ADVERTISEMENT

QB is 12th commit for NU

What do you think this means about Sears? Taking 2, he's already a lean elsewhere, offer gets pulled?

Andrew Marty reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Trevor Siemian.

A healthy Trevor like QB is a good thing. Not the ideal QB for our offense but someone we can win with.

Interesting that NU pursued another player who was hurt in HS. A broken femur is no fun, but something that he should recover 100% from. If this is why he was underrecruited, NU may have hit the jackpot. Hopefully he has a banner Senior season this year.

Interesting that NU pursued another player who was hurt in HS. A broken femur is no fun, but something that he should recover 100% from. If this is why he was underrecruited, NU may have hit the jackpot. Hopefully he has a banner Senior season this year.

I'd be curious to know how he broke his femur. That should be a tough bone to break. More and more I'm beginning to believe that some guys can be great athletes but prone to injury and unable to handle the rigors or carrying the kind of size and strength required to play football at an advanced level.

The break may be a break for NU if it kept a great QB under the radar.

Welcome Andrew. Go Cats!!

Here is a brief write up on Marty from an Ohio Recruiting blogger that I like. He seems to think Andrew Marty is underrated.

http://www.msrohio.com/andrew-marty-qb-wyoming-hs/
Great piece - thanks. I agree that his mobility in the pocket and his decision-making appeared top-drawer, especially on tape from his sophomore year. I think the coaches have once again found a good prospect before others do. Welcome Andrew!

Great piece - thanks. I agree that his mobility in the pocket and his decision-making appeared top-drawer, especially on tape from his sophomore year. I think the coaches have once again found a good prospect before others do. Welcome Andrew!

He has a nice touch throwing over the top. As he grows into his 6'4" frame and gets some more instruction he will have more zip on the short passes. I bet.

Hey GOUNUII, this guy is from your territory. What do you know about him?

All I know No Chores is that he plays for a high quality (academics and athletics) smaller Division school against good, but not the best, competition in the area. His film shows good size and a better than average athlete. Running style and ability on par with Thorson. Mechanics throwing the ball are in the sound range. Arm strength isn't great now, but should improve with time. I will do some digging and see what I turn up. I don't know anything about his intangibles.

Don't be mislead by the MAC offers and initial commitment to MIami,OH. Lots of good QBs and other players in that League.

GOUNUII

Andrew Marty reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Trevor Siemian.

Marty is a better runner than Siemian. Probably a better overall athlete, taking nothing away from Trevor.

I liken the recruitment of HS QBs to the drafting of college QBs. More often than not, objective film evaluation involves splitting hairs (subjectively and otherwise) between the 4 stars that attend Power 5 schools and those like Marty that fall to the MAC. How many great NFL QBs slipped down the draft board notwithstanding the unique premium treatment of the postion. The evaluation differences are often so slim and the projection process so inexact. What I can say with confidence is that if Marty has Siemian's head for the game, chances are we got a good one. One you can win with. I can also say with confidence that I see no material difference between the 4 star QB from Cincy St. Xavier headed to PSU and this Marty kid. The St. X QB just plays against consistently better competition.

GOUNUII

Marty is a better runner than Siemian. Probably a better overall athlete, taking nothing away from Trevor.

I liken the recruitment of HS QBs to the drafting of college QBs. More often than not, objective film evaluation involves splitting hairs (subjectively and otherwise) between the 4 stars that attend Power 5 schools and those like Marty that fall to the MAC. How many great NFL QBs slipped down the draft board notwithstanding the unique premium treatment of the postion. The evaluation differences are often so slim and the projection process so inexact. What I can say with confidence is that if Marty has Siemian's head for the game, chances are we got a good one. One you can win with. I can also say with confidence that I see no material difference between the 4 star QB from Cincy St. Xavier headed to PSU and this Marty kid. The St. X QB just plays against consistently better competition.

GOUNUII
Great stuff my man! Thanks.

GOUNUII
I always have the hardest time evaluating QB tape - counterintuitive, but glad to hear others have this trouble.

What do you think this means about Sears? Taking 2, he's already a lean elsewhere, offer gets pulled?

You can't be serious with your questions......

You are a real arse. I ask a couple of fair questions and you give me this crappy response. Why don't you go flame the other QB thread. Lots more challenging the koolaid crap on that one. Sears got an offer from UCLA, that's all I know. Wtf? Have we never taken two QBs? You are becoming intolerable as gcg. Ignore is your friend.

All I know No Chores is that he plays for a high quality (academics and athletics) smaller Division school against good, but not the best, competition in the area. His film shows good size and a better than average athlete. Running style and ability on par with Thorson. Mechanics throwing the ball are in the sound range. Arm strength isn't great now, but should improve with time. I will do some digging and see what I turn up. I don't know anything about his intangibles.

Don't be mislead by the MAC offers and initial commitment to MIami,OH. Lots of good QBs and other players in that League.

GOUNUII
"Lots of good QB's come from the MAC" - yes, like that guy that played hs ball at Findlay, Ohio, the next county seat up the I-75 from where I grew up. He went on to play at Miami (OH) and beat us playing on the road. Even as a pro that guy's qb game is not too shabby!

GOUNUII

Considering all the MAC QBs that end up in the League, not to mention Division IAA QBs, you are probably spot on. Again, if the guy was injured and that's the reason he flew under the radar, could really be a steal for us.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Considering all the MAC QBs that end up in the League, not to mention Division IAA QBs, you are probably spot on. Again, if the guy was injured and that's the reason he flew under the radar, could really be a steal for us.

He could be a steal. There is no question that he was not the first choice for NU however, given the other prospects NU recruited ahead of him. If he really got his NU offer just a couple of weeks ago, he was like the 7th choice for NU at QB. I am optimistic that there isn't a huge difference in potential among all of these QB offers and that Marty will end up a competitive Big 10 QB at NU!

The biggest difference is Hill's ability to make plays with his feet and run downfield. Despite Thorson's 4.5 speed, he's really not that type. Marty does not offer that either, but he's athletic enough to move around and extend plays.

QBs like Thorson, Smith, and Marty suggest a fit with a more traditional offense. I just hope our oline and receivers are up to the task.

Here is a brief write up on Marty from an Ohio Recruiting blogger that I like. He seems to think Andrew Marty is underrated.

http://www.msrohio.com/andrew-marty-qb-wyoming-hs/
From what I saw, he seems fairly solid. I know these are highlights and I cannot say I know anything about evaluating QBs. Seems to hit guys in stride and to step into his throws. Has about a good 50-55 yd arm and reasonably accurate and that is without the college weight program. Handles the rush OK and has good size and can run when he has to. Not the fastest but effective. Have to have a QB in every class and have always said that having a solid MAC level guy in an off year is a pretty good place to be. I think he has a lot of upside and I would not be surprised to find that he is underrated.

The biggest difference is Hill's ability to make plays with his feet and run downfield. Despite Thorson's 4.5 speed, he's really not that type. Marty does not offer that either, but he's athletic enough to move around and extend plays.

QBs like Thorson, Smith, and Marty suggest a fit with a more traditional offense. I just hope our oline and receivers are up to the task.

That's probably just as well because for all we know Fitz is waiting for McCall to retire and then we'll be pro style/smashmouth all the way. It takes time to recruit the type of guys to run that offense and we're gradually moving in that direction by recruiting big TEs and high-volume ballcarriers. I don't know what to think about the OL and its possible transition. It doesn't seem like we are anywhere close to having the personnel there, but as long as McCall is present, we'll continue to keep teams honest with the read option and spread look.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT