ADVERTISEMENT

Potential QB Prospect to Portal - UNLV Jayden Maiava

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Dennys reported NU interest, though no offer, as a prospect. Rivals did not report any NU interest.

Good numbers for a nine-win UNLV team. Second-team MWC and MWC freshman of the year.

Went 5-for-7 in mop-up duty at Michigan, then made his first start and beat Vandy, leading two scoring drives in the last five minutes of the game.

I didn’t see their bowl game against Kansas, but he threw for 291 yards with three TDs and two picks.

Reporting:

Stats:

Was Rivals 5.5/3-star. Would seem to be a really, really good fit. Go Cats.

The portal kinda sucks, especially for non Power 4 programs. But it’s good when it benefits the Cats.

Last edited:
Dennys reported NU interest, though no offer, as a prospect. Rivals did not report any NU interest.

Good numbers for a nine-win UNLV team. Second-team MWC and MWC freshman of the year.

Went 5-for-7 in mop-up duty at Michigan, then made his first start and beat Vandy, leading two scoring drives in the last five minutes of the game.

I didn’t see their bowl game against Kansas, but he threw for 291 yards with three TDs and two picks.

Reporting:

Stats:

Was Rivals 5.5/3-star. Would seem to be a really, really good fit. Go Cats.

The portal kinda sucks, especially for non Power 4 programs. But it’s good when it benefits the Cats.

Highly, highly unlikely. Not a good fit at all. Virtually impossible for NU to sign a non-grad transfer. How were his academics coming out of high school? Was he an All-Academic performer at UNLV?

Highly, highly unlikely. Not a good fit at all. Virtually impossible for NU to sign a non-grad transfer. How were his academics coming out of high school? Was he an All-Academic performer at UNLV?
Of course. That’s why I mentioned the reported NU interest. Perhaps there had been some early transcript preread. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I think NU classes start tomorrow, so very unlikely to happen.

If nothing else, it will be fun to see him succeed in the SEC and wonder “what if” Bajakian had been better at his job.

Just curious...do players who enter the transfer portal stop practicing and using the school's facilities and training table? If they commit to another school do they stop attending classes? If for example if Miavia were to commit to NU in February would he just be in limbo or finish the semester at UNLV on his own dime? or just be in limbo academically and athletically until the summer session?

Of course. That’s why I mentioned the reported NU interest. Perhaps there had been some early transcript preread. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I think NU classes start tomorrow, so very unlikely to happen.

If nothing else, it will be fun to see him succeed in the SEC and wonder “what if” Bajakian had been better at his job.
"Interest" doesn't guarantee that he got past admissions, so it doesn't tell us much academically.

Just curious...do players who enter the transfer portal stop practicing and using the school's facilities and training table? If they commit to another school do they stop attending classes? If for example if Miavia were to commit to NU in February would he just be in limbo or finish the semester at UNLV on his own dime? or just be in limbo academically and athletically until the summer session?

Each team handles it how they want. Usually they’re out, but sometimes not.

He will be OK academically. He went to UNLV and therefore he can count to 21
I would have thrown in that it would be rare he'd have to count much higher than that if he moved to the BIG West, but then, those days are now over.

• Haha
Reactions: ricko654321
To close the loop here, Maiava was committed to Georgia briefly, but is now committed to USC.

So I guess he wasn’t *really* a potential transfer prospect.

I promise to continue sharing more expert analysis of the transfer portal. </s>

To close the loop here, Maiava was committed to Georgia briefly, but is now committed to USC.

So I guess he wasn’t *really* a potential transfer prospect.

I promise to continue sharing more expert analysis of the transfer portal. </s>

It’s generally a sign that NU won’t be involved when a kid signs with an NIL “agency.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT