ADVERTISEMENT

PSU stadium renovation

Reading articles that list specifics it looks like they're spending a good chunk of money to "winterize" the stadium so that it can be used year round. Not sure if that would be a good ROI. What could they do, NHL Classic? Are they worrying about NCAA football playoff games?

That stadium values capacity over watching a game. It is dated and a poor cousin to the cathedrals of the other major programs.

Reactions: ubercat
Reading articles that list specifics it looks like they're spending a good chunk of money to "winterize" the stadium so that it can be used year round. Not sure if that would be a good ROI. What could they do, NHL Classic? Are they worrying about NCAA football playoff games?

All the above per an Athletic article.

Was there to see us lose to JoePa on his record breaking win. Ugh. The place is a Frankenstadium. Any improvement would be an upgrade, I guess.

The "guts" of PSU's stadium are plainly visible when you enter. I am far from a structural engineer, but I was concerned that it seated 100K

The "guts" of PSU's stadium are plainly visible when you enter. I am far from a structural engineer, but I was concerned that it seated 100K
I saw it last year. It is a VERY basic structure, but huge and impressive setting. I wonder what renovation means, if they are going to basically take out all the bleachers and construct real seating, enclosed concourse, etc.

I saw it last year. It is a VERY basic structure, but huge and impressive setting. I wonder what renovation means, if they are going to basically take out all the bleachers and construct real seating, enclosed concourse, etc.

The list is included in an Athletics article. In many respects it seems very utilitarian but I suspect that the architect will do his best to turn that exposed structure into more of a architectural statement. The PSU fans are also wondering what the end game is as the athletic department hasn't been clear.

Over the past few years I have visited quite a few SEC, Big Ten and Big Twelve stadiums and schools are doing their best to turn their stadiums into statements. Utilitarian doesn't cut it.

I gather they are completely going to redo the west (press box/visiting team side) side completely. A new exterior will allow for club/premium gathering space to be included. I didn’t get the impression that the end zones or suite sides would change much at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT