ADVERTISEMENT

Preference Poll for the 'Cats' Bowl: Foster, Pinstripe or Quick

Of the three most likely bowls, which is your personal preference?

• Foster Farms in Santa Clara, a City by the (San Francisco) Bay on Dec 28th evening FOX

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Pinstripe in NYC, so nice they named it twice on Dec 28th midday ESPN

Votes: 46 40.4%
  • Quick Lane in Detroit, The Motor to it city on Dec 26th, midday ESPN

Votes: 27 23.7%

• Total voters

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
To help influence your vote in this completely biased poll - Here is my photo of a large Northwestern contingent the last time the Wildcats played at a City by the (San Francisco) Bay.

DSC_0639_zpsc2a16983.jpg

Per HailtoPurple.com : "The banners fly in front of an impressive large group of 'Cat Fans.

Click this link for a complete set of photos with GoUPurple's narrative at HailtoPurple.com from the NU vs. CAL Game (some of which are selected below.)

Look for Carr (#89) with Coach Fitz in the below photo captioned, "Fire up, 'Cats!"
at his first game in which he was suited up, does anyone recall if he got on the field?

http://hailtopurple.com/av/photos2013_cal.html

Photo Gallery:
The 2013 Cal Game
as seen by Alaskanwildcat
Below are selected photos taken by Alaskanwildcat of the 2013 Cal game, a 44-30 Wildcat victory. As always, many thanks to Alaska for his great photos!

DSCN6755_zpsf01336bd.jpg

NAA's tailgate

DSCN6769_zps9ee70f56.jpg

Dr. Phillips with his posse

DSCN6773_zps8b49482d.jpg

Phillips, as seen on the tailgate's big screen

DSC_0028_zps1b8da7ab.jpg

Mark moves for a gap

DSC_0067_zpsb86602f9.jpg

The Bears, on the move

DSC_0162_zps0d28d033.jpg

The coach confers with the officials...

DSC_0174_zps5e6662e9.jpg
.and with Colter, as President Schapiro paces nearby

DSC_0186_zpsab4a2899.jpg

Mark takes another carry

DSC_0234_zpsecc0eb37.jpg

Option play

DSC_0284_zpsfa932e47.jpg

The Wildcat defense steps up

DSC_0315_zps110d62ca.jpg

Nearing midfield

DSC_0364_zpsde81236e.jpg

Pick Six, Part One: Ellis snags the ball

DSC_0367_zpse2074832.jpg

Part Two: Breakaway

DSC_0372_zps1998be69.jpg

Part Three: Points made

DSC_0472_zpsdf1c9cc2.jpg

White pulls down the carrier on third down

DSC_0503_zps0c12a7c0.jpg

Fire up, 'Cats!

DSC_0831_zpsc26ce658.jpg

Siemian surprises with a run

DSC_0932_1_zpse703ec1b.jpg

As a phalanx of determined-looking cheerleaders look on, Siemian unloads

spacer.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ch23701
Regarding the above pictured Carr wearing #89 in the photo captioned, "Fire up, 'Cats!"

PROPHETIC WORDS REGARDING THE "BEAST" TO BE:

"AUSTIN CARR IS THE BEAST, SOMETHING WE WILL CERTAINLY REMEMBER IF HE EVER DOES ANYTHING FOOTBALL-RELATED,"

Here is a link to the prophetic article from June of 2013 about Austin Carr that was penned back when he finished being redshirted:

http://www.insidenu.com/2013/6/3/4349918/austin-carr-northwestern-wildcats-football-no-89

An excerpt:

" ..... if we have to write profiles of walk-on wide receivers, we have to write profiles of walk-on wide receivers.

Up today: Austin Carr, a 6'1, 195-pounder from Benicia, California. READ ABOUT HIM AND LIKE IT.

Origin myth
Carr is from the Bay Area, and although he's a walk-on, he had some damn nice performances in high school: his high school's team MVP, Carr ran for nearly 1,500 yards, had nearly 900 yards receiving, and combined for 30 touchdowns, good enough to be first-team all conference. He also has some "only in a walk-on's player profile" information:

Also was a finalist in California State Poetry Out Loud Competition and was a school and county champion in the event ... Won Benicia's "Best Lead Actor" award for role as the Beast in "Beauty and the Beast"
That's right: Austin Carr is THE BEAST, something we will certainly remember if he ever does anything football-related

At Northwestern
He done redshirted."

Wow, 20 views in the first 30 minutes and only one vote! Guess I should have added two more categories - "Any of the above" and "None of the above."

(Went back and tried to edit to add, but looks like editing the poll itself is beyond my editing skills.)

I have been to every bowl since the Gary took us to Pasadena. A bowl game is an experience not an event. My worst experience was at the event in Detroit and my best was obviously Pasadena followed twice by San Antonio. My string will be broken if we end up going to another event in Yankee Stadium.

I picked the night game because I think more people are likely to watch a night game but what matters more to me is the opponent.

I just want to win and I don't care who we beat. I'd like a rematch with ISU or any High School team. In one month no one will know who we beat only that we won our bowl game. A win allows us to spin a very tough schedule resulting in a bowl win and a winning season.

I picked Detroit because that's the only game I have a chance to attend. If it's FF, then at least I can watch it on TV. If it's NYC, I can't go to it or watch it on TV because I'll be at work.

Honestly, I'll acknowledge that I'm just glad we're heading to a bowl game...I really didn't think we'd make it past 2-10 this year after our humiliating start.

But man...the situation we find ourselves in now as a program is frustrating:

*Pinstripe - probably the best landing spot in terms of prestige...sit in the freezing cold and pay NYC prices to watch us head into what promises to be a mismatch...I'll guess -9 as the opening line with NU as the dog.

*Foster Farms - probably my personally preferred landing spot, but likely against an opponent who will open as -10 to -12 point favorites...we're basically hoping for Wazzu in prime time...next most likely opponent is Utah. Preliminary searches imply that airfare will be a fortune.

*Detroit - least desirable landing spot by far, but in a dome, dirt cheap to get there and I'd go so far as to say (for the first time ever?) we could head to the bowl game favored against BC or NC State.

I think our team is severely flawed this year, but also think we'd have a fighting shot in the Pinstripe against a very average ACC (mid tier teams). Even Pitt has major flaws on D. We wouldn't stop them but we could win a shoot out. Miami has a new coach, but in the past they have mailed it in on lower tiered bowls. The colder the better if we play them. GA Tech has a few good wins, but other games not so good. BC has looked bad on O.

Stay away from the PAC 10 team, especially Wazzu. They would pass all over us.

I was at the Cal game and loved the atmosphere, but vote for ....Pinstripe Bowl-- surprise. About 25 minutes from my house. Agree that Manhattan ( a short under or subway ride from the Bronx ) in Dec. can be magical.

Reactions: pymvpymv
If NU had defeated Minny then the bowl game might have been here in SD with the Holiday Bowl against a PAC12 opponent. That loss cost me a lunch to my Minny grad buddy. Damn those pesky rodents! Just glad we beat up on the Illini and made it to a bowl game.

NYC- no,
Detroit- hell no,
SF- maybe.

Reactions: rmndcat
i voted for the Pinstripe. This has been the best baseball year of my lifetime and finishing it with the Wildcats at legendary Yankee Stadium (even the new one) would be just perfect. And as my daughter in the marching band likes to say "The cold never bothered me anyway." QuickLane would be okay only because it's an easy trip. Foster Farms might cause me to miss the first NU bowl game of my life. Just too far to fly, but I'll be watching from my comfy shmumfy couch.

Reactions: ricko654321
i voted for the Pinstripe. This has been the best baseball year of my lifetime and finishing it with the Wildcats at legendary Yankee Stadium (even the new one) would be just perfect. And as my daughter in the marching band likes to say "The cold never bothered me anyway." QuickLane would be okay only because it's an easy trip. Foster Farms might cause me to miss the first NU bowl game of my life. Just too far to fly, but I'll be watching from my comfy shmumfy couch.
True the time needed and the cost of flying to SF, especially around the holidays makes the FF Bowl out for me. I'd also like to be able to say that I was in Yankee Stadium and my better half loves NYC, it's shopping and in fact lived there few years.

Reactions: ricko654321
Nice pictures, Alaska. That was a really fun game. Who would have guessed that Ellis would have two pick six TDs in one game? So much fun, particularly seeing Michael Wilbon high fiving fans in the stands afterwards, then the long walk back down the hill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This is my preferred destination but I want the Stanford matchup.

Pinstripe is an ESPN game. Foster Farms is on FS1. (Edit: Foster Farms is on Fox. Regular Fox. Broadcast Fox.)

I prefer coverage on a station people watch. I voted pinstripe. (Edit: I don't think you catch casual fans on Fox. In my opinion, ESPN matters more than primetime Fox among sports fans.)

None of the three are driveable for me, so my own attendance isn't a consideration.

Last edited:
Of the three most likely bowls, which is your personal preference?

1. *
    Foster Farms in Santa Clara, a City by the (San Francisco) Bay on Dec 28th evening FOX
    41 vote(s)
    36.6%

2. Pinstripe in NYC, so nice they named it twice on Dec 28th midday ESPN
    45 vote(s)
    40.2%

3. Quick Lane in Detroit, The Motor to it city on Dec 26th, midday ESPN
    26 vote(s)
    23.2%

THIS JUST IN!

JILL STEIN HAS JUST DEMANDED A RECOUNT IN MICHIGAN on behalf of the Quick Lane to Detroit voters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT