ADVERTISEMENT

Probably lose regardless but...

The blocked FGs offset. The long missed FG was no guaranteed points but let’s say we’d have gotten 3 eventually if we’d converted. And not given up the TD before halftime or the safety. That’s 13-6.

Fumble inside the 5, safety, blocked FG and trying a too-long FG on 4th and 2. Would have been a lot closer.
Don’t forget the play-killing penalties by the OL

Wasn't there a dropped interception when Wisconsin was in the red zone? And other dropped stuff. Oh, and the face mask penalty.

I hated that Lausch didn't scramble and threw an incomplete pass on 2nd and 2, two plays before the long field-goal attempt (maybe I'm mixing up two sequences). He probably could have had six or seven yards up the middle, easy. Instead he threw a bad pass.

There are a lot of mistakes to go around today. NU had no chance in the Washington game, but if they had played just a bit cleaner today, it could've at least been interesting.

And an illegal procedure at a critical point in the red zone by the usual TE suspect. You can expect a minimum of one drive killer in the red zone by this player every game.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Lausch has a lot of tools to like, but he needs to improve his throwing on the run. He missed some wide open throws, particularly while scrambling. If he can improve his accuracy in the next year or so, we will have some good years with him at the helm.

Fumble inside the 5, safety, blocked FG and trying a too-long FG on 4th and 2. Would have been a lot closer.
The game was close in terms of the back and forth into late but we blew golden opportunities to get points when we had them and also gave them the disastrous freebie. Competitive game otherwise. Our offense really died off in the fourth, but we shot ourselves in the foot up until then

And an illegal procedure at a critical point in the red zone by the usual TE suspect. You can expect a minimum of one drive killer in the red zone by this player every game.
Say his name. These are big boys. I don’t care if they read the board. They have a right to be criticized. In this case… Thomas Gordon #87

And, a face mask penalty on a DL on what otherwise would have been 3rd and 9 on a Whisky scoring drive.

Lausch has a lot of tools to like, but he needs to improve his throwing on the run. He missed some wide open throws, particularly while scrambling. If he can improve his accuracy in the next year or so, we will have some good years with him at the helm.
Lausch is still a work in progress. His biggest problem is the speed of processing his reads. There were actually people open in this game, but he was too late in recognizing this.

Reactions: KappaKat
Say his name. These are big boys. I don’t care if they read the board. They have a right to be criticized. In this case… Thomas Gordon #87
He was our leading receiver today with 4 catches but also had one wide open drop that helped doomed a drive.

Lausch is still a work in progress. His biggest problem is the speed of processing his reads. There were actually people open in this game, but he was too late in recognizing this.
My observation is that he is being coached to only read a quarter of the field. He never climbs to read the middle. He slides out of the pocket, looking for his pre-snap determined target whom he locks on at the snap. On one play in the third when we were 3rd &6, I believe, he attempted to throw a go route. However, Wisconsin knew that this was the target and aggressively jammed that receiver and the ball was thrown 15 yards ahead of the line receiver. In the second half, I saw a Wisconsin defense that decided to "identify" the predetermined target and take it away by jamming or quickly bringing the safety over and bringing pressure to the QB's face. I afraid that teams have identified this weakness and will increasingly make passing the ball more difficult for us. The coaches have to get him to, at the least, read half the field. We have to threaten the defense in the middle of the field.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
My observation is that he is being coached to only read a quarter of the field. He never climbs to read the middle. He slides out of the pocket, looking for his pre-snap determined target whom he locks on at the snap. On one play in the third when we were 3rd &6, I believe, he attempted to throw a go route. However, Wisconsin knew that this was the target and aggressively jammed that receiver and the ball was thrown 15 yards ahead of the line receiver. In the second half, I saw a Wisconsin defense that decided to "identify" the predetermined target and take it away by jamming or quickly bringing the safety over and bringing pressure to the QB's face. I afraid that teams have identified this weakness and will increasingly make passing the ball more difficult for us. The coaches have to get him to, at the least, read half the field. We have to threaten the defense in the middle of the field.
Also our guys aren’t scary down the field for a good defense like Wisconsin and so you can just name them and play downhill

If he can improve his accuracy in the next year or so, we will have some good years with him
Guy is in his 3rd year and, reportedly, made HUGE improvements to get to this level. Maybe he's just Mike Wright. (Fast and inaccurate).

Do we really have to continue to lose to "develop" a questionable talent that might be good for one year (2026?)

I don't know the answer (develop or go to portal) but I am not paid millions to make such decisions

Guy is in his 3rd year and, reportedly, made HUGE improvements to get to this level. Maybe he's just Mike Wright. (Fast and inaccurate).

Do we really have to continue to lose to "develop" a questionable talent that might be good for one year (2026?)

I don't know the answer (develop or go to portal) but I am not paid millions to make such decisions
It would sure help Braun if the Administration gave a flying **** about competing at this level.

It would sure help Braun if the Administration gave a flying **** about competing at this level.
Why do you want to win with lowering standards? That will cheapen our wins. When you’re doing it the right way, as we do and always will, thankfully, our wins means a whole lot more.

As I’ve said before, I’m a longtime non-alum NU fan. My grandpa and grandma had season tickets for over 50+ after settling down initially in Evanston and then Glenview. They taught me, rightfully, that NU did things the right way and while we would have a lot of “lean” years they would have some great ones too and those would be celebrated even more because of how they had to come together - i.e. real students, held to high standards, not cheating.

Why do you want to win with lowering standards? That will cheapen our wins. When you’re doing it the right way, as we do and always will, thankfully, our wins means a whole lot more.

As I’ve said before, I’m a longtime non-alum NU fan. My grandpa and grandma had season tickets for over 50+ after settling down initially in Evanston and then Glenview. They taught me, rightfully, that NU did things the right way and while we would have a lot of “lean” years they would have some great ones too and those would be celebrated even more because of how they had to come together - i.e. real students, held to high standards, not cheating.
The administration could let the rope out a little and give Braun 4-5 spots for guys that are borderline but would not normally get in (for what it’s worth, the Ivy League does this). If they 4-5 guys they bring in each year do not graduate or cause problems, you can bring the rope in. This should not be controversial.

The administration could let the rope out a little and give Braun 4-5 spots for guys that are borderline but would not normally get in (for what it’s worth, the Ivy League does this). If they 4-5 guys they bring in each year do not graduate or cause problems, you can bring the rope in. This should not be controversial.
I agree, but someone will immediately point out, nonsensically of course, that the Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships.

I agree, but someone will immediately point out, nonsensically of course, that the Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships.
No athletic scholarship but lots of need based aid. There was an article in NYT that detailed the whole process. Most schools use the looser standards for football. When Harvard hired Amaker, they used them for hoops. And wouldn’t you know it, Harvard won the ivy 5 years in a row.

No athletic scholarship but lots of need based aid. There was an article in NYT that detailed the whole process. Most schools use the looser standards for football. When Harvard hired Amaker, they used them for hoops. And wouldn’t you know it, Harvard won the ivy 5 years in a row.
Yep, that's the Ivy League's official stance, but if you believe that any of these athletic stars are paying anything to go to Harvard or Princeton, or any others in the Ivys, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you in Brooklyn!

I believe some kids just don’t have the mentorship in HS and before to score well on tests. I believe with the resources that would be afforded them at a NU, they would have an excellent chance at life changing formative years. Isn’t that a major component of the mission statement? Some just don’t have the advantage of growing up in Glenview. They are shunned the opportunity because bureaucrats in the Ivory tower don’t THINK they can make it in their highly esteemed university.

Reactions: TheC and No Chores
I believe some kids just don’t have the mentorship in HS and before to score well on tests. I believe with the resources that would be afforded them at a NU, they would have an excellent chance at life changing formative years. Isn’t that a major component of the mission statement? Some just don’t have the advantage of growing up in Glenview. They are shunned the opportunity because bureaucrats in the Ivory tower don’t THINK they can make it in their highly esteemed university.
I mean you have to have some objective way of measuring success, which is what standardize tests are. What are you suggesting to measure these “in betweens”?

I mean you have to have some objective way of measuring success, which is what standardize tests are. What are you suggesting to measure these “in betweens”?
As far as Admissions, if they are a gifted athlete, let them at the NCAA minimum. It has never been proven, that they can’t handle it. Never. If they are a gifted, musician or Actor, same deal. It should not be a one size fits all admission process. It’s arrogance at its best!

Again, in this new era, schools no longer can treat athletes in most sports as slave labor. It is now incumbent on the athlete to actually take advantage of the “break” they were given by admissions. If they don’t, with these resources it is on them. I am not a key dangler fan.

Also, I could care less if NU’s academic rating is 8th or 15th, means nothing to me. Churn out productive people, that’s more impressive.

Reactions: TheC
DEI for Jocks is valid and necessary. Notify the Provost.

• Haha
Reactions: Baz=Heisman
As far as Admissions, if they are a gifted athlete, let them at the NCAA minimum. It has never been proven, that they can’t handle it. Never. If they are a gifted, musician or Actor, same deal. It should not be a one size fits all admission process. It’s arrogance at its best!

Again, in this new era, schools no longer can treat athletes in most sports as slave labor. It is now incumbent on the athlete to actually take advantage of the “break” they were given by admissions. If they don’t, with these resources it is on them. I am not a key dangler fan.

Also, I could care less if NU’s academic rating is 8th or 15th, means nothing to me. Churn out productive people, that’s more impressive.
Absolutely not. NCAA minimums are 18 ACT/2.0 GPA. Those guys, almost always, are complete morons. You know how dumb you have to be to just get an 18 on your ACT? Also, if you go that route there’s no way you would actually kick anyone out for not cutting the mustard. Would be a PR nightmare. So keep the standards and then you don’t have to worry about it.

Absolutely not. NCAA minimums are 18 ACT/2.0 GPA. Those guys, almost always, are complete morons. You know how dumb you have to be to just get an 18 on your ACT? Also, if you go that route there’s no way you would actually kick anyone out for not cutting the mustard. Would be a PR nightmare. So keep the standards and then you don’t have to worry about it.
Dude, I got a 19 on the ACT. I had no idea how to take the test. I made it through question 42 on English out of 75. I think that resulted in a 12 on English. I grew up until my teen years in an area where I was more concerned about getting home safely than I was about reading Hamlet. I was not a moron.

When I was recruited for a non-revenue sport, there wasn’t a single school that wouldn’t admit me. In fact, I said I would re-take the test and it wasn’t necessary. I graduated in 4 years, never had tutoring or any extra help. I worked 40 years in my field of study and at times has graduates of NU, ND and other prestigious institutions working for me. I guarantee you with my background I wasn’t going to a 4 year college of any type without athletics. I needed a structure and more importantly an opportunity.

Personally, I have no sympathy for an athlete that doesn’t put in the effort to succeed academically. I would cut them in a heartbeat if they weren’t cutting the mustard. That’s part of the deal for being accepted without the qualifications of the gen pop. As far as PR, maybe that is what NU is afraid of. They certainly get enough negative PR and the fold like tents whenever they do.

I'd agree that bad testing scores are less indicative of intelligence and more of test-focused quality of education, or lack thereof.
Yeah, it hit a nerve, when people are just cast aside at an early age as being too stupid to ever amount to anything or are deemed unworthy of opportunities that others take for granted.

Reactions: CappyNU
On the flip side of that, I grew up in Glenview as an indifferent student. But by the time I'd graduated high school I was a surprisingly effective test taker with results that far outperformed my actual skills. Super helpful skillset until I got into the "real" world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT