ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
I was in Evanston for a letterman's golf outing. Uber came through with a ticket, allowing me to see the lakeside stadium. The south plaza had a variety of concessions and provided a good location
to meet friends.
The seats in the stadium are mostly in the end zones . We were seated in the North Stands , next to a capacity enthusiastic student section. The NU BB team showed up , sans Nicholson and Uber said Barnhizer was still in a boot.
I learned that it is very difficult to watch a FB game from this viewpoint. It is difficult to see whether a run was 1, 3 or 5 yards. I then realized that 25-30% of the seats in the future Ryan Field will be end zone seats and could not justify seat licenses.

From a performance point of view, I believe the final score was very flattering for NU. I did not check the stats but IU probably probably had 400-500 yards of " O". They attacked the center of the field with crossing patterns, an area that NU avoids as if it was a mine field. NU had one crossing pattern to a TE that led to a TD and a seam route to Henning. NU continues to throw long outs for short gains, with many throws bouncing short in the strong wind.
The "new offense" lacks the creativity that an outmanned unit needs to have. I was hoping to see effective RPOs or options employing Himon ala the old Colter/Mark days

NU's administration has to accept the changing dynamics of B1G athletics or be the laughing stock of collegiate athletics. I hope Schill watched theVanderbilt/Alabama game to see the value of success on the athletic field. I bet Vanderbilt will see a spike in applications

It was great to see the beautiful North Shore suburbs on a sunny Fall weekend

Didn't realize that Vandy had a ton of transfers on that team (and probably lots of NIL). NU is going to have to adjust.

I believe Braun will figure this out, that is the complex politics of NU football, with an insecure faculty, an admissions department scared for their lives and an administration desperate for that next higher spot on the academic rung Princeton and Harvard are in the Ivy league. Iw that where NU wants to be. Duke has figured it out, and Vandy seems close, Is Northwestern clueless?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT