ADVERTISEMENT

Rank Us Now Bitches!!

2 more points than the other 17th ranked team. I guess I underestimate how much the other numbers matter in his rankings

Hey, you don't have to convince me, but KenPom has his algorithms that work for him, and I can see why it comes out the way it does. Algorithms don't work on this team though, because they have some intangibles that just aren't in the numbers anywhere.

Hey, you don't have to convince me, but KenPom has his algorithms that work for him, and I can see why it comes out the way it does. Algorithms don't work on this team though, because they have some intangibles that just aren't in the numbers anywhere.
Or it might just suggest we have indeed gotten lucky this season. Which would be a reversion to the mean after last year's terrible luck...

Reactions: drewjin
Collins said post game that he doesn’t care about rankings and I love that attitude. He snarked that the guys who might rank NU also projected them 13th/14th pre-season. I honestly don’t mind the lack of respect. Just keep building. This is fun.

More likely, Indiana will drop into the 20s, but it would be nice to not get snubbed.
We still have a game against IA this weekend. Hold up in that game and it will be hard to not rank us but if we fail, I can see them keeping us out. I would rather see us take care of business against IA but I don't mind them not ranking us and keeping the chip on our shoulder. Keep us hungry.

We seem to be chewing them up and spitting them out! We are a better team every game! At this point, we just really need to work on our shooting.
We have to work on shot selection, Our shot selection in second half was not good. Settling for 3s early in shot clock let IN back into the game. Hopefully the three days between now and IA game will let them get some things worked out. Luckily we won. Buie took it to the hoop down the stretch and we found a way to win. I did not like our chances going into OT as we had no momentum

We got these last two wins while not shooting well at all. That’s a really good sign. This team isn’t just getting hot and shooting like crazy to beat top ranked teams. They’re beating them with effort and defense and that can stay consistent every game. Shooting will vary game to game. NU is beating teams playing very imperfect basketball.

They’re so fun to watch. They play so hard. So many hustle and just want it more plays. Everyone goes all out on the defensive end and it’s a team effort back there. Even if I wasn’t an NU fan this would be a fun team to watch. I’m having a lot of fun this season.

I know Iowa and Michigan handled us pretty well this season, but I still feel like we just beat the best two (non-Northwestern) teams in the BIG this week. Purdue has proven it all year that they are great and Indiana has been really impressive the past month. When you have a player as good as TJD, you are bound to be a good team. Really impressive wins for the Cats!

I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting, and the recency effect and all that, but I think TJD might be the best Big Ten player NU has faced in the last decade. He was incredible in the two games against NU this year.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Stats-wise, but when you factor in team performance, I think he has a case to make 1st team over Pickett.
I don't disagree with you. And we should always reward winning.

But Picket's stats are just out of this world. One thing is for some dude to score, say 30 a game. Impressive. Or do 20 and 10. Another is to have what is a college equivalent to triple double stats.

18.1pts/7.4rbs/7.0 assists/52.2 FG%/36.7 3 pt% - the king of booty bully ball

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
We got these last two wins while not shooting well at all. That’s a really good sign. This team isn’t just getting hot and shooting like crazy to beat top ranked teams. They’re beating them with effort and defense and that can stay consistent every game. Shooting will vary game to game. NU is beating teams playing very imperfect basketball.

They’re so fun to watch. They play so hard. So many hustle and just want it more plays. Everyone goes all out on the defensive end and it’s a team effort back there. Even if I wasn’t an NU fan this would be a fun team to watch. I’m having a lot of fun this season.
If they do it the whole game. Yesterday in second half, both were off letting IN back into the game

I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting, and the recency effect and all that, but I think TJD might be the best Big Ten player NU has faced in the last decade. He was incredible in the two games against NU this year.
Edy is probably player of the year but TJD should be a close second. He plays a different position and is much more versatile. I would say that he is the best overall player. Purdue built a team around Edy but TJD doesn't need that to make a team successful. He fits into any situation. If choosing a team, might take him over Edy as I don't have to craft the team around him

Collins said post game that he doesn’t care about rankings and I love that attitude. He snarked that the guys who might rank NU also projected them 13th/14th pre-season. I honestly don’t mind the lack of respect. Just keep building. This is fun.
I liked Collins' response to that partially because it was actually indifferent and not "Fitz chippy." Fitz actually gets cranky about this stuff, Collins truly seemed to not care. In basketball, he's 100% right, the top 25 rankings are a mostly meaningless opinion exercise. The rankings that matter come tournament time. Furthermore, NU is currently in outright second place in the conference and truly has some incredibly high accomplishments before it that can be earned exclusively on the court. It's not so much a snarky or disrespect to simply point out it really truly doesn't matter if they're ranked since finishing first or second in the Big Ten is the focus on the table.

KenPom only moves us up one spot to 46 after the win? How is that even possible?
Our NET ranking didn't move up at all. (At least we didn't drop.)

My understanding, though, is that it's not OUR ranking that matters to the committee, for the most part, but the number of quality wins we have (the rankings of the teams we beat).

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
I hope and pray that our dynamic duo of Chase and Boo carries us to the final 4 this year. I just worry if they might pull a payton ramsey and call it quits on top as champions and mvps?? Really really hope our nil will come thru and bring them back for another year. Not sure if kellogg would help out by offering them studies for their mba's??

Edy is probably player of the year but TJD should be a close second. He plays a different position and is much more versatile. I would say that he is the best overall player. Purdue built a team around Edy but TJD doesn't need that to make a team successful. He fits into any situation. If choosing a team, might take him over Edy as I don't have to craft the team around him
The thing that TJD can do that Edey can't is take a guy off the dribble at the top of the key. Makes him harder to defend. That said, I'd be surprised if TJD gets POtY over Edey, but there's still a lot of basketball left to play. Edey outplayed TJD in their first head to head matchup but IU won. If Edey outplays him again and Purdue wins in Mackey, I think that solidifies his claim for B1G POtY.

Reactions: hdhntr1
If Edey wins player of the year, I would not be surprised and would say he probably deserved it, but I saw a stark difference in the last two games. Sunday, when the pressure was on, Edey was visibly frustrated and made mistakes. Last night when the pressure was on, TJD put the team on his back and made one great play after another. Thankfully NU won both games, but if I had a vote, it would be for TJD.

If Edey wins player of the year, I would not be surprised and would say he probably deserved it, but I saw a stark difference in the last two games. Sunday, when the pressure was on, Edey was visibly frustrated and made mistakes. Last night when the pressure was on, TJD put the team on his back and made one great play after another. Thankfully NU won both games, but if I had a vote, it would be for TJD.
If we are going based solely on what I saw in the three games against these guys, I too would vote for TJD over Edey. He could just do much more. That said, I can't believe TJD hasn't developed a strong 15-18 foot jump shot. Maybe it's in his bag, but I haven't seen it yet. I don't think he's good enough to make an impact in the NBA without a jump shot. But sometimes, guys like him develop that shot after they've left college.

If we are going based solely on what I saw in the three games against these guys, I too would vote for TJD over Edey. He could just do much more. That said, I can't believe TJD hasn't developed a strong 15-18 foot jump shot. Maybe it's in his bag, but I haven't seen it yet. I don't think he's good enough to make an impact in the NBA without a jump shot. But sometimes, guys like him develop that shot after they've left college.
Both guys are so good. TJD is a monster. That IU fans complain about him...man, I don't know.

Amazing accomplishment to beat them back to back, but despite the dander that gets raised in this conference, it's a pleasure as a sports fan to get to watch guys like that in person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT