ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Medical Redshirt

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
My understanding is that a player can apply for a medical redshirt and qualify if he misses an entire season, or the rest of a season after injury if it happens before a semester/quarter starts?

Consider CT. Now, it seems to me that perhaps the most reasonable timetable for a ACL is 10 months. I mean coming back at 8 months isn't common but certainly there is nothing 100% healed by then. So, it's prolly reasonable to assume CT will miss September and some of October if he comes back without any dealy in healing. Also consider that CT hasn't even had the surgery yet and most likely won't for 2 weeks. Sounds odd to me although I admit I'm ignorant.

So, is it possible (Although nobody will ever tell) that the delayed surgery pushes back CT to around December? And pushes him into a redshirt?

My understanding is that a player can apply for a medical redshirt and qualify if he misses an entire season, or the rest of a season after injury if it happens before a semester/quarter starts?

Consider CT. Now, it seems to me that perhaps the most reasonable timetable for a ACL is 10 months. I mean coming back at 8 months isn't common but certainly there is nothing 100% healed by then. So, it's prolly reasonable to assume CT will miss September and some of October if he comes back without any dealy in healing. Also consider that CT hasn't even had the surgery yet and most likely won't for 2 weeks. Sounds odd to me although I admit I'm ignorant.

So, is it possible (Although nobody will ever tell) that the delayed surgery pushes back CT to around December? And pushes him into a redshirt?
Is it possible UFO's landed in Roswell NM? Was there a second shooter on the grassy knoll? Were the moon landings done in an LA sound stage? Nobody will ever tell.....

Doesn't a medical redshirt still have to take place within the 5 year eligibility? Unless you miss an extra season to the missed medical season, you can't extend the 5 year eligibility with just a medical redshirt in your redshirt senior year.

So yeah, I think the whole medical redshirt is not possible unless my understanding of the 5 year eligibility is wrong.

Doesn't a medical redshirt still have to take place within the 5 year eligibility? Unless you miss an extra season to the missed medical season, you can't extend the 5 year eligibility with just a medical redshirt in your redshirt senior year.

So yeah, I think the whole medical redshirt is not possible unless my understanding of the 5 year eligibility is wrong.

No, it doesn't. A player can end up with a 6 year career via a medical redshirt. Evan Eschmeyer did that, IIRC.

No, it doesn't. A player can end up with a 6 year career via a medical redshirt. Evan Eschmeyer did that, IIRC.
Some one posted that if CT was physically unable to play, meaning not cleared by the DR's, all next season including a bowl, he could apply for a medical redshirt. It was also suggested that if he met all the requirements he would likely get it. That sounded about right to me from all the years of Medical redshirt discussions I have read.

Yeah, but typically the 6th year is granted for a double medical redshirt situation like Eschmeyer.

Why would CT get a 6th year? His first year redshirt means that he'd need a specific reason for an extra year of eligibility.

A single missed season due to injury may not be enough.

Criteria for medical red shirt-
1. Must be season ending injury.
2. It must have happened in the first half of the season.
3. Player must have played less than 30% of the seasons games.
4. The injury can't have happened in practice while a player was already red shirting.

The player can petition for a 6th season but there is no guarantee. I forgot who it was but a Buckeye DB got a 6th season a few years back.

There is no guaranty Thorson is even going to miss a game.

Not to downplay the injury, but guys comeback pretty quick these days.

Reactions: JoeWildcat
4. The injury can't have happened in practice while a player was already red shirting.

The player can petition for a 6th season but there is no guarantee. I forgot who it was but a Buckeye DB got a 6th season a few years back.
Given that Thorson's injury occurred in the last game of the 2017 season, he will not meet the criteria for a Medical Redshirt (criteria 2 above). He will have to petition for special treatment if he misses the entire 2018 season due to his injury.

Given that Thorson's injury occurred in the last game of the 2017 season, he will not meet the criteria for a Medical Redshirt (criteria 2 above). He will have to petition for special treatment if he misses the entire 2018 season due to his injury.

Before the season counts as “first half.” It’s just the same as if it occurred in training camp.

He would have to petition either way. Sixth years are far from automatic.

Before the season counts as “first half.” It’s just the same as if it occurred in training camp.

Aren't Bowl games part of the season? He was injured in the 2017 season, not the 2018 season....

A student-athlete must petition for a waiver of the rule that gives him five years to play four seasons. The key sentence from the pertinent rule appears to be this one: "This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period." The rule then provides detailed examples of situations that are within or beyond the control of the student-athlete. A voluntary redshirt year (for reason other than injury) is listed as a circumstance within the control of the student-athlete. Thus, unless Clayton redshirted his freshman year due to injury or some other extenuating circumstance outside his control, getting a waiver might be an uphill battle. (This assumes, of course, that he is medically unable to play in 2018--an uncertain proposition.)

Here is a link to the NCAA Division 1 Manual. The pertinent section is 12.8.1.7.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf

Reactions: zeek55
A student-athlete must petition for a waiver of the rule that gives him five years to play four seasons. The key sentence from the pertinent rule appears to be this one: "This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period." The rule then provides detailed examples of situations that are within or beyond the control of the student-athlete. A voluntary redshirt year (for reason other than injury) is listed as a circumstance within the control of the student-athlete. Thus, unless Clayton redshirted his freshman year due to injury or some other extenuating circumstance outside his control, getting a waiver might be an uphill battle. (This assumes, of course, that he is medically unable to play in 2018--an uncertain proposition.)

Here is a link to the NCAA Division 1 Manual. The pertinent section is 12.8.1.7.

Doesn't sound very promising for Clay.

Yeah this is what I was referring to above with how Eschmeyer missed 2 seasons due to being medically unable to play and so his 6th year was granted in order to allow him 4 seasons of play.

CT has had the 4 available years in his 5 year eligibility given that his redshirt was voluntary (as far as any of us know).

Given that the NCAA has been more strict on this, it's hard to see how a 6th year is granted barring something we don't know about CT's situation.

It is my understanding for him to qualify for a 6th year his prior redshirt year would have been a medical. Seeing that was not the case I would think the petition would be denied.

Either CT plays this season at some capacity or we rely on our current stable of QB's. I would think that whatever our current guys possess in the knowledge of the system, and thier abilities. Would still pose a better option that any transfer could provide.

I wonder if his announcement before the bowl that he intended to come back would hold any water with regard to an exception being made. Seems to me that if he would be allowed to return if he is physically able, they ought to consider allowing him to return the following year. Certainly the injury has cost him a season if he can't return. A lot is at stake in his case. A good season could be worth Millions of dollars, no season at all could cost him all opportunities.

Would he have to wait to apply for a medical redshirt until next season is over, or could his doctor write a slip, prior to the season, with limitations on playing through January 2019? Just asking. Because if it's far from certain that he could get a 6th year (I assume he will get solid legal guidance) then he risk never playing again if he takes a cautious approach. I mean, Corey Wootton said he wasn't 100% for 2 years. So, I'm a bit confused as to how anyone could claim "He could have played" if in fact he doesn't play the whole year and takes a more conservative approach in rehab.

I wonder if his announcement before the bowl that he intended to come back would hold any water with regard to an exception being made. Seems to me that if he would be allowed to return if he is physically able, they ought to consider allowing him to return the following year. Certainly the injury has cost him a season if he can't return. A lot is at stake in his case. A good season could be worth Millions of dollars, no season at all could cost him all opportunities.
I don't see how that could have any effect under the rule as written.

Would he have to wait to apply for a medical redshirt until next season is over, or could his doctor write a slip, prior to the season, with limitations on playing through January 2019? Just asking. Because if it's far from certain that he could get a 6th year (I assume he will get solid legal guidance) then he risk never playing again if he takes a cautious approach. I mean, Corey Wootton said he wasn't 100% for 2 years. So, I'm a bit confused as to how anyone could claim "He could have played" if in fact he doesn't play the whole year and takes a more conservative approach in rehab.

I think it would have to be after the season. And the criteria is typically “medically cleared,” not “returned to 100% health.”

I don't see how that could have any effect under the rule as written.
Well, I was thinking that if it is pretty subjective because each petition is judged on it's own merit, the idea that he intended to return and not go pro means that the injury is what cost him the year. It's called a "Medical redshirt" so if a medical condition is the only reason he couldn't participate seems like he should be allowed the opportunity to finish his career as planned. After all he was injured while supporting the NCAA bowl system. If he cannot return it is sure a good argument for guys not participating in Bowl games. Don't want to kill the golden goose.
Perhaps the fact that he chose to redshirt as a freshman precludes any application at all.

Well, I was thinking that if it is pretty subjective because each petition is judged on it's own merit, the idea that he intended to return and not go pro means that the injury is what cost him the year. It's called a "Medical redshirt" so if a medical condition is the only reason he couldn't participate seems like he should be allowed the opportunity to finish his career as planned. After all he was injured while supporting the NCAA bowl system. If he cannot return it is sure a good argument for guys not participating in Bowl games. Don't want to kill the golden goose.
Perhaps the fact that he chose to redshirt as a freshman precludes any application at all.
The rule states that you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He used one of the 5 years already to (non-medical) redshirt to prepare himself to compete. He has therefore used 4 of his 5 years. If he isn't medically cleared to compete during the 2018 season (his 5th and final year) he would need a waiver of some sort to get a 6th year of eligibility. The "medical redshirt" rule simply does not apply in this case. It really is a way to claw-back a year of eligibility when someone is hurt playing less than half a season, since by rule the player cannot redshirt that season because once you play a down you lose the ability to redshirt.

The way to think of it is, you can either redshirt or take a medical redshirt but not both, since you only get 4 years of competition in a 5 year period.

How this affects Jango is a good question, since he took a redshirt his first year and was hurt in year 2. I assume he gets 3 more full seasons of competition, not 4. CatsDad can help us here....

Reactions: zeek55
Does anyone remember what happened to Pat Durr who got cut blocked by Air Force, didn't he get a sixth year? I cannot find info online.

Does anyone remember what happened to Pat Durr who got cut blocked by Air Force, didn't he get a sixth year? I cannot find info online.
He was in the incoming class of 1999 and reshirted, played in 2000 and 2003, and therefore fell afoul of the 5 years of eligibility rule.

Man these rules are so stupid. The kid blew his knee out making millions of dollars for NU, the BigTen and the NCAA.
These players are completely exploited. I know this is a hot topic as some fans think they get a free education and shouldn't be compensated but I think these players should get a helluva lot more than the yearly stipend. Check out basketball. NU gets private donations prior to gauging us for seats. Completely paid off is the new arena. And NU creates a YEARLY PSL. Fine, I get it. But it short changes the players who should get paid but the NCAA is a scam that prevents that.

As a fan, all I can say is that I better not be watching Mississippil Valley and the sisters of the poor. Better be playing Kansas, Duke, etc for dropping $8,000 on 4 seats in the stands.

He was in the incoming class of 1999 and reshirted, played in 2000 and 2003, and therefore fell afoul of the 5 years of eligibility rule.

I think he was able to take the year off and play the next year. I was just pointing this out as a possibility.

The rule states that you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He used one of the 5 years already to (non-medical) redshirt to prepare himself to compete. He has therefore used 4 of his 5 years. If he isn't medically cleared to compete during the 2018 season (his 5th and final year) he would need a waiver of some sort to get a 6th year of eligibility. The "medical redshirt" rule simply does not apply in this case. It really is a way to claw-back a year of eligibility when someone is hurt playing less than half a season, since by rule the player cannot redshirt that season because once you play a down you lose the ability to redshirt.

The way to think of it is, you can either redshirt or take a medical redshirt but not both, since you only get 4 years of competition in a 5 year period.

How this affects Jango is a good question, since he took a redshirt his first year and was hurt in year 2. I assume he gets 3 more full seasons of competition, not 4. CatsDad can help us here....
Jango was told to qualify he would have to miss another season due to injury. This season was a wasted year that he can't get back. If he gets injured again in the next three years and misses the majority of the season he could apply for a sixth year and most likely get it. Hopefully we don't ever have to find out. It was brutal for us both missing this season. When you have wanted to be on the field competing your whole life, your turn comes up and an injury at camp steals that opportunity from you, it hurts. On a positive note it has made him more motivated and reminded him how much football means to him.

These players are completely exploited. I know this is a hot topic as some fans think they get a free education and shouldn't be compensated but I think these players should get a helluva lot more than the yearly stipend. Check out basketball. NU gets private donations prior to gauging us for seats. Completely paid off is the new arena. And NU creates a YEARLY PSL. Fine, I get it. But it short changes the players who should get paid but the NCAA is a scam that prevents that.

As a fan, all I can say is that I better not be watching Mississippil Valley and the sisters of the poor. Better be playing Kansas, Duke, etc for dropping $8,000 on 4 seats in the stands.
NU breaks even in sports due to Title 9. There is no money to pay players after you fund sports that lose money.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT