ADVERTISEMENT

Question of the bye week: did the Cats beat a bad team or a not so bad one?

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
How much the Cats’ win last Saturday means beyond the immediate gratification it generated is determined by whether the win was over a bad, middling or strong team.
Before the game, I thought, Scott Frost notwithstanding, they were probably a strong team. They took in some talented skill players on offense, had a defense that actually looked pretty good last year and got some transfers to shore up weak spots, and brought in an OC with a proven track record.
After the game, the question remains, are they any good?

I think the answer is a resounding maybe, but the vultures circling over Scott Frost may make it impossible to know for sure.
I think three predominant themes ran through the game Saturday, none of which are answerable until each team plays a few more games.

The first was that the Cats’ Oline totally dominated Nebby’s front seven. This may mean that the Cats’ have an exceptional group that can top most teams, or that the Huskers’ front is really weak.

The second is that after looking almost unstoppable the first quarter of the game, the Nebraska offense stopped except for three non-normative plays: the 11 second scramble, the unforced NU PI, and the long broken field TD run. The key point was that both times Nebraska took a double-digit lead, they showed no ability at all to control the ball or the clock. The unanswered questions are whether NU’s defense was strong and its adjustments stymied Whipple’s group, or if was something of a shakedown cruise, and their game plan was so focused on beating the Cats through passing that they didn’t have a running game drawn up to counter the Cats’ adjustments, or whether they just don’t have the personnel to run the ball, and any team with a DC who has a bran brain and a reasonably competent back seven will thwart them?

Finally, were the breakdowns Nebraska had, like the blown safety coverage on Niro’s TD a first game thing, or are the players Frost brought in physically gifted but flawed in their ability to execute? If the answer is the former, NU caught a break playing them early. If it is the latter, it will be a really long season in Lincoln.

In all honesty, absent the yardstick of comparative competition, I think Nebraska is a bad team with some good skill position players, which would at least make the Cats a team that can exploit opponents’ weaknesses. As the season progresses, I guess we will see.

Nebraska is NOT a bad team. They are going to put up some points this year. They will be competitive. The question once again is: Can they start winning the close games that keep getting away? Will Frost lose the team if they don't? Their schedule is much more favorable than it has been in the past (They've had six straight years of playing Ohio State).

We won't find out much about them playing North Dakota and Georgia Southern. I would guess that they are a mid-pack B1G west team.

I do think the Nebraksa offense will be pretty good and will look unstoppable when "on" and fall off at other times (WR drops, balls thrown behind guys, timing off).

Reactions: Hungry Jack
We won't find out much about them playing North Dakota and Georgia Southern. I would guess that they are a mid-pack B1G west team.

I do think the Nebraksa offense will be pretty good and will look unstoppable when "on" and fall off at other times (WR drops, balls thrown behind guys, timing off).

If they can't get their running game going and keep defenses honest, Nebraska will be in whole heap of trouble this year. Perhaps their fans are now starting to realize the advantages that a dynamic running QB like Martinez creates even with all his other shortcomings (By the way I think Martinez will have a very big year for Kansas State). Without the threat of a running QB to deal with, the holes for Nebraska's backs got smaller and closed more quickly. Making them one dimensional and enabling opposing defenses to focus on making Thompson uncomfortable is a losing formula for Nebraska.

How much the Cats’ win last Saturday means beyond the immediate gratification it generated is determined by whether the win was over a bad, middling or strong team.
Before the game, I thought, Scott Frost notwithstanding, they were probably a strong team. They took in some talented skill players on offense, had a defense that actually looked pretty good last year and got some transfers to shore up weak spots, and brought in an OC with a proven track record.

I think the answer is a resounding maybe, but the vultures circling over Scott Frost may make it impossible to know for sure.
I think three predominant themes ran through the game Saturday, none of which are answerable until each team plays a few more games.

The first was that the Cats’ Oline totally dominated Nebby’s front seven. This may mean that the Cats’ have an exceptional group that can top most teams, or that the Huskers’ front is really weak.

The second is that after looking almost unstoppable the first quarter of the game, the Nebraska offense stopped except for three non-normative plays: the 11 second scramble, the unforced NU PI, and the long broken field TD run. The key point was that both times Nebraska took a double-digit lead, they showed no ability at all to control the ball or the clock. The unanswered questions are whether NU’s defense was strong and its adjustments stymied Whipple’s group, or if was something of a shakedown cruise, and their game plan was so focused on beating the Cats through passing that they didn’t have a running game drawn up to counter the Cats’ adjustments, or whether they just don’t have the personnel to run the ball, and any team with a DC who has a bran brain and a reasonably competent back seven will thwart them?

Finally, were the breakdowns Nebraska had, like the blown safety coverage on Niro’s TD a first game thing, or are the players Frost brought in physically gifted but flawed in their ability to execute? If the answer is the former, NU caught a break playing them early. If it is the latter, it will be a really long season in Lincoln.

In all honesty, absent the yardstick of comparative competition, I think Nebraska is a bad team with some good skill position players, which would at least make the Cats a team that can exploit opponents’ weaknesses. As the season progresses, I guess we will see.
Interesting points. The jury is still out and will be for a few weeks. They have talent but the transfers have only played one game together. Thompson losing his TE was a big hit and he started missing his receivers, but he'll need to make the necessary adjustments going forward. With Whipple as OC and a not so great OL, they'll live or die by the pass. Think our DL will be far better than advertised if we can stay injury free and Gold gets back on the field in a few weeks.

It is hard to determine if they are going to be a good team or not, but I think it was beneficial that we played them early in the year before all of their new coaches and transfers have adjusted.

I think Neb will have a frustrating season with QB Thompson. He looked like a Heisman candidate in the first half, but was very mediocre to poor in the second half when we turned up the pressure. I suspect he'll do well against the FCS teams but will come back to earth against Okie. Although last year as the Texas QB he had a career game against Okie, passing 20-34 for 388 yds, 5 TD, 0 INT. We made him look ordinary in the second half.

It is hard to determine if they are going to be a good team or not, but I think it was beneficial that we played them early in the year before all of their new coaches and transfers have adjusted.
On the contrary, Fitz was saying before the game that we really didn't have any film on how Whipple and Frost would implement their offense, along with a lot of new personnel, so actually Neb had a slight advantage to start the game. We played very vanilla defense early on and they carved us up until we made some good adjustments to rescue the game. So it works both ways.

Nebraska has lost 9 of the last 10 B1G games they have played. Destroyed Northwestern last season to turn around to open with the 31-28 loss in Dublin.

Northwestern is improved. Nebraska has plenty to play for, but Kirk Herbstreit was likely wrong on picking the Huskers in the race for the Big Ten West.

Clearly, Scott Frost isn't a P5 level head coach.

"As the season progresses, I guess we will see." The Northwestern Fan Mantra. :cool:

Is there a sanscrit translation--"Um padda manna wanna, naa"?

Last edited:
Thompson is an excellent QB. And a very bright, articulate and thoughtful young guy. Nebraska is pretty good and will win lots of games. That was a good W for NU on Saturday.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
The fact we got destroyed by a bad 3-9 Neb last year is an indictment of our coaches and players. Hopefully we turn it around this year and do the weird even-year Fitz renaissance.

I don’t think you can overreact to week 1. We’ve seen the Cats lose games to Illinois State early and turn in pretty good seasons.

Observations on Nebraska:

1) They have two stud receivers that are very tough to cover

2) They have a big tight end who is a matchup nightmare

3) They have a stud running back

4) They have a veteran QB who can move an offense

5) They have an OC who is proven

The fact we got destroyed by a bad 3-9 Neb last year is an indictment of our coaches and players. Hopefully we turn it around this year and do the weird even-year Fitz renaissance.
Every other year is fine with me, if it is a progression upward overall.

I don’t think you can overreact to week 1. We’ve seen the Cats lose games to Illinois State early and turn in pretty good seasons.

Observations on Nebraska:

1) They have two stud receivers that are very tough to cover

2) They have a big tight end who is a matchup nightmare

3) They have a stud running back

4) They have a veteran QB who can move an offense

5) They have an OC who is proven
That's what I saw also. The question is, can they be a team? NU clearly won the "Team Award" on Saturday.

Nebraska still looks like a 6 win team to me right now. I think they'll find 3-4 wins in their Big Ten schedule.

We should be a 6-8 win team but we have a more difficult schedule than them; for us getting through the next 3 without a loss is key.

North Dakota hanging with them for three quarters doesn't scream "Nebraska powerhouse" to me. We shall see.
It will be interesting to see if that final quarter evidenced the team finally coming together. Frost may well be on the way to seeing the jigsaw puzzle pieces form a cohesive picture.

Reactions: rmndcat
Nebraska certainly has talent at the offensive skill positions. And it is hard to argue they don't have speed in the back 7 and athleticism all around. But we all know what happens when your play along the LoS is not so good.

I have no idea whom to favor in the West. Probably Wiscy until I see the otherwise. It just might be the Cats, but I need to see more out of our front 7.

Nebraska certainly has talent at the offensive skill positions. And it is hard to argue they don't have speed in the back 7 and athleticism all around. But we all know what happens when your play along the LoS is not so good.

I have no idea whom to favor in the West. Probably Wiscy until I see the otherwise. It just might be the Cats, but I need to see more out of our front 7.
My prognostication at the moment is the West is between Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota, depending on who beats who among these three head on..

Also, Wisconsin plays OSU and Michigan State (and us) and Minnesota plays Michigan State (and us).

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
My prognostication at the moment is the West is between Wisconsin, Northwestern and Minnesota, depending on who beats who among these three head on..

Also, Wisconsin plays OSU and Michigan State (and us) and Minnesota plays Michigan State (and us).
MSU not impressive in their first game. Minny could be tough but we'll see how they respond after getting punched in the mouth. NU just needs to take care of business in noncon and then we can do some damage in conference play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT