ADVERTISEMENT

PURPLE PARTY IN INDIANAPOLIS

FloridAlum

May 29, 2001
Once again it is time for the purple faithful to gather for our first ever conference championship victory. We will be having a pregame lunch on Saturday, December 1, at Tavern on South restaurant, 423 West South St. This is a four star , locally owned, award winning restaurant located less than one block from Lucas Oil Stadium with a huge number of great reviews online located in an historic 100-year-old building. We have a private room, the “upstairs room” on the second floor, with a private bar that can accommodate a pretty decent sized group. This is an all you can eat buffet, so please keep eating until you think you have gotten your moneys worth. This is a purple party. That means wear purple. The party will be from 12 noon until 3 PM. You do not need to arrive at 12. The full menu is available the entire time. We sort of need to vacate the room about 3 PM or so, but they have a bar with TVs downstairs.
The cost of the party is $40 per adult or large child, payable in cash, not credit card, at the door.If you wish to pay by PayPal, it is $37, but PayPal payments will only be accepted through November 23, after that it is cash at the door. For little purple people, there is a children’s menu available with six or eight different choices for $10 per little person. This cost is all inclusive, includes almost 30% local taxes and gratuity , plus a mark up for me which covers my time and effort and personal financial risk. Hopefully lots of people show up and I make a profit.In addition, there will be a cash bar serving alcoholic beverages, including a wide variety of local draft beers, and you can run a tab or pay for the cash bar on your personal credit card. Feel free to tip for adult beverages, but do not tip for the food, you already have.
For this bargain price we will be offering a lunch buffet of
Tavern salad with candied asparagus, walnuts, asparagus, etc
Caesar salad with garlic dressing
Three entrees:
Grilled chicken Italiano with romesco sauce, Parmesan and basil
Herb crusted flat iron steak with roasted mushrooms and thyme
Broiled Atlantic salmon with Indiana salsa

Mashed potatoes
Grilled asparagus
Selection of buns and condiments
Assorted cookies and brownies for dessert
Coffee, hot or cold tea,soft drinks

Now that you are salivating , Make a reservation. You must send me an email - frogking (at) bellsouth (dot) net. If you already indicated interest in an earlier thread, that does not count, we are starting from scratch and send me an email. If I do not respond reasonably quickly, send it again. We can accommodate a pretty good group, but there still is a limit to the room. Anyone with special dietary needs, send me an email.
The restaurant has a small complementary parking lot, but you cannot leave your car there all day and must remove it when the party is over. There are several parking lots and garages within a couple of blocks of the restaurant. I might suggest the City Center Garage off of West Street, I think within a block of the restaurant.
Now you have the whole story, bring cash, wear purple, bring appetite and sense of humor, mingle

http://tavernonsouth.com/

OK I will add one thing because I have already been asked twice. If you look at the pictures on their website there is an outside patio on the second floor with very nice views, but that is not our room. We are also on the second floor in what they refer to as the “upstairs” room which is actually larger then the patio and completely indoors.

The cost of the party is $40 per adult or large child, payable in cash, not credit card, at the door.If you wish to pay by PayPal, it is $37, but PayPal payments will only be accepted through November 23, after that it is cash at the door. For little purple people, there is a children’s menu available with six or eight different choices for $10 per little person.
For this bargain price we will be offering a lunch buffet of .....Broiled Atlantic salmon with Indiana salsa

DSC_0057-3.jpg
DSC_0060-1.jpg
DSC_0068-1.jpg
DSC_0070-1.jpg
DSC_0815.jpg
DSC_0824.jpg

I envy those of you who will be able to attend so to make up for not being physically present I would like to at least have a proxy presence. If you are in a position where you would be there but for the party cost let FloridAlum know by email and he will let me know so I can get some funds to FloridAlum via my pal Pay the Pal before the 23rd to cover at least three persons.

By the way I would have been inclined to be even more generous if that was Alaska Salmon on the menu and not Atlantic, which hopefully is at least not farmed fish. :rolleyes:

DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

Last edited:
Me too Drill.

GOUNUII

Me, too, but I keep looking at the pictures over and over, and I do not see a flag on the field. Am I losing it? Where do you see her?RIP, flaggy
If anyone is curious, the first four pictures with the round tables and sort of gold tablecloths are from the bowl game party in Houston at the end of the 2011 season.The other two photos with the brick walls are from the Vanderbilt game in 2010. If you put your ear very close to your screen you can actually hear The Waterboy.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I thought I saw Flag’s husband in one of the pictures. I believe he came to the purple party after Flag’s passing just to reconnect with her passion for NU.

I thought I saw Flag’s husband in one of the pictures. I believe he came to the purple party after Flag’s passing just to reconnect with her passion for NU.

I honestly do not remember what he looks like. I know he came to one or two parties before she passed away, but I do not remember him coming after that. I do not recognize her in any of these pictures. We remember her fondly regardless. It is very difficult to believe that she has been gone almost 6 years.

What an incredible woman she was. Just unbelievably incredible. Not just her accomplishments and passion for NU but her compassion for mankind and knowledge about things. I hope her husbandis doing well. I feel for him because Flag was such a loss. So much life she had. Gone too soon.

Update, in slightly over 24 hours the room is about 30% booked. It is a pretty good sized room.In a different thread, a bunch of folks, from whom I have not heard,indicated they would probably attend. If you definitely plan on attending the party, let me encourage you to RSVP the sooner the better. It really helps me keep a good head count, and I appreciate it.

Because Coral Springs keeps pestering me, I will add that in the space we have reserved there are five 42 inch TVs and one 60 inch TV, and the owner of the restaurant says that he will make sure the basketball game is available for your viewing pleasure

I have a blast at these parties. Nothing really like being around 75-100 fellow TRUE purple fans who are really really nice, polite,people and have similar interest. Plus Waterboy said last night that he might not be able to make it so there should be plenty of extra food now.

OK, now I can tell the truth.in post number 15 in this thread I mentioned that there are six large TV screens in our room. It is a big room. However the restaurant does not get the Big 10 network because their cable or satellite provider wants to charge the restaurant $150 per month just to have that channel.The owner of the restaurant told me last week that somehow he would make it happen. He just confirmed to me that he has arranged to purchase a short term subscription to the network at his expense to make sure that the Northwestern-Indiana game will be shown in our party room. The owner of the restaurant will also not be cheering for the Hoosiers because he is actually a Florida Gator. Anyway, that was pretty nice of him, so keep those reservations coming

OK, one more reminder. The room is almost 60% booked, but it is a very large room, still plenty of space for more folks . However, tomorrow, November 23, is the last day to use PayPal and get a small discount. After that feel free to RSVP for the party and pay cash at the door.

One more update. We still have a bunch of room left, keep those RSVPs coming. In addition to their famous Tavern salad, their best selling and biggest demand salad,we were going to also offer a Caesar salad. However now we cannot do that because of the total recall on romaine lettuce . In its place we will be offering a spinach salad with bacon, red onion, bleu cheese, and egg with a Shagbark Hickory vinaigrette dressing. I love spinach salad.

Reactions: NUinIowafan
One more update. We still have a bunch of room left, keep those RSVPs coming. In addition to their famous Tavern salad, their best selling and biggest demand salad,we were going to also offer a Caesar salad. However now we cannot do that because of the total recall on romaine lettuce . In its place we will be offering a spinach salad with bacon, red onion, bleu cheese, and egg with a Shagbark Hickory vinaigrette dressing. I love spinach salad.

th

Me, too, but I keep looking at the pictures over and over, and I do not see a flag on the field. Am I losing it? Where do you see her?RIP, flaggy
If anyone is curious, the first four pictures with the round tables and sort of gold tablecloths are from the bowl game party in Houston at the end of the 2011 season.The other two photos with the brick walls are from the Vanderbilt game in 2010.

Flag was at the Vandy party in 2010. I talked with her for a long time; she was a NUMBalum from just slightly before my time. Her table was approximately behind where you & Waterboy are standing in both pictures. (Next to you are my two little daughters, who have grown into teenagers who know absolutely everything. ;-))

Flag was at the Vandy party in 2010. I talked with her for a long time; she was a NUMBalum from just slightly before my time. Her table was approximately behind where you & Waterboy are standing in both pictures. (Next to you are my two little daughters, who have grown into teenagers who know absolutely everything. ;-))

I was in NUMB with Flag (and Mallory Thompson and Pete Friedman). We all miss her.

Might I suggest, that once we determine which hotel the Buckeyes are staying at we send over the Caesar salad as a peace offering.

OK another update, the room is about 2/3 booked, so we are going to have a pretty good group. Again, it is a very large room and the restaurant has lots and lots of food, so we can definitely accommodate more people. Keep those RSVPs coming.

DSC_0057-3.jpg
DSC_0060-1.jpg
DSC_0068-1.jpg
DSC_0070-1.jpg
DSC_0815.jpg
DSC_0824.jpg

I envy those of you who will be able to attend so to make up for not being physically present I would like to at least have a proxy presence. If you are in a position where you would be there but for the party cost let FloridAlum know by email and he will let me know so I can get some funds to FloridAlum via my pal Pay the Pal before the 23rd to cover at least three persons.

By the way I would have been inclined to be even more generous if that was Alaska Salmon on the menu and not Atlantic, which hopefully is at least not farmed fish. :rolleyes:

DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg
Question: Do you have a system to find old pictures? I can never find what I’m looking for.

Question: Do you have a system to find old pictures? I can never find what I’m looking for.

Unfortunately my “”system” is hit or miss. At least I get a lot of renewed trips down memory lane each time I plod through my photo library.

There is a way to tag photos into some kind of index but I haven’t figured it out yet.

Reactions: StreamCat
Unfortunately my “”system” is hit or miss. At least I get a lot of renewed trips down memory lane each time I plod through my photo library.

There is a way to tag photos into some kind of index but I haven’t figured it out yet.
OK, so the secret is plodding.

OK another update, the room is about 2/3 booked, so we are going to have a pretty good group. Again, it is a very large room and the restaurant has lots and lots of food, so we can definitely accommodate more people. Keep those RSVPs coming.

Can you/the owner 100% guarantee that our basketball game will be on? It would be rough to be stuck at a venue that was "trying to figure it out" or having "technical difficulties." Not trying to be a pest, but many fans' top priority for that afternoon will be watching the hoops game!

Can you/the owner 100% guarantee that our basketball game will be on? It would be rough to be stuck at a venue that was "trying to figure it out" or having "technical difficulties." Not trying to be a pest, but many fans' top priority for that afternoon will be watching the hoops game!
I was told by the owner that he purchased a temporary subscription to the Big Ten network and the game will be shown in the party room.

I was told by the owner that he purchased a temporary subscription to the Big Ten network and the game will be shown in the party room.

Right, and that's great. Would be extra reassuring, however, if he could confirm that it's up and working...no kinks to be worked out at the last second.

Right, and that's great. Would be extra reassuring, however, if he could confirm that it's up and working...no kinks to be worked out at the last second.
FloridAlum once competed in basketball at the international level, so I am sure he would be happy to do a live re-enactment of the game if necessary.

For your benefit only, I will ask the restaurant owner if he will submit to a sworn deposition under oath, plus a notarized statement guaranteeing the television service .

Reactions: villox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT