the rate at each school for non-athletes. At a minimum I'd see 5 years as the baseline for an athlete, since it is MUCH harder to play school and sports at the Division I level than just going to school.
Sure the NBA might not care, but Kentucky might.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT