ADVERTISEMENT

QB Transfer(s)

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
"D2 entry into portal as a grad transfer; West Florida QB Austin Reed passed for 7,507 yards and 78 TD in two seasons with the Argos; finalist for national D2 player of the year in 2021; FL native; 6'2" 220 lbs"

Joined portal ~2 days ago. Already has offers from W Michigan and W Kentucky, interest from many others. Speaking with NU coaches…

Athletic article for those who havdMeet the Division II quarterback (and finalist for its version of the Heisman) who has 35-plus schools chasing him
https://theathletic.com/3149958/2022/02/25/meet-the-division-ii-quarterback-and-finalist-for-its-version-of-the-heisman-who-has-35-plus-schools-chasing-him/

Also a former 4* recruit Michael Alaimo is transferring from Purdue, he was expected to not start this year.

"D2 entry into portal as a grad transfer; West Florida QB Austin Reed passed for 7,507 yards and 78 TD in two seasons with the Argos; finalist for national D2 player of the year in 2021; FL native; 6'2" 220 lbs"

Joined portal ~2 days ago. Already has offers from W Michigan and W Kentucky, interest from many others. Speaking with NU coaches…

Athletic article for those who havdMeet the Division II quarterback (and finalist for its version of the Heisman) who has 35-plus schools chasing him
https://theathletic.com/3149958/2022/02/25/meet-the-division-ii-quarterback-and-finalist-for-its-version-of-the-heisman-who-has-35-plus-schools-chasing-him/

Also a former 4* recruit Michael Alaimo is transferring from Purdue, he was expected to not start this year.
We need DL and LB help more than yet another QB. At some point, we just have to let our QB recruits and Helinski strap it on and go. We cannot keep trying to recruit over them every single year. Between Helinski, Richardson, and Sullivan we must have one guy who can play. The big issue on offense is the OL. When do several of these highly-touted OL recruits step up to give us time to throw and room to run? Our RBs will be very good. With Porter returning as the starter, we should be 4-deep. But, none of that matters if our front 7 on defense play like they did last year.

We need DL and LB help more than yet another QB. At some point, we just have to let our QB recruits and Helinski strap it on and go. We cannot keep trying to recruit over them every single year. Between Helinski, Richardson, and Sullivan we must have one guy who can play. The big issue on offense is the OL. When do several of these highly-touted OL recruits step up to give us time to throw and room to run? Our RBs will be very good. With Porter returning as the starter, we should be 4-deep. But, none of that matters if our front 7 on defense play like they did last year.
Just a reminder that the QB position is the most important. that's all.

Reactions: ricko654321
Just a reminder that the QB position is the most important. that's all.
And we saw how important it is without great OL assistance!! OL first, then QB's on the roster next, working behind the new and improved OL!!

And we saw how important it is without great OL assistance!! OL first, then QB's on the roster next, working behind the new and improved OL!!
How many OL are they recruiting this year? Just asking.

I was gonna say that a functional QB makes up for other position weaknesses, but our passing stats were bad, but not horrendous. Slight chance Hilinski can do it, knowing he's "the man". I guess we'll see. Defense is the real issue. Any OL blocking will allow a good running attack.

Of course, a Dan Persa clone would make a huge difference

Of course, a Dan Persa clone would make a huge difference
Heck, I'd take another Peyton Ramsey in a heartbeat. We would've still been bad last year because of the putrid defense but if Ramsey had returned, I'm confident we would've had at least another 2-3 more wins. QB is still a problem that needs to be solved.

Heck, I'd take another Peyton Ramsey in a heartbeat. We would've still been bad last year because of the putrid defense but if Ramsey had returned, I'm confident we would've had at least another 2-3 more wins. QB is still a problem that needs to be solved.
I have some confidence in Helinski based on what I saw last year. Yes, he needs to work on accuracy and mobility, but the former is very coachable and there is no reason why a strong, fit young man like Ryan cannot gain some mobility with more knowledge of the offense and confidence in his position. He showed as good ability in checking down receivers as any QB we've had in many years, he has a very strong arm (can make all the throws at this level and perhaps the next), and from what I saw in practice takes command of the huddle and willingly offers encouragement and direction to teammates. He is an obvious leader. I think that in two years this young man could be as good a QB as there is in the Big Ten - but, he has to play to reach his potential.

Do you think a spot or two might open after/during Spring Ball? Medical retirements and an additional transfer due to depth chart positions are both very strong possibilities. When did we offer Andrew Clair last year?
Hopefully they do. Not exactly leaving ourselves with a lot of room, filling one of our last spots with a lesser talent…

Doubt this guy is a fit or good enough for us but passing along as an FYI.

Doubt this guy is a fit or good enough for us but passing along as an FYI.

Kid has some interesting tools. Committed to Iowa State EXTREMELY early in the recruiting process, so didn’t rack up a ton of offers. Definitely more of a pocket guy, but flashes some high-level arm talent at times.

Doubt he fits at NU unless we’ve largely already given up on our younger QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT