ADVERTISEMENT

Probably old news for Rocksters. Porter decommit

"Northwestern has no fan base and they are one of the worst teams in the Power 5."

Ok, I guess I'd better de-commit.

commit - verb. pledge or bind to a specific course of action or policy
de-commit - verb. to break a promise, to weasel out of an obligation

God made weasels too, but he doesn't like them, Ashton.

This nightmare season keeps getting worse. This program is dying.

Reactions: phatcat
This nightmare season keeps getting worse. This program is dying.
Last time I checked we had 19 recruits that ranked 26th in the nation. NU is a unique school that offers opportunity well beyond football. Saying the program is dying is on the short sighted list of commentary.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
No so much old news, but final confirmation of something we knew was brewing for at least a week, with supposed commit Porter visiting Michigan State last week.

"Northwestern has no fan base and they are one of the worst teams in the Power 5."

It's on the coaches to win games and make this a place that recruits want to be.

Other coaches literally just have to point to our record right now to make the case against us.

That's a problem.

Shut up.

Didn’t Soares on NU’s roster decommit to join NU on Signing Day? Kids owe it to themselves to do what’s right for themselves. NU will be increasingly less ‘right’ as the season continues.

Reactions: NUCats and phatcat
NCAA has to do something about this.

Player A verbally commit to School A.

School A tells players B, C and D. We have filled our spot, so they go look at other schools recruiting them.

Player A then de-commits, open their recruiting back up and goes to School B.

Players B, c, and D are at other school, Player A is at his new school.

School A is screwed.

If a player de-commits, they should have to sit out a year. Only de- commit that should be valid in if the cache quits School A before starting school.

Last time I checked we had 19 recruits that ranked 26th in the nation. NU is a unique school that offers opportunity well beyond football. Saying the program is dying is on the short sighted list of commentary.
Why would a kid choose potential future opportunity when they can take a big paycheck today?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and phatcat
Shut up.

Didn’t Soares on NU’s roster decommit to join NU on Signing Day? Kids owe it to themselves to do what’s right for themselves. NU will be increasingly less ‘right’ as the season continues.

Why are you being such a baby? We have rules of behavior around here.

I would say that in life, it is more important to be a man of your word than it is to do what is best for you.

But thats me. I don't understand people who only care about themselves and think it is okay to break commitments without having suffered some injury that warrants it, but you do you.

I'm happy where I am.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Why would a kid choose potential future opportunity when they can take a big paycheck today?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Who is going to get what, where and when is the biggest unanswered question in college football today. At NU you get a guaranteed $300,000. education whether you play or not. Now that's a bird in the hand if I have ever seen one. All the other stuff is a lot of speculation.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Who is going to get what, where and when is the biggest unanswered question in college football today. At NU you get a guaranteed $300,000. education whether you play or not. Now that's a bird in the hand if I have ever seen one. All the other stuff is a lot of speculation.
Many on here have argued that it's not worth that at all.

If they want a degree, they can still earn one elsewhere that also puts tens of thousands of dollars in their pocket.

BS. Nobody pays 300k. If their family contribution is 300k over 4 years, the least of their worries is a scholarship. Not to mention, mid tier p5 schools pay something like 50k NIL money a year, plus the alleged value of the scholarship at their school, which equals out.

Mostly, the NU scholarship value is nonsense. Many of these kids are from working class families and would get need based aid that puts the true value at a about the same as a state school.

Looking at NUs full published cost would be like paying full price for a suit at Jo's A Bank

A few years ago, NU’s offer letter was published here, and it led with something about the sticker price.

It’s a terrible message because, for every single student NU is offering, their cost of education will be zero.

I wonder if, in the NIL era, the messaging has changed.

Reactions: Sheffielder
Isn't the NU acceptance rate 7 percent. Athletes get to go to the head of the line and skip the crap.

Remember NIL to 90 percent of the students is minimal a few grand here or there.

Big money goes to the athelete with names, Nike just signed Broney James and Dj Wagner both are in high school so the college doesn't matter.

I also agree it's a 300k education

The play on the field. The win-loss record. The disastrous coaching staff. And now the loss of top recruits. It’s adding up.

Chicken Little says this may be a bit premature, although he also says, "Cock-a-doodle-doo", which in the French translates to "Don't doodle with your cock, until you doo." Time to doo.

• Haha
NCAA has to do something about this.

Player A verbally commit to School A.

School A tells players B, C and D. We have filled our spot, so they go look at other schools recruiting them.

Player A then de-commits, open their recruiting back up and goes to School B.

Players B, c, and D are at other school, Player A is at his new school.

School A is screwed.

If a player de-commits, they should have to sit out a year. Only de- commit that should be valid in if the cache quits School A before starting school.
Well, the best players would probably wait until last minute to commit or not commit at all and simply sign. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: KappaKat
The play on the field. The win-loss record. The disastrous coaching staff. And now the loss of top recruits. It’s adding up.
If you understood anything about the history of Northwestern football and Fitz you would not be posting so negatively about the Cats. Fitz has a pattern of turning things around. My money is on him. I was at the Rose Bowl and every subsequent bowl game except Utah. I was there when we beat (monkey off our back) Mississippi State after losing 9 consecutive bowl games. I went to games from 65-69 when winning was not on the high expectations list. Let's stay positive because NU is a place to be proud of. With a new stadium in the works, I believe we are in for some great years to come with Fitz at the helm.

If you understood anything about the history of Northwestern football and Fitz you would not be posting so negatively about the Cats. Fitz has a pattern of turning things around. My money is on him. I was at the Rose Bowl and every subsequent bowl game except Utah. I was there when we beat (monkey off our back) Mississippi State after losing 9 consecutive bowl games. I went to games from 65-69 when winning was not on the high expectations list. Let's stay positive because NU is a place to be proud of. With a new stadium in the works, I believe we are in for some great years to come with Fitz at the helm.
I wish I had your optimism, and I especially hope I’m able to carry it into my 8th decade.

They are just embarrassingly uncompetitive, except in case of hurricane.

• Sad
Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin
Isn't the NU acceptance rate 7 percent. Athletes get to go to the head of the line and skip the crap.

Remember NIL to 90 percent of the students is minimal a few grand here or there.

Big money goes to the athelete with names, Nike just signed Broney James and Dj Wagner both are in high school so the college doesn't matter.

I also agree it's a 300k education
But but...admissions standards are killing us!!! How can that be true if they go to the front of the line?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin

DJ Wagner: Gigantic bust, just like his old man. (Career earnings: $8.2 million, despite managing IBS, seriously. Google is amazing.)

I love your dedication to Northwestern football, but especially your pride in the university.
In the consternation about football (or basketball) some people seem to forget that NU is actually an institution of higher education, with very high standards and a 5% acceptance rate.
Its reputation is enhanced by scientific advances, business success and... all those prominent people on television.

We do not want or need to focus on becoming a minor league NFL team, like the entire SEC, except for Vanderbilt.

Riddle me this: If Fitz thinks there is nothing wrong with JON's defensive scheme and that all he needs are bigger and faster players, how are things going to improve when more recruits bail and the Cats are left with 2- and 3-star slower, smaller players?

Ed - you are entitled to your opinion, allowed to have your blind faith but you should respect the same of others. Some don’t elect to blindly trust in fitz. Its their time and money. So folks like you will continue to support and attend while others drop off. If the program can survive without the latter, fine. If not, they need to win that support and attendance back - they aren’t entitled to it simply for existing.

Reactions: drewjin and NUCats
But but...admissions standards are killing us!!! How can that be true if they go to the front of the line?!?!
And they have succeeded in recent past with the same standards in place. But what has changed since the days of winning?

Reactions: drewjin
Ed - you are entitled to your opinion, allowed to have your blind faith but you should respect the same of others. Some don’t elect to blindly trust in fitz. Its their time and money. So folks like you will continue to support and attend while others drop off. If the program can survive without the latter, fine. If not, they need to win that support and attendance back - they aren’t entitled to it simply for existing.
I had to take you off ignore to read this online. You do not need to be the spokesperson for others on this board. It is their right to jump on the bandwagon when the Cats win and off when they lose. They will do that. Nobody asked your opinion. I am sure when the Cats start winning again you will jump back on.

• Haha
The game has changed alot since he took over though and a new stadium doesn't mean jack s$#&. It is very hard not to be pessimistic about the program when it seems that the modern game has passed Fitz by and he seems to be oblivious to it as he seems unconcerned and still wants to play an archaic style of football that only could work today if he had a bunch of 5 star linemen and tailbacks. How many programs have gone from first to worst back to back seasons twice in a row? That isn't the hallmark of a stable program that is going to be a consistent winner. The man surrounds himself with mediocrity and expects to win? None of his hires with the exception of Hankwitz has really panned out. People really thought highly of Anderson, but he really hasn't really developed anybody. Bajakian's system at BC was mediocre, nothing dynamic about it. The hire had me scratching my head. The JON hire even more so. Fitz will get a flood of decommits if he doesn't realize he has to step out of the 80's/90's and into the 21 st century. Also stop the mediocrity inducing buddy hires. All of these guys have been mediocre, a few forcibly so because of Fitz. 17 years in and Fitz has the program coming full circle. 2015-2018 was fun, but that party ended. The folks running NU are coming off like a bunch of maroons.

I had to take you off ignore to read this online. You do not need to be the spokesperson for others on this board. It is their right to jump on the bandwagon when the Cats win and off when they lose. They will do that. Nobody asked your opinion. I am sure when the Cats start winning again you will jump back on.
Put me back on ignore. You offered yours, I offered mine. Just you think yours is so much more worthy. Nobody asked you tell everyone else how to be a fan. You just did. Go back to your Mensa messages boards - too many mouth breathers over here for your pure blood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT