ADVERTISEMENT

Prioritizing disgruntlement after Saturday’s debacle

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Having finished my annual meltdown as the Cats lost to a team they should have dominated and looked terrible doing it, I figured I would focus on the things that were most horrifying and try to figure if they can be fixed this year.
A few things have to be stipulated. The team was not ready to play, nor were they specifically well prepared for SIU. While this pisses me off, it is not cosmic, as football coaches and teams have fallen into thinking a lower regarded team will be easy as long as there has been football. I also want to not pay much attention to the breakdowns in the secondary, as the depth chart was plumbed and previous experience limited. Some of the run defense misfits, I think, can be attributed to this. I also thought the DLine played well enough. The points where O Line failed were largely game prep failures.
So three things really were horrifying to me, all of which have been noted by others, but in a way, are at the crux of the disappointment and anxiety over coaching.

The first is the inability of the linebackers as a unit to recognize and execute their assignments on option based plays. Saturday was a highlight reel of failure to account for tight ends over the middle after committing to a run option, of failing to recognize or of overrunning a gap assignment, and of failing to secure the edge. These problems showed up in the first two games, but it appears the SIU OC actually watched game film of the Cats and exploited the weaknesses mercilessly.

The second was the absolute loss of game presence by Hilinski starting about 20 minutes into the game, and continuing until the last TD drive, where he seemed to regain his composure. His play reminded me of a baseball pitcher who loses the plate, screws up his mechanics and throws about 15 straight balls. He couldn’t throw a decent pass to save his soul, and as his accuracy deteriorated, his concentration on reading the defense disappeared. It is rare to see a QB play that badly.

The third was the loss of concentration on key plays by the running backs. Hull’s fumble and Porter’s spectacular double breakdown on the sack and fumble play were brutal. Porter has been, to my eyes, a little unfocused each of the first three games. Hull may be fatigued or suffering from hero syndrome, but losing the ball at critical points at the end of two otherwise very successful runs is really disconcerting.

The third item is eminently fixable, and I do expect it to be fixed by the PSU game. I also think Porter is the key cog. While he has had numerous breakdowns, he still appears to me to be a stronger downhill runner than Hull. I think using him as such, and having him be the first down back rather than rotating possessions (Hull 2 for every 1 Porter gets or so) would get him back in the game, save Hull a little for second and third downs, and possibly both rest Hull and get Porter’s head back in the game. I hope the coaches recognize this and salvage Porter’s season(and maybe his career as a Wildcat).

Hilinski’s meltdown, to me, was triggered mentally, but was devastating because of his tendency to lapse into really bad mechanics. The mechanics and mental checkout were a brutal feedback loop. Bajakian (and Fitz) have a big evaluation to make. I think when Hilinski is prepared and confident, he gets on top of his game and lessens the number of times he gets out of whack and makes terrible throws (leading to horrendous reads). The coaches need to decide if Saturday was a one off or something they think will recur when the offense falls off game plan and make a decision to either commit to Ryan or to pull him. I hope they decide it was a one off, and that they are right. If they wrongly think it was a one off, the season is going to be a repeat of Saturday at least five or six times, which would be awful. On the other hand, if they commit to Sullivan, I think the QB play the next two weeks is liable to be very shaky, and the rest of the season will largely be a rebuilding project.

Finally, I think the linebacker problem is the biggest. I really don’t think the current crop has the physical chops or the mental understanding to execute their responsibilities, and something needs to change schematically in a hurry to compensate for it. I remember noting before last year that I was not too worried about turnover at LB (incorrectly) because having watched Hank’s defenses, the responsibilities of the individual LB’s were pretty straight forward both physically and from a recognition standpoint. For worse or better, that is not the case in JON’s design to my eyes, and since there is no way to physically transform the players, and since they clearly have not mastered their responsibilities in three games, the only real alternative is to simplify the scheme to make use of them in some constructive way. I do think, assuming the large number of injured DBs are cleared to play soon, transferring more responsibility onto th DBs for run support and coverage of tight ends could paper over the problem, but it will leave the defense very vulnerable to getting beat deep often. The defense this year is not going to really good. It is possible it might be adequate.

Fitz is the boss, and he faces a pretty formidable challenge. He needs to get both coordinators to make hard decisions where the wrong decision will accelerate the spiral the Cats are starting. The next two games will be interesting for showing if they are up to the challenge as a coaching group. While he makes me crazy at times, I would not count out Fitz, and by inference, the Cats, yet this season.

Having finished my annual meltdown as the Cats lost to a team they should have dominated and looked terrible doing it, I figured I would focus on the things that were most horrifying and try to figure if they can be fixed this year.
A few things have to be stipulated. The team was not ready to play, nor were they specifically well prepared for SIU. While this pisses me off, it is not cosmic, as football coaches and teams have fallen into thinking a lower regarded team will be easy as long as there has been football. I also want to not pay much attention to the breakdowns in the secondary, as the depth chart was plumbed and previous experience limited. Some of the run defense misfits, I think, can be attributed to this. I also thought the DLine played well enough. The points where O Line failed were largely game prep failures.
So three things really were horrifying to me, all of which have been noted by others, but in a way, are at the crux of the disappointment and anxiety over coaching.

The first is the inability of the linebackers as a unit to recognize and execute their assignments on option based plays. Saturday was a highlight reel of failure to account for tight ends over the middle after committing to a run option, of failing to recognize or of overrunning a gap assignment, and of failing to secure the edge. These problems showed up in the first two games, but it appears the SIU OC actually watched game film of the Cats and exploited the weaknesses mercilessly.

The second was the absolute loss of game presence by Hilinski starting about 20 minutes into the game, and continuing until the last TD drive, where he seemed to regain his composure. His play reminded me of a baseball pitcher who loses the plate, screws up his mechanics and throws about 15 straight balls. He couldn’t throw a decent pass to save his soul, and as his accuracy deteriorated, his concentration on reading the defense disappeared. It is rare to see a QB play that badly.

The third was the loss of concentration on key plays by the running backs. Hull’s fumble and Porter’s spectacular double breakdown on the sack and fumble play were brutal. Porter has been, to my eyes, a little unfocused each of the first three games. Hull may be fatigued or suffering from hero syndrome, but losing the ball at critical points at the end of two otherwise very successful runs is really disconcerting.

The third item is eminently fixable, and I do expect it to be fixed by the PSU game. I also think Porter is the key cog. While he has had numerous breakdowns, he still appears to me to be a stronger downhill runner than Hull. I think using him as such, and having him be the first down back rather than rotating possessions (Hull 2 for every 1 Porter gets or so) would get him back in the game, save Hull a little for second and third downs, and possibly both rest Hull and get Porter’s head back in the game. I hope the coaches recognize this and salvage Porter’s season(and maybe his career as a Wildcat).

Hilinski’s meltdown, to me, was triggered mentally, but was devastating because of his tendency to lapse into really bad mechanics. The mechanics and mental checkout were a brutal feedback loop. Bajakian (and Fitz) have a big evaluation to make. I think when Hilinski is prepared and confident, he gets on top of his game and lessens the number of times he gets out of whack and makes terrible throws (leading to horrendous reads). The coaches need to decide if Saturday was a one off or something they think will recur when the offense falls off game plan and make a decision to either commit to Ryan or to pull him. I hope they decide it was a one off, and that they are right. If they wrongly think it was a one off, the season is going to be a repeat of Saturday at least five or six times, which would be awful. On the other hand, if they commit to Sullivan, I think the QB play the next two weeks is liable to be very shaky, and the rest of the season will largely be a rebuilding project.

Finally, I think the linebacker problem is the biggest. I really don’t think the current crop has the physical chops or the mental understanding to execute their responsibilities, and something needs to change schematically in a hurry to compensate for it. I remember noting before last year that I was not too worried about turnover at LB (incorrectly) because having watched Hank’s defenses, the responsibilities of the individual LB’s were pretty straight forward both physically and from a recognition standpoint. For worse or better, that is not the case in JON’s design to my eyes, and since there is no way to physically transform the players, and since they clearly have not mastered their responsibilities in three games, the only real alternative is to simplify the scheme to make use of them in some constructive way. I do think, assuming the large number of injured DBs are cleared to play soon, transferring more responsibility onto th DBs for run support and coverage of tight ends could paper over the problem, but it will leave the defense very vulnerable to getting beat deep often. The defense this year is not going to really good. It is possible it might be adequate.

Fitz is the boss, and he faces a pretty formidable challenge. He needs to get both coordinators to make hard decisions where the wrong decision will accelerate the spiral the Cats are starting. The next two games will be interesting for showing if they are up to the challenge as a coaching group. While he makes me crazy at times, I would not count out Fitz, and by inference, the Cats, yet this season.
Agreed on pretty much all of this. The LBs were absolutely horrible in coverage and on making reads on the option plays. I'm sure having the backups in the secondary didn't help, but it seemed to me that is was LB responsibilities that were on the hook for the majority of the bad pass beats. I thought 10 Theran Johnson was decent and 13 Hollis played a mixed game with some good and some bad. Safeties were also up and down, does anyone know when Coco is potentially going to return? He should help. But the LBs in coverage and on reading play action were by far the biggest issue on D, it was ugly.

On offense agree this was not a good game for Hilinski. An equal opportunity mix of bad reads and off-target throws. Not great. Hopefully he can figure out a way to regain his form from the Nebraska game because we are going to need it if the middle of our defense keeps playing like that.

Great job

In my mind even if half of the injured players had been available for Saturday's game we would have won it. Heck, the same is true for the Duke game if just Coco had been able to contribute. Both games were one score losses.

From a glass half full perspective I hypothesize that giving the injured players more time to fully recover before we return to Big Ten play was in the cards.

In his WGN post game comments, Coach stated, "We have all of our goals ahead of us."

One good way to lose to teams you are favored to beat is turning the ball over.We have had 7 turnovers our last 2 games.So in close games which all of our games have been so far that turns the tide.We also had 1 costly turnover vs Nebby.
As far as our D goes I will just concentrate on the LB's.They must play better,and that is why as I brought up in another thread unless he is injured I am surprised we have not seen the transfer from Pitt,Davis out there.He has experience and came with high marks from Randy Bates.

In my mind even if half of the injured players had been available for Saturday's game we would have won it. Heck, the same is true for the Duke game if just Coco had been able to contribute. Both games were one score losses.

From a glass half full perspective I hypothesize that giving the injured players more time to fully recover before we return to Big Ten play was in the cards.

In his WGN post game comments, Coach stated, "We have all of our goals ahead of us."
Winning the game is not the point, how they win is the point.

Hilinski has zero touch. If he can’t learn how to throw every pass and not just a howitzer every time he lets it loose he won’t get better.

Hilinski has zero touch. If he can’t learn how to throw every pass and not just a howitzer every time he lets it loose he won’t get better.
He has some touch. His screen passes were very effective the first two games, and those are nearly entirely “touch” passes.

The entire offense sucked after we went up 14-7 against SIU. Hilinksi can still win us games. I don’t think going to the backup would have won us that game, nor will it turn the tide the rest of the way. Hilinski is our best QB by a wide margin right now.

Agreed on pretty much all of this. The LBs were absolutely horrible in coverage and on making reads on the option plays. I'm sure having the backups in the secondary didn't help, but it seemed to me that is was LB responsibilities that were on the hook for the majority of the bad pass beats. I thought 10 Theran Johnson was decent and 13 Hollis played a mixed game with some good and some bad. Safeties were also up and down, does anyone know when Coco is potentially going to return? He should help. But the LBs in coverage and on reading play action were by far the biggest issue on D, it was ugly.

On offense agree this was not a good game for Hilinski. An equal opportunity mix of bad reads and off-target throws. Not great. Hopefully he can figure out a way to regain his form from the Nebraska game because we are going to need it if the middle of our defense keeps playing like that.
Both of the TE touchdown receptions by SIU looked like breakdowns of some sort by most of our back 7. Not that the DL got much pressure…

Hell, two players were open in the back of the endzone on the second easy TD pass to SIU’s 43. And the first long TD clearly left our MLB on an island with a TE with no safety support in what looked like busted Cover 1 Man coverage.

Our LBs took the blame, but I suspect all of the injuries in the secondary hurt us deeply. Hopefully we have enough players healthy to beat Miami and we get even healthier for Ped State.

Maybe we should can Bajakian and hire the SIU OC.

We should can JON and hire anyone.

Reactions: ricko654321
Yeah, that’s just what we needed, an exercise in futility.
I don't understand your comment. It was clear to everyone watching that Hilinski's efforts on Saturday were futile. I realize that we don't have an awesome, ready-to-be-the-starter back-up, but what's the harm in giving another guy a shot?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT