ADVERTISEMENT

Purple Party Update

CoralSpringsCat

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
Coral Springs, FL
FloridAlum is too modest to post...but he’s approaching one of the largest turnouts in recent history for Saturday’s Purple Party. The guy does a lot of behind the scenes work and incurs some financial risk when organizing these events. It’s a labor of love as he truly bleeds purple and really enjoys gathering the Purple faithful. The good news is that he’s reserved a large area and there are still spots available. I’ve been assured that there will be no romaine lettuce in the Buffett, the basketball game will be shown on multiple large screen TVs, and Turk himself will be leading the crowd in a rousing rendition of the NU fight song at some point during the party. Details are pinned up top. Please join us if you arrive early to Indy - it’s promises to be a fun time.

Go Cats!

FloridAlum is too modest to post...but he’s approaching one of the largest turnouts in recent history for Saturday’s Purple Party. The guy does a lot of behind the scenes work and incurs some financial risk when organizing these events. It’s a labor of love as he truly bleeds purple and really enjoys gathering the Purple faithful. The good news is that he’s reserved a large area and there are still spots available. I’ve been assured that there will be no romaine lettuce in the Buffett, the basketball game will be shown on multiple large screen TVs, and Turk himself will be leading the crowd in a rousing rendition of the NU fight song at some point during the party. Details are pinned up top. Please join us if you arrive early to Indy - it’s promises to be a fun time.

Go Cats!
You had me until you mentioned Turk in the act of singing. How does one cancel?

Reactions: corbi296 and DaCat
First of all, this Coral Springs fellow has really become a marvelous public relations dude. Anyone who encourages other folks to come to the party is OK by me.Second, we are going to have a very good crowd. However it will not be the largest event I have organized. That is an exaggeration. The two biggest by far were pretty close to each other in size, the end of 2009 in Tampa and the end of 2012 in Jacksonville. I don’t know how long I want to keep doing this , but I don’t think I will ever equal either of those numbers. Right now this party is just about the same or slightly bigger than the Vanderbilt party in 2010, El Paso for the Sun Bowl in 2005, and the second Alamo bowl party in San Antonio at the end of 2008.With just a couple of more people, this will be the third largest. More important is that we are going to have a whole bunch of great Cat fans wearing purple getting together for some great food and some great camaraderie, And there is still room for more folks. Now maybe some people will understand why it can be difficult trying to find a desirable space as big as I would like for a party and why it is a lot different trying to organize a larger gathering versus a smaller gathering.I really do think I got lucky to book this place, and I am well over my guaranteed minimum to the restaurant. See you all in Indianapolis!

i will not be at the purple party but I doubt Turk knows the words. Think Konerko singing Dont Stop Believing. Same thing. He would need a script and maybe some free drinks.
You won’t be there because you and the Oracle of Istanbul can’t be in the same room at the same time.

I cannot get there in the scheduled times but will try to get to the downstairs bar afterwards if any will continue their pre-game warm-up

Update, after I posted last night I received RSVPs from GECAT2 and zbag51 totalling five more people, so, if everyone shows up who RSVPed, it will be the third largest Purple Party with which I have been associated. And believe it or not we still have room for a whole bunch more people. I am telling you that I was very lucky to get a large space like this in a location like this. The biggest concern, like it usually is, is whether a bunch of folks RSVP and then do not show up, because I guarantee that number to the restaurant and I am on the hook. So hopefully everyone shows up who said they would and maybe we get a few more. See you in Indianapolis!
PS while I am feeling good I will add a special kudo. There are few things I like better than people who get other people to come to a Purple Party. Early on willycat was my best recruiter, but then he got passed up by a mile by TampaWildcat who seems to consistently bring an entourage to parties. I think it is his charming personality.While TampaWildcat Is still a great recruiter, the last two parties have a new champion. So special thanks to Smolmania who has done a super duper job of recruiting folks for this party and the one Nashville. I hope somebody buys this guy a drink.

Update, after I posted last night I received RSVPs from GECAT2 and zbag51 totalling five more people, so, if everyone shows up who RSVPed, it will be the third largest Purple Party with which I have been associated. And believe it or not we still have room for a whole bunch more people. I am telling you that I was very lucky to get a large space like this in a location like this. The biggest concern, like it usually is, is whether a bunch of folks RSVP and then do not show up, because I guarantee that number to the restaurant and I am on the hook. So hopefully everyone shows up who said they would and maybe we get a few more. See you in Indianapolis!
PS while I am feeling good I will add a special kudo. There are few things I like better than people who get other people to come to a Purple Party. Early on willycat was my best recruiter, but then he got passed up by a mile by TampaWildcat who seems to consistently bring an entourage to parties. I think it is his charming personality.While TampaWildcat Is still a great recruiter, the last two parties have a new champion. So special thanks to Smolmania who has done a super duper job of recruiting folks for this party and the one Nashville. I hope somebody buys this guy a drink.

I hope you tested out the B1G Ten Network channel; we can’t have any last minutes technical issues trying to pull up the basketball game!

I hope you tested out the B1G Ten Network channel; we can’t have any last minutes technical issues trying to pull up the basketball game!
If there is any difficulty getting the basketball game at the party, I was thinking of blaming it on you.

I paid via PayPal - November 16th... Did I miss something? I'm very sorry if I did

Quite possibly you did. PayPal payments are made under peoples real names, and here I can only see your board name. So it is quite possible that I merely cannot match up one with the other. I do know that two different people paid on that date for one person each. I do not personally know either of those two people, so quite possibly you are one of them.If you want to be extra careful, send me an email confirming that you are BigCatFan19, And I will confirm that I have received your payment. If you have indeed paid then I apologize for saying that you did not.

Quite possibly you did. PayPal payments are made under peoples real names, and here I can only see your board name. So it is quite possible that I merely cannot match up one with the other. I do know that two different people paid on that date for one person each. I do not personally know either of those two people, so quite possibly you are one of them.If you want to be extra careful, send me an email confirming that you are BigCatFan19, And I will confirm that I have received your payment. If you have indeed paid then I apologize for saying that you did not.

Just Did - Thank you for reaching out...

Just Did - Thank you for reaching out...
Thank you. I got your email and responded. My apologies. You did everything just right. I did receive your RSVP and your PayPal payment on November 16. I merely could not match up real name and board name and did not realize that the payment came from BigCatFan19.All is good, and I will see you Saturday. Sorry again for the confusion.

PS the main reason I started organizing these gatherings, before I ever had any thought at all about a possible profit, was to provide a venue for northwestern fans to get together and meet each other. It seemed to me at the time that we really had some great hard-core fans but a lot of them were scattered all over the place and did not know each other . I thought it would be great to maybe help some of these people meet each other. The incredible thing about the party in Indianapolis is that approximately 65%-75% of the people who have RSVPed have never attended a gathering like this in which I have been involved . I think that is wonderful. They are going to be a whole lot of new folks who will have the opportunity to meet a whole lot of new folks.So everybody put on a name tag, mingle, and meet a bunch of fellow fans. While you’re at it, why not have a beverage or two and a great meal.

For any NU fans who are not familiar with Purple Parties, and are sitting on the fence regarding this one, just one word of advice: GO! FloridAlum does a masterful job putting these events together, and I can't think of any other member of this board who is so incredibly dedicated to bringing "purple people" together from all over to celebrate what it is to have a NU connection. (These events are even fantastic for non-Alums and you will definitely be welcomed with open arms -- as long as you're not a Bucknut.)

FloridAlum truly does the entire NU community a fantastic service by organizing these events. If you want to revel in everything it means to "be purple," do not miss these parties! You won't regret it!!

PS the main reason I started organizing these gatherings, before I ever had any thought at all about a possible profit, was to provide a venue for northwestern fans to get together and meet each other. It seemed to me at the time that we really had some great hard-core fans but a lot of them were scattered all over the place and did not know each other . I thought it would be great to maybe help some of these people meet each other. The incredible thing about the party in Indianapolis is that approximately 65%-75% of the people who have RSVPed have never attended a gathering like this in which I have been involved . I think that is wonderful. They are going to be a whole lot of new folks who will have the opportunity to meet a whole lot of new folks.So everybody put on a name tag, mingle, and meet a bunch of fellow fans. While you’re at it, why not have a beverage or two and a great meal.
Wrassler will be too busy cooking Jordan Ash his dinner and cleaning his apartment.

Reactions: DrillCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT